What's new

U.S. official warns of China, Taiwan conflict

gpit

Reaction score
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama's top intelligence official suggested Thursday that China's massive military spending will spur continued U.S. arms sales to Taiwan in order to maintain a military balance in the potentially dangerous Taiwan Strait.

National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair told lawmakers that China's double-digit annual percentage military spending increases — last year's budget jumped 17.6 percent to about $61 billion — “pose a reater threat to Taiwan.”

“Unless Taiwan does something about it, then we're really the only other country helping them do it,” Blair said. “That means we're going to have to help them some more in order to maintain a balance.”

Much of China's military is focused on rival Taiwan, which relies on U.S. weapons and technology to counter the hundreds of missiles China aims at the self-governing island Beijing claims as its own territory.

U.S. arms sales to Taiwan are a persistent source of U.S.-China tension — Beijing was infuriated by the Bush administration's announcement last year of a US$6.5 billion arms package for Taiwan. The United States is required to provide the island with weapons to defend itself and has hinted it would come to Taiwan's aid if mainland forces invaded. But Washington is also wary of angering China, a major trading partner and fellow U.N. Security Council member.

Blair, a retired admiral who heads 16 U.S. intelligence agencies, told a Senate panel that the United States must continue to “make sure that military adventures are unattractive” to both sides. He indicated that the U.S. feels responsible for striking a balance in the Strait.

“Taiwan should not be so defenseless that it feels it has to do everything that China says. On the other hand, China cannot be so overwhelming that it can bully Taiwan,” Blair said, answering congressional questions about the U.S. intelligence agencies' latest assessment of threats to the United States.

He also cautioned that “Taiwan has to realize that its long-term security lies in some sort of an arrangement with China. It does not lie in military defenses.”

Taiwan and China split amid civil war in 1949, and Beijing threatens to attack should Taiwan formalize its de facto independence. The United States and China came close to conflict over Taiwan in 1996, when President Bill Clinton deployed warships in response to China lobbing missiles into waters near Taiwan.

Blair called recent warming ties between China and Taiwan “positive” and “very encouraging.” New Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou has worked to defuse tensions and expand trade with China.

But Blair also said in testimony that Chinese “preparations for a possible Taiwan conflict continue to drive the modernization goals of the People's Liberation Army and the Chinese defense-industrial complex.”

U.S. official warns of China, Taiwan conflict - The China Post

“That means we're going to have to help them some more in order to maintain a balance.”

I believe US also promised to gradually reduce the sale of weapon to TW. How come those politicians conveniently forget this?!

All are democratic liars. :tdown:

I believe US also promised to gradually reduce the sale of weapon to TW. How come those politicians conveniently forget this?!

All are democratic liars. :tdown:

Hey buddy this Democratic party is just a Media hype.. in-reality they are incompetent to complete a sole task. I hope with this stimulus we are not on the urge of collapse.

American weapons Cant Hold Back the MIGHT of the Chinese and If China wants Taiwan she can Take it but I think China has Changed her Strategy towards Taiwan and now they want Good relations with Taiwan and War is not an Option for China they want to Solve it Peacefully through Mutual Dialogue and Understanding.

USA on the Other hand wants to keep a Check on china Through Taiwan.

US is in a economic mess, right now its economy can't risk another conflict. IMO i think this is the right time for China to act if it ever wants to take Taiwan back.

US is in a economic mess, right now its economy can't risk another conflict. IMO i think this is the right time for China to act if it ever wants to take Taiwan back.

USA also wants to sell weapons to Taiwan and India as soon as Possible Because Many Defence Industries in USA are Fighting for their Survival. USA just needs Money they don't care about suffering of others.

First of all, get your nose out of other peoples' internal affairs.

Taiwan is a non-negotiable issue; and yes, we are willing to risk nuclear warfare over it. No questions asked.

Taiwan will always stay part of China.

U.S. can't afford another war especially with China.

China is too powerful.

the next scenario will show the Taiwan administration (KMT) whittling desire for US arms, in accordance with the warming up cross-straits relations.

economically Taiwan needs the mainland much more than mainland does to Taiwan, while weapons purchases can only get Taiwan targeted by more upgraded missiles from mainland side. they've been paying for nothing like safety.

I guess the Chinese government has got the clue of limiting US armsales to Taiwan: strengthening up economic ties and folk cultural communication, synchronously desalting ideological divergence. beside above the Diaoyu islands could be used as a very subtle chessman.

American weapons Cant Hold Back the MIGHT of the Chinese and If China wants Taiwan she can Take it but I think China has Changed her Strategy towards Taiwan and now they want Good relations with Taiwan and War is not an Option for China they want to Solve it Peacefully through Mutual Dialogue and Understanding.

USA on the Other hand wants to keep a Check on china Through Taiwan.

Man I am right there with you on this. If China wants it can take Taiwan but like you said I think it does want peace. And like any other sovern nation China has every right to increase its defence spending. I heard most of it went to raising wages of its armed forces. Is that true?

Anyone Chinese brother know if what heard is true please answer?

Man I am right there with you on this. If China wants it can take Taiwan but like you said I think it does want peace. And like any other sovern nation China has every right to increase its defence spending. I heard most of it went to raising wages of its armed forces. Is that true?

Anyone Chinese brother know if what heard is true please answer?

In 2005 for example, 18 out of the increased 25.2 billion rmb was used to raise wages and welfare(e.g. food service standard).

Now a Chinese soldier earns at least 10 times he did 5 years ago.

But was that included in the defence spending that increased

First of all, get your nose out of other peoples' internal affairs.

Taiwan is a non-negotiable issue; and yes, we are willing to risk nuclear warfare over it. No questions asked.

what the use of :blah:
action require to take taiwan . china still afraid of usa .whether we like it or not usa is super power :lol:

Back
Top Bottom