What's new

What factors determine or decide range of a missile

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am doing research on various missiles, specially cruise missiles. I have noticed one thing strange which led me to my curiosity on the kind of fuels used in cruise and ballistic missiles to deliver them on their target. Also how range is determined so my questions are

1. How many type of fuel are there which are used in missiles ?? I mean in its rockets
  2. Second question is how come USA tomahawk which according to various sights has length of 5.56 meters without booster and 6.25 with booster has ranges from 1300 KM to 1800 KM to 2500. On the other hand missile like Brahmos has only range of 300 KM, although Brahmos is 8 to 10 meters long.
So I would be grateful if someone can answer this.

@Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Dazzler @Path-Finder @Arsalan

I am doing research on various missiles, specially cruise missiles. I have noticed one thing strange which led me to my curiosity on the kind of fuels used in cruise and ballistic missiles to deliver them on their target. Also how range is determined so my questions are

1. How many type of fuel are there which are used in missiles ?? I mean in its rockets
  2. Second question is how come USA tomahawk which according to various sights has length of 5.56 meters without booster and 6.25 with booster has ranges from 1300 KM to 1800 KM to 2500. On the other hand missile like Brahmos has only range of 300 KM, although Brahmos is 8 to 10 meters long.

1) Propellant

2) Altitude

3) Sensors on board to optimize flight path

4) I won't say cuz....classified. :devil:

I'm no expert but possibly because:
USA's engines are superior to Russian ones.
Something along the lines of Brahmos being developed with Pakistan in mind (little depth) so it has less range, while Tomahawk was not. Or Brahmos expends its energy on going faster in a short amount of time while Tomahawk is subsonic and uses it for increasing its range.

It could be that Russia is concealing the real specs of Brahmos too. They are the most kanjoos in the world when it comes to revealing their military hardware's abilities.

How many type of fuel are there which are used in missiles ?? I mean in its rockets
Three basic types when cetagorized with respect to the physical state of rocket fuel.

Liquid, solid, hybrid.

Rocket/Missile fuel is combination of several compounds including oxidizers, catalysts and hydrocarbons (Refined Petroleum RP1). Their composition vary depending upon the type of Missile and it's propulsion system.

Second question is how come USA tomahawk which according to various sights has length of 5.56 meters without booster and 6.25 with booster has ranges from 1300 KM to 1800 KM to 2500. On the other hand missile like Brahmos has only range of 300 KM,
I guess the difference is primarily due to efficiency of Tomahawk propulsion system, difference in amount of fuel carried and missile overall weight differences. In general, subsonic missiles have longer range than supersonic missiles of same size as supersonic missiles consume more fuel to accelerate at high speed which compromises their max range.

Last edited:

cruise m use turbo fans. what fuel fo turbo fans need?

Brahmos has a ram jet engine. Tomahawk has a turbofan engine. A turbofan engine will be slower but with a lot more range.

Normally, there are two main categories, solid fuel and liquid fuel. Sometimes it can be a mixture of two (hybrid). Both these types offer certain advantages over the other and some disadvantages too. For example, a Solid Fuel rocket is easier to store (less risky), cheaper fuel cost BUT difficult to control combustion operation, lower efficiency. On other hand, the liquid fuel is more risky to manage and store but have higher efficiency and takes lesser space. The burning is more smooth and uniform and process control is easier.
Now in these two physically different types of fuel, the next difference is chemical. The different percentage of oxidizers, hydrocarbon etc make them different from each other.

As for range comparision of Brahmos and Tomahawk, this was a strange question. A Suzuki Cultus is longer, larger and bulkier, carries more fuel compared to a Honda 70cc bike. Still the Honda 70 have more range than the cultus! Why?
Because of engine efficiency!
Brahmos uses a high speed RamJet engine. It consumes more fuel compared to turbofan engine on tomahawk!

also whether you are flying east or west - that too determines the range.

Back
Top Bottom