What's new

US firm offers V-22 Osprey as VVIP choppers to India

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
US firm offers V-22 Osprey as VVIP choppers to India

V-22_Osprey_tiltrotor_aircraft.jpg

After India scrapped a contract for procuring VVIP choppers from AgustaWestland, American firm Textron today said it is ready to offer its unique V-22 Osprey helicopter to India for ferrying its dignitaries.

"We are ready to offer to India the V-22 Osprey in the VIP configuration through the Foreign Military Sales route. It is a unique and competitive product," Textron India President and Managing Director Inderjit Sial told PTI.

He was asked about the possibility of offering any chopper of Bell Helicopters, an arm of Textron, for meeting the VVIP chopper requirements of the IAF.

The government scrapped the contract with AgustaWestland, accusing it of breaching a pre-contract integrity pact and other contractual obligations in the Rs 3,600 crore contract.

India has so far received only three choppers from the Anglo-Italian firm and is considering the option of using Mi-17V5 choppers being procured from Russia for the purpose.

Sial said the V-22 Osprey has already been inducted into the American President's fleet in VVIP configuration and is being used to ferry his entourage.

The V-22 is a unique tilt-rotor aircraft designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft.

Meanwhile, in view of the ongoing CBI inquiry into the 197 choppers procurement case, Textron said it was ready to offer its Bell 407 light helicopters if India decides to buy them.

The tender is under the CBI lens after it was found that an Army Brigadier had sought a bribe allegedly from AgustaWestland for swinging the deal in its favour. A document in this regard was seized by Italian investigators while investigating the VVIP chopper scam after which a CBI probe was ordered.

Link - US firm offers VVIP choppers to India | NDTV.com

No need of such costly Weapons for VIP's...We will handle them the way it is today....

Not even Obama rides around in these things (although they are a part of of USMC's HMX but only in a support role). Not only is cost an issue but these things are HUGE. So it would be rather impractical as a head of state helicopter.

The only plausible thing about this is the FMS route-this would avoid any such accusations of graft and such. Maybe the S-92 through this route, Sikorsky have already stated their intent- this looks entirely feasible.....

Order them for the poor of this country...But not for VIP's:hitwall:
STOP with this BS. These helos would ONLY be used for the very highest officials of YOUR country. They are deserving of the best India can afford. Even if you don't like politicians or a particular party the ones who would be flying in this would be the ministers of some of India's most critical ministries. Only the 3 service chiefs the PM, President, Vice President and senior-most cabinet ministers such as the Def minister would be eligible to fly. Don't you think these institutions need to be protected?

There needs to be made a distinction between the VIP culture in India ie MPs and the like running around with read beacons and convoys which is UTTER HORSE CR@P and VVIPs who are genuinely deserving of the best protection India has to offer. It is the low-level fools with substantially over proportional security that see such things as status symbols, that have distorted public perception to the point where some fools think no one is deserving of such measures.

I've heard the same arguments being made against the SPG and people criticising them for being so well equipped.

It's all borne out of ignorance. People don't understand who these helos are for not do they understand who the SPG protects.

Like it or not India is an emerging power with quite a bit of money on its side so it can afford such things now and India also has a serious threat risk to its highest officials and this they deserve protection.

@Abingdonboy Bro...i like your posts...But i had to differ here...
First of all, All the VVIP's are already surviving in india for last 67 years...
Second what is the point of taking heavy helicopters fir VVIP's...A medium class would be sufficient...
Whats wrong with the current DHRUV to be used by defence chiefs? Beggars cannot be choosers!!!

AAndhi pise kutta khaye!

Do we really need to spend so much for these people?

Last edited:
I highly doubt it will ever come true, the aircraft is not meant for such role, it would be better for the army to use it and in the future with the navy for quick deployment of forces. The VIP's don't require such aircraft specially when a helicopter can do the same job with better results and much less costs.

@Abingdonboy Bro...i like your posts...But i had to differ here...
First of all, All the VVIP's are already surviving in india for last 67 years...
Second what is the point of taking heavy helicopters fir VVIP's...A medium class would be sufficient...
Whats wrong with the current DHRUV to be used by defence chiefs? Beggars cannot be choosers!!!
Bro look at post #3 I've stated there's no need for the V-22 in this role and why I think this.

What is needed is a medium class helo with a large and talk cabin- this is why the likes of the AW-101 was perfect! Now maybe the S-92 will save the day.

The Dhruv's cabin is simply too small. It is the Advanced LIGHT Helicopter after all. Yes it advertised as a medium class helo but it is on the lower end of the class.

And the point about VVIPs surviving for 67 years is moot because a) they all haven't- India has lost a number of them over the years and more importantly b) things change threats change and evolve. Back in the 1900s the POTUS used to walk during his inauguration from the capital building to the White House or travel in an open top cart- now look at the spectacle. JFK was travelling in an open top car when he was assassinated because it was thought to be safe AT THE TIME. Context is key. Today in 2014 things are VERY different. The threats faced by India's top leadership are extreme and varied and very real.

Back
Top Bottom