What's new

US: Video streaming App TikTok is threat to national security

smooth manifold

Reaction score
Country
China
https://www.technologyreview.com/f/...ional-security-china-censorship-data-privacy/

The US government has launched a national security review of the Chinese-owned video platform TikTok, according to Reuters. Authorities think the viral meme app that brought the summer smash “Old Town Road” could also bring down the US.

What’s TikTok? TikTok is a social network where users create and remix short videos set to music. Previously called Musical.ly, it was purchased by Chinese company ByteDance in 2017. As the first foreign app to grow popular in the US, it has been a major driver of popular culture, turning obscure musicians into chart-topping stars and teens into mini-celebrities.

So what’s the problem? There have been reports of the Islamic State posting propaganda on the app. An investigation by The Guardian suggested that TikTok censors videos Beijing doesn’t like.
Some experts fear that TikTok will share the data of American teens with the Chinese Communist Party or become a hose of foreign-controlled disinformation. Three US senators—Marco Rubio, Chuck Schumer, and Tom Cotton—have called for an investigation. Now the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US (CFIUS) is looking into whether it was okay for ByteDance to buy Musical.ly two years ago.

Next steps? There are a range of options, starting with auditing the company’s data practices. ByteDance might also be forced to sell its US business to a non-Chinese company, the way Grindr’s parent company was asked to sell the app because it had too much sensitive data. One big difference is that Grindr is a much smaller business than TikTok, so it might be hard to find a buyer, according to Claudia Biancotti, a visiting fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

The nuclear option would be to ban the app—either for certain people, such as military personnel, or in a total prohibition like the type that India enacted for two weeks in April after the country’s government became concerned it was exposing children to sexual content. A ban could create massive backlash, so it’s rather unlikely.

How is TikTok responding? TikTok recently hired lawmakers to help it develop content moderation guidelines, presumably ones that won’t be accused of censorship. It also insists that no data about American citizens is stored in the US, with Singapore as a backup. The company is already in talks with CFIUS, according to Reuters.

Because it is turning youngsters into retards.
And obviously the other reason that is Xi Jinping watches the tiktok videos of dancing teens before bedtime.

facebook needs to be banned
youtube needs to be banned
twitter needs to be banned
instagram needs to be banned
iphone needs to be banned
p0rnhub needs to be banned
Offcourse all foreign social media needs to be banned atleast in my country India , Chinese have done it. India should follow the Chinese model.
This social media platforms are nothing but blatant foreign meddling

Offcourse all foreign social media needs to be banned atleast in my country India , Chinese have done it. India should follow the Chinese model.
This social media platforms are nothing but blatant foreign meddling
True. While India has more than enough IT engineers to develop all those stuff by yourself if needed. Add Facebook, Google, Apple, Twitter developers all together, only tens of thousands. While India has millions, and you have hundreds of thousands IT engineers worldwide.

It's not that hard at all. India past government wasted at least 20 years, and allow those companies suck India money, spread fake news, manipulate elections, meddling internal affairs of India.

China did that, and very successful. If India did what China did 20 years ago, you should have your own google, facebook, youtube, twitter long time ago.
google ========> Baidu
facebook ========> Tencent
youtube ========> Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu
twitter ========> Weibo(Sina)

The only one Flipkart was bought by Walmart, I can assure you, Walmart will screw it up, Walmart has no internet DNA at all, it's a very traditional company.

It better to be US rival(enemy) than friend(ally), so that you can do whatever you like, don't bother to cater US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_Internet_companies
upload_2019-11-29_21-35-27.png

Mary Meeker: China now has nine of the world’s biggest internet companies — almost as many as the U.S.
Screen_Shot_2018_05_30_at_10.18.53_AM.png

True. While India has more than enough IT engineers to develop all those stuff by yourself if needed. Add Facebook, Google, Apple, Twitter developers all together, only tens of thousands. While India has millions, and you have hundreds of thousands IT engineers worldwide.

It's not that hard at all. India past government wasted at least 20 years, and allow those companies suck India money, spread fake news, manipulate elections, meddling internal affairs of India.

China did that, and very successful. If India did what China did 20 years ago, you should have your own google, facebook, youtube, twitter long time ago.
google ========> Baidu
facebook ========> Tencent
youtube ========> Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu
twitter ========> Weibo(Sina)

The only one Flipkart was bought by Walmart, I can assure you, Walmart will screw it up, Walmart has no internet DNA at all, it's a very traditional company.

It better to be US rival(enemy) than friend(ally), so that you can do whatever you like, don't bother to cater US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_Internet_companies
View attachment 592050
Mary Meeker: China now has nine of the world’s biggest internet companies — almost as many as the U.S.
Screen_Shot_2018_05_30_at_10.18.53_AM.png
I agree we have ample talent to develop one. But due to years of colonization has made us Indians fall for white superiority (yes this is true).
We already have messaging apps like Hike , even we have an Indian version of Twitter but we Indians love to support foreign platforms.
Platforms like FB and Twitter blatantly manipulate and spread fake news against us.
Terrorists use these same platforms to coordinate their attacks. Lets see i hope we learn from the chinese.
Today the west is interfering HongKong
Tomorrow we might be their next target.

I agree we have ample talent to develop one. But due to years of colonization has made us Indians fall for white superiority (yes this is true).
We already have messaging apps like Hike , even we have an Indian version of Twitter but we Indians love to support foreign platforms.
Platforms like FB and Twitter blatantly manipulate and spread fake news against us.
Terrorists use these same platforms to coordinate their attacks. Lets see i hope we learn from the chinese.
Today the west is interfering HongKong
Tomorrow we might be their next target.
India have similar population of China. While internet companies heavily rely on populations.
Add China Top IT companies market cap together, you got trillions $. Growth rate is much higher than other companies.

I don't see why India did not ban. By doing it all yourself, you create tens of thousands high pay engineering jobs, hundreds of thousands of mid pay jobs, such as accounting, sales, manufacturing, tax, consulting, etc. and millions of mid to low pay jobs which work for those companies as contractors, vendors.

Get those Indian engineers back to India, give them as high salary as in the US/Europe, that's what China is doing.

Let them drain your most talent brain, who made this stupid policy?

India have similar population of China. While internet companies heavily rely on populations.
Add China Top IT companies market cap together, you got trillions $. Growth rate is much higher than other companies.

I don't see why India did not ban. By doing it all yourself, you create tens of thousands high pay engineering jobs, hundreds of thousands of mid pay jobs, such as accounting, sales, manufacturing, tax, consulting, etc. and millions of mid to low pay jobs which work for those companies as contractors, vendors.

Get those Indian engineers back to India, give them as high salary as in the US/Europe, that's what China is doing.

Let them drain your most talent brain, who made this stupid policy?
Absolutely agree with u. But u know we have pathetic democracy infested with vestes interests of politicians. Every politician is an asset of foreign MNCs who will do everything to scuttle domestic competition.....FB thrives on Indian market yet work against us. Most American companies earn billions from indian market yet lecture us on various platforms.
One thing i like about Chinese is they mind their own business. If u keep out of their issues ,they will keep out of yours.
Same Indian engineers will thrive in America. This is the problem

Absolutely agree with u. But u know we have pathetic democracy infested with vestes interests of politicians. Every politician is an asset of foreign MNCs who will do everything to scuttle domestic competition.....FB thrives on Indian market yet work against us. Most American companies earn billions from indian market yet lecture us on various platforms.
One thing i like about Chinese is they mind their own business. If u keep out of their issues ,they will keep out of yours.
Same Indian engineers will thrive in America. This is the problem
I heard foreign funded NGOs are better controlled, how is it now?
Oh, btw, Dragon Ball is my favorite. I have full collection of this cartoon.
And Son Goku is Chinese ancient character. His mission is protecting his master(the monk, 唐三藏 玄奘 ) to India 1400 years ago.

孙悟空 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goku
玄奘 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanzang

Last edited:
I heard foreign funded NGOs are better controlled, how is it now?
Oh, btw, Dragon Ball is my favorite. I have full collection of this cartoon.
And Son Goku is Chinese ancient character. His mission is protecting his master(the monk, 唐三藏 玄奘 ) to India 1400 years ago.

孙悟空 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goku
玄奘 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanzang
Even mine. Yup i know the story. Character Goku is indeed inspired from Chinese character Sun Wukong / Monkey king. While according to some scholars , Sun Wukong is itself based upon Hindu Monkey king called Hanuman from ancient Indian epic Ramayana.
If u see Hanuman , he exactly resembles Sayans.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_King

Back
Top Bottom