What's new

We need trade, not aid, says Zardari

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
BRUSSELS: President Asif Ali Zardari said Wednesday he hoped to secure better access to European markets rather than more aid, ahead of a landmark EU-Pakistan summit focused in part on trade.

‘What I need is trade, not aid. I'm looking for MOUs (memoranda of understanding) and not IOUs and I intend to get them,’ he told journalists after meeting with Nato ambassadors in Brussels.

‘I'm always hopeful. I'm a man who has walked from the gallows to the presidency.’

Zardari was speaking shortly before heading to the first ever EU-Pakistan summit where trade links are to top the agenda with the ultimate goal being further down the line of a free trade agreement.

According to a draft text, the EU will ‘explore’ how Pakistan could benefit from its preferential tariff regime, which affords customs privileges in return for respecting principles in the areas of workers' rights and the environment.

Meanwhile, a European Commission official said the EU will pledge to give Pakistan 20 million euros in humanitarian aid to help cope with the aftermath of fighting in the Swat valley.

The official said the executive Commission would also urge member states to set aside a further 45 million euros in aid from a reserve fund during a summit that will discuss the fight against terrorism and trade.

‘The Commission will announce later today that the EU will give Pakistan 20 million euros in humanitarian aid,’ the official said before talks scheduled between President Zardari and EU officials.

‘The Commission will also request from member states and the European Parliament to provide an additional 45 million euros from the EU's reserve fund,’ the official said, referring to a fund set aside for emergencies.

The summit is the first between the 27-country EU and Pakistan. — AFP/Reuters
DAWN.COM | World | We need trade, not aid, says Zardari

Doesn't it counter Shah Mehmood Qureshi's version that Pakistan needs billions of more $$ in form of international aid?

Doesn't it counter Shah Mehmood Qureshi's version that Pakistan needs billions of more $$ in form of international aid?

Maybe this time Zardari decided to have some shame and not beg for aid, so he thought why not improve trade. Although with this summit the EU has announced some aid for Pakistan.

Maybe this time Zardari decided to have some shame and not beg for aid, so he thought why not improve trade. Although with this summit the EU has announced some aid for Pakistan.

Your point is taken. Although I was pointing more towards different versions about the aid from Zardari & Qureshi.

Qureshi's call was for the IDP issue post Swat operations. Zardari is talking with EU for long term dealings.

waisay kia fit tamasha lagaya hoa hay in logoon nay.. US say aid laynay kay baad boltay hain kay humain aid nahi trade chahiay.... bunday kay upnay mulk ke nahi to upni he izzat ka khial ker layna chahiay

may be he already fill his bank account, with this term thats why looking for trade now.

we need aid like f-16 and millitary stuff, NO food please. But if can't get that then let us trade some goods.

waisay kia fit tamasha lagaya hoa hay in logoon nay.. US say aid laynay kay baad boltay hain kay humain aid nahi trade chahiay.... bunday kay upnay mulk ke nahi to upni he izzat ka khial ker layna chahiay

courtesy of the people of pakistan who voted these idiots to power...

bibi bachae gi; khak bachana tha; lgta hai mulk bechne ka wqt agia hai aur US se deal kr k pakistan k totay krwaein ge ye sare log....

Back
Top Bottom