What's new

Turkey Extends Condolences to Armenian People

HRK

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Turkey Extends Condolences to Armenian People

MOSCOW, April 23 (RIA Novosti) – Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan offered unprecedented condolences to the Armenian people in a statement published on his official website Wednesday.

"It is with this hope and belief that we wish that the Armenians who lost their lives in the context of the early 20th century rest in peace, and we convey our condolences to their grandchildren," Erdoğan said in the statement.

The prime minister’s remarks were unprecedented, as such a commiseration message with the Armenian people on behalf of the Turkish state has never been sent in the past.

Erdoğan stressed the importance of freedom of expression and the respect of plurality regarding the understanding of historical processes.

The statement was issued a day before the 99th anniversary of the Armenian tragedy. Armenia and Turkey have different views on the mass deaths of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire during World War I, which Armenians consider a genocide, while Turkey clams the killings should be understood in the context of the war.

Earlier this month, a US resolution recognizing the killings of Armenians during the war as genocide passed the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, but failed to pass the procedural hurdles needed to bring it to a vote by the full Senate.
===========================================================

Cyprus-Mail-LogoTop1.jpg

Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 Armenia killings

By Jonny Hogg

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan offered what the government said were unprecedented condolences on Wednesday to the grandchildren of Armenians killed in World War One by Ottoman soldiers.

In a statement issued on the eve of the 99th anniversary of the deeply contested deaths, Erdogan unexpectedly described the events of 1915 as “inhumane”, using more conciliatory language than has often been the case for Turkish leaders.

Turkish government officials said it was the first time a Turkish prime minister had offered such explicit condolences and described the statement as a historic step, but Erdogan’s words were dismissed as “cold-hearted and cynical” by an influential US-based Armenian advocacy group.

The exact nature and scale of what happened during fighting that started in 1915 is highly contentious and continues to sour relations between Turkey and Armenia, a former Soviet republic.

Turkey accepts that many Armenians died in clashes, but denies that up to 1.5 million were killed and that this constituted an act of genocide – a term used by many Western historians and foreign parliaments.

Earlier in April, for example, a US Senate committee resolution branded the massacre of Armenians as genocide.

Erdogan’s statement – unusually released in nine different languages including Armenian – repeated previous calls for dialogue between the two countries, and the setting up of a historical commission to probe events surrounding the killings.

“It is with this hope and belief that we wish that the Armenians who lost their lives in the context of the early 20th century rest in peace, and we convey our condolences to their grandchildren,” he said.

“Having experienced events which had inhumane consequences – such as relocation – during the First World War, should not prevent Turks and Armenians from establishing compassion and mutually humane attitudes among towards one another.”

ON THE DEFENSIVE

Although striking a conciliatory tone, Erdogan re-iterated a long-held Turkish position that the deaths of millions of people during the violence of the period should be remembered “without discriminating as to religion or ethnicity”.

Turkey is a Muslim state, while Armenia is Christian.

“Using the events of 1915 as an excuse for hostility against Turkey and turning this issue into a matter of political conflict is inadmissible,” he added.

Armenia has up to now declined the offer for a joint historical commission, as it regards the alleged genocide as an established historical fact and believes Turkey would use such a commission to press its own version of events.

Armenia accuses the Ottoman authorities at the time of systematically massacring large numbers of Armenians, then deporting many more, including women, children and the elderly and infirm in terrible conditions on so-called death marches.

The executive director of the Armenian National Committee of America said that Turkey was increasingly isolated over its version of what happened in 1915.

“Ankara is repackaging its genocide denials,” Aram Hamparian said in response to Erdogan’s remarks. “The fact remains that, as this cold-hearted and cynical ploy so plainly demonstrates, Turkey is, today, escalating its denial of truth and obstruction of justice for the Armenian Genocide.”

No one from the Armenian government was immediately available to comment. Armenian President Serzh Sarksyan is due to address the nation on Thursday morning during an annual “genocide” day speech.

Last December, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made Turkey’s first high-level visit to Armenia in nearly five years, raising the prospect of a revival in peace efforts between the historical rivals which stalled in 2010.

Turkey cut ties and shut its border with Armenia in 1993 in support of Turkic-speaking Azerbaijan, which was then fighting a losing battle against Armenian separatists in Karabakh. The frontier remains closed.
======================================================================

ADN.png

Turkey calls WWI Armenian killings 'shared pain'

ANKARA, TURKEY — Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday offered an unprecedented, conciliatory message to Armenians on the eve of the anniversary of the massacre of Armenians almost a century ago.

Erdogan called the events of World War I "our shared pain" and acknowledged that the deportation of Armenians in 1915 had "inhumane consequences."

Erdogan released a statement in Turkish, Armenian and seven other languages, expressing hope that those killed are in peace and offering Turkey's condolences to their descendants. The message came a day before Armenians mark the 99th anniversary of the killings in 1915 by Ottoman Turks.

The episode is considered by many historians as the first genocide of the 20th century. They estimate that about 1.5 million Armenians died. Turkey rejects the term genocide, saying those figures are inflated and there were deaths on both sides as the Ottoman Empire collapsed.

Erdogan, in his message, acknowledged that the deportations had dire consequences, but did not use the term "genocide." He said millions of people "of all religions and ethnicities" lost their lives during the war.

"The incidents of the First World War are our shared pain," Erdogan's message read.

The Armenian National Committee of America dismissed Erdogan's statement as "simply 99 years of genocide denial repackaged."

"Mr. Erdogan's statement ... is a patently transparent attempt to mute international condemnation and calls for justice for the centrally planned and systematically executed campaign of murder and deportation," the group said.

Erdogan said the events should not prevent "Turks and Armenians from establishing compassion and mutually humane attitudes toward one another."

"Using the events of 1915 as an excuse for hostility against Turkey and turning this issue into a matter of political conflict is inadmissible," Erdogan said.

Erdogan also renewed a Turkish proposal for a joint study of the events involving scholars from both nations.
================================================================
Erdogan Offers Unexpected Condolences for Armenian Killings

Reuters
April 23, 2014 9:21 AM

ANKARA — Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan offered what the government said were unprecedented condolences on Wednesday to the grandchildren of Armenians killed in World War I by Ottoman soldiers.

In a statement issued on the eve of the 99th anniversary of the deeply contested deaths, Erdogan unexpectedly described the events of 1915 as “inhumane”, using more conciliatory language than has often been the case for Turkish leaders.

A Turkish government official said it was the first time a Turkish prime minister had offered such explicit condolences, but it was not immediately clear if it would be enough to bring about a thaw in relations between Ankara and its neighbor.

The exact nature and scale of what happened during fighting that started in 1915 is highly contentious and continues to sour relations between Turkey and Armenia, a former Soviet republic.

Turkey accepts that many Armenians died in clashes, but denies that up to 1.5 million were killed and that this constituted an act of genocide - a term used by many Western historians and foreign parliaments.

Earlier in April, for example, a U.S. Senate committee resolution branded the massacre of Armenians as genocide.

Erdogan's statement - unusually released in nine different languages including Armenian - repeated previous calls for dialog between the two countries, and the setting up of a historical commission to probe events surrounding the killings.

“It is with this hope and belief that we wish that the Armenians who lost their lives in the context of the early 20th century rest in peace, and we convey our condolences to their grandchildren,” he said.

“Having experienced events which had inhumane consequences - such as relocation - during the First World War, should not prevent Turks and Armenians from establishing compassion and mutually humane attitudes among towards one another.”

On the defensive

Although striking a conciliatory tone, Erdogan re-iterated a longheld Turkish position that the deaths of millions of people during the violence of the period should be remembered “without discriminating as to religion or ethnicity”.

Turkey is a Muslim state, while Armenia is Christian.

“Using the events of 1915 as an excuse for hostility against Turkey and turning this issue into a matter of political conflict is inadmissible,” he added.

Armenia has up to now declined the offer for a joint historical commission, as it regards the alleged genocide as an established historical fact and believes Turkey would use such a commission to press its own version of events.

Armenia accuses the Ottoman authorities at the time of systematically massacring large numbers of Armenians, then deporting many more, including women, children and the elderly and infirm in terrible conditions on so-called death marches.

Last December, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu made Turkey's first high-level visit to Armenia in nearly five years, raising the prospect of a revival in peace efforts between the historical rivals which stalled in 2010.

Turkey cut ties and shut its border with Armenia in 1993 in support of Turkic-speaking Azerbaijan, which was then fighting a losing battle against Armenian separatists in Karabakh. The frontier remains closed.

Last edited:
Among many documents in foreign archives which are often ignored or concealed, a document in Russia’s official archives shows Armenians carried out mass killings in 1915. The 65 page report was written by Russian Brigadier General Leonid Bolkhovinitov, who was stationed in the Caucasus front, and dispatched to the Russian military headquarters on December 11, 1915 and titled “The Real Situation.”

It constitutes a follow-up to a report submitted to the Russian Tsar by Armenians on “The Activities of the Armenian Voluntary Bands in the Caucasus.” Bolkhovinitov says in his report that “Armenian voluntary units had started violent slaughters against the Muslim people with racist motives,” and that Armenian reports given to the Russians did not reflect the actual situation in the region. The Russian official states in his report that “We shall not believe in the death tolls that the Armenians give. The number of missing people has been constantly exaggerated in the memos distributed by the Dashnak party and there is no doubt that they are politically-motivated.

Bolkhovinitov’s report also underlines that the history of the events which he dubs the “Armenian Problem” go back to 1890. Some of the important findings Bolkhovinitov lists in his report are:

• European diplomats imposed the ideas of an “Independent Armenia” on the Armenians. Armenian intellectuals in spreading seditious ideology among Armenians in the Ottoman Empire and designed the plan of shedding enough blood to bring about European intervention.
  • Armenian terrorist organizations waged violence not only against Ottoman Muslims but also against Armenians who did not cooperate with them.
  • Armenian voluntary bands engaged in brutal massacres against the Muslim population in the occupied areas; ethnically cleansed the Muslim population regardless of gender and age, plundered and destroyed the villages. These actions are systematic.
According to Bolhovitinov’s report, Armenian voluntary bands who joined the Russian forces during World War I wreaked havoc on the civilian population of Anatolia. The report includes photographs of the notorious Armenian “Kazar” and “Sepuh” bands, which, according to Bolhovitinov, not even the Russians were able keep under control.

A Fabricated Genocide | A half truth is a whole lie…

Now let's wait for the armenians. Turkey challenged Armenia and 3rd parties to open their archives years ago (but no common research has been conducted so far) and now also apologized. What will Armenia do? Stick to the childish 'i don't hear you and i don't want to debate with you, because i know i'm right' attitude?
Let's see an apology from them too, if they are men enough. Or are the killed Ottoman Turkish citizens at the hands of Russia backed Ottoman Armenian backstabbers not worthy of an apology?
Anyway good move, now the ball (still) lies in armenia's hands.

Now let's wait for the armenians. Turkey challenged Armenia and 3rd parties to open their archives years ago (but no common research has been conducted so far) and now also apologized. What will Armenia do? Stick to the childish 'i don't hear you and i don't want to debate with you, because i know i'm right' attitude?
Let's see an apology from them too, if they are men enough. Or are the killed Ottoman Turkish citizens at the hands of Russia backed Ottoman Armenian backstabbers not worthy of an apology?
Anyway good move, now the ball (still) lies in armenia's hands.
You seriously wait for a constructive action from their side?
Now that the apology part is done, next step is asking for Ararat mountain and north eastern Turkey, Armenia will never stop with their demands.
They wanna open a border which they dont even recongnise, funny people these Armenians. :disagree:

You seriously wait for a constructive action from their side?
Now that the apology part is done, next step is asking for Ararat mountain and north eastern Turkey, Armenia will never stop with their demands.
They wanna open a border which they dont even recongnise, funny people these Armenians. :disagree:
They, Armenians and French, couldn't take what they wanted through force, so i highly believe this 'genocide' is nothing but an European tool to harm Turkey as a revenge for their failure. Otherwise those certain Europeans, who also happen to be number 1 at committing genocides themselves, themselves know well the facts. If they were so confident of themselves, they would urge Armenia to open their archives now. Of course i don't expdct anything serious from them, but people must see Armenia and some European's dirty game.

O
Even when some people on PDF see the evidence I post they get scared to go into the Armenian issue because they know we are right.

Look what this American historian has to say.
"Their claim is false, but they still believe it"
ne more thing that alot of people either ignore or dont even look at, is the atrocities committed by the Greeks against the Turkish Muslims, by the armenians, and also by the russians when they conquered all of the x Muslims countries. We have had our own genocide, just no one wants to really talk about it, after all we live in a world where gengish khan is a hero.

Erdogan is an idiot basically what he said is one more proof of it.
My home region is forever lost to those terrorists and i never heared the Turkish government saying something about it.

Last edited:
Here is the respond from Armenians.

139833345547351.jpg

139833346634316.jpg

139833346144659.jpg

Sons of whores have balls to burn our flag in their country...... if you have beef with us ,face us in the battlefield. Coward, weak pussies.
sometimes when i see such F'ed up people, the devil in me wishes that our ancestors had committed genocide on them and then say sorry now. I mean, look at Russia and Europe, they killed so many people, yet no one is talking about them, despite their lousy 'sorry'. At least if our ancestors had committed genocide, we would be free of Armenians and our Azeri bros wouldnt have had to suffer either. i mean, right now we are getting treated in the same bad way, whether our ancestors did it or not.

My home region is forever lost to those terrorists and i never heared the Turkish government saying something about it.
Erdogan didn't say specifically sorry to Armenians, but rather to all lost Ottoman subjects, uncluding Armenians. I hope people will awake and realize that those Armenians killed lots of our people too. Perhaps we should start a genocide on Ottoman Turks and Kurds claim against Armenians.

Are you from the Caucasus bro?

Back
Top Bottom