What's new

Three Japan-born men win Nobel Prize in physics for blue LEDs

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
c946e002d5995d85450436314f9ae4be.jpg

STOCKHOLM – Three Japan-born scientists — Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura — won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for the invention of blue light-emitting diodes — a new energy-efficient and environmentally friendly light source.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said the invention is just 20 years old, “but it has already contributed to create white light in an entirely new manner to the benefit of us all.”

Akasaki, 85, is a professor at Meijo University and distinguished professor at Nagoya University. Amano, 54, is also a professor at Nagoya University, while the 60-year-old Nakamura is a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

The laureates triggered a transformation of lighting technology when they produced bright blue light from semiconductors in the 1990s, something scientist had struggled with for decades, the Nobel committee said.

Using the blue light, LED lamps emitting white light could be created in a new way.

“They succeeded where everyone else had failed,” the Nobel committee said. “Incandescent light bulbs lit the 20th century; the 21st century will be lit by LED lamps.”

Nakamura, who spoke to reporters in Stockholm over a crackling telephone line after being woken up by the phone call from the prize jury, said it was an amazing and unbelievable feeling.

Later, he said in a statement from his university: “It is very satisfying to see that my dream of LED lighting has become a reality. I hope that energy-efficient LED light bulbs will help reduce energy use and lower the cost of lighting worldwide.”

At Meijo University in Nagoya, Akasaki said in a nationally televised news conference that he had often been told that his research wouldn’t bear fruit within the 20th century.

“But I never felt that way,” he said. “I was just doing what I wanted to do.”

Akasaki and Amano made their inventions while working at Nagoya University while Nakamura was working separately at Nichia Chemicals. They built their own equipment and carried out thousands of experiments — many of which failed — before they made their breakthroughs.

The awards for Akasaki, Amano and Nakamura brings the total number of Japanese and Japan-born recipients to have won the Nobel Prize in physics to 10.

The last time a Japanese won a Nobel Prize was in 2012 when scientist Shinya Yamanaka, a 52-year-old Kyoto University professor, won that year’s Nobel in physiology or medicine along with John Gurdon of Britain.

“The blue LED is a fundamental invention that is rapidly changing the way we bring light to every corner of the home, the street and the workplace — a practical invention that comes from a fundamental understanding of physics in the solid state,” said H. Frederick Dylla, the executive director and CEO of the American Institute of Physics.

Phillip Schewe, a physicist at the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, said the prize shows that physics research can provide a practical benefit, rather than just probing the mysteries of the universe.

On Monday, U.S.-British scientist John O’Keefe split the Nobel Prize in medicine with Norwegian couple May-Britt Moser and Edvard Moser for breakthroughs in brain cell research that could pave the way for a better understanding of diseases like Alzheimer’s.

The Nobel award in chemistry will be announced Wednesday, followed by the literature award on Thursday and the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday. The economics prize will be announced next Monday, completing the 2014 Nobel Prize announcements.

Worth 8 million kronor ($1.1 million) each, the Nobel Prizes are always handed out on Dec. 10, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel’s death in 1896. Besides the prize money, each laureate receives a diploma and a gold medal.

Nobel, a wealthy Swedish industrialist who invented dynamite, provided few directions for how to select winners, except that the prize committees should reward those who “have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind.”

Last year’s physics award went to Britain’s Peter Higgs and Belgian colleague Francois Englert for helping to explain how matter formed after the Big Bang.

Three Japan-born men win Nobel Prize in physics for blue LEDs | The Japan Times

I read this article 5 times, and wikipedia LED 2 times.

So they made a Blue LED to combine with the existing Red and Pure Green LEDs to make an energy efficient White LED?

Explain this to me Dr. @Nihonjin1051

View attachment 121950

STOCKHOLM – Three Japan-born scientists — Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura — won the Nobel Prize in physics Tuesday for the invention of blue light-emitting diodes — a new energy-efficient and environmentally friendly light source.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences said the invention is just 20 years old, “but it has already contributed to create white light in an entirely new manner to the benefit of us all.”

Akasaki, 85, is a professor at Meijo University and distinguished professor at Nagoya University. Amano, 54, is also a professor at Nagoya University, while the 60-year-old Nakamura is a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

The laureates triggered a transformation of lighting technology when they produced bright blue light from semiconductors in the 1990s, something scientist had struggled with for decades, the Nobel committee said.

Using the blue light, LED lamps emitting white light could be created in a new way.

“They succeeded where everyone else had failed,” the Nobel committee said. “Incandescent light bulbs lit the 20th century; the 21st century will be lit by LED lamps.”

Nakamura, who spoke to reporters in Stockholm over a crackling telephone line after being woken up by the phone call from the prize jury, said it was an amazing and unbelievable feeling.

Later, he said in a statement from his university: “It is very satisfying to see that my dream of LED lighting has become a reality. I hope that energy-efficient LED light bulbs will help reduce energy use and lower the cost of lighting worldwide.”

At Meijo University in Nagoya, Akasaki said in a nationally televised news conference that he had often been told that his research wouldn’t bear fruit within the 20th century.

Akasaki and Amano made their inventions while working at Nagoya University while Nakamura was working separately at Nichia Chemicals. They built their own equipment and carried out thousands of experiments — many of which failed — before they made their breakthroughs.

The awards for Akasaki, Amano and Nakamura brings the total number of Japanese and Japan-born recipients to have won the Nobel Prize in physics to 10.

The last time a Japanese won a Nobel Prize was in 2012 when scientist Shinya Yamanaka, a 52-year-old Kyoto University professor, won that year’s Nobel in physiology or medicine along with John Gurdon of Britain.

“The blue LED is a fundamental invention that is rapidly changing the way we bring light to every corner of the home, the street and the workplace — a practical invention that comes from a fundamental understanding of physics in the solid state,” said H. Frederick Dylla, the executive director and CEO of the American Institute of Physics.

Phillip Schewe, a physicist at the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, said the prize shows that physics research can provide a practical benefit, rather than just probing the mysteries of the universe.

On Monday, U.S.-British scientist John O’Keefe split the Nobel Prize in medicine with Norwegian couple May-Britt Moser and Edvard Moser for breakthroughs in brain cell research that could pave the way for a better understanding of diseases like Alzheimer’s.

The Nobel award in chemistry will be announced Wednesday, followed by the literature award on Thursday and the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday. The economics prize will be announced next Monday, completing the 2014 Nobel Prize announcements.

Worth 8 million kronor ($1.1 million) each, the Nobel Prizes are always handed out on Dec. 10, the anniversary of prize founder Alfred Nobel’s death in 1896. Besides the prize money, each laureate receives a diploma and a gold medal.

Nobel, a wealthy Swedish industrialist who invented dynamite, provided few directions for how to select winners, except that the prize committees should reward those who “have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind.”

Last year’s physics award went to Britain’s Peter Higgs and Belgian colleague Francois Englert for helping to explain how matter formed after the Big Bang.

Congratulations to the scientists and to Japanese people. These brilliant scientists did a great service to humanity. LED incandescent lights are getting lower in cost and I bought a few to test them in my home. Mercury lights are dangerous and bad for the environment as they have toxic Mercury in them. These LED lights now will get cheaper and more people will be replacing the Mercury and other types of lights with LED lights, which are more energy efficient as they produce little heat and also they last much longer than any other type of lights.

I read this article 5 times, and wikipedia LED 2 times.

So they made a Blue LED to combine with the existing Red and Pure Green LEDs to make an energy efficient White LED?

Explain this to me Dr. @Nihonjin1051

Hi @Thəorətic Muslim,

Yes, they were responsible for invention of the blue emitting diodes, succeeding where many had failed. This breakthrough had transformed LED light and its practical uses to this day. This current technology is seen in our computer screens, as well as smart phones. LED technology transformed lighting technology in that LED lights are far more energy efficient than older lighting sources. :)

Congratulations to the scientists and to Japanese people. These brilliant scientists did a great service to humanity. LED incandescent lights are getting lower in cost and I bought a few to test them in my home. Mercury lights are dangerous and bad for the environment as they have toxic Mercury in them. These LED lights now will get cheaper and more people will be replacing the Mercury and other types of lights with LED lights, which are more energy efficient as they produce little heat and also they last much longer than any other type of lights.

Yes, indeed ! The effects LED technology in long term for the environment is truly invaluable !

Last edited:
when i was high school kid, one of my science teacher also told me there had been no blue LED.

View attachment 121950

Congrats Japan.:cheers:
Huh........but why the title three 'Japan born' men? why not just three Japanese?o_O

Congrats!

But Nobel Prizes nowadays, even the science category, are almost worthless.

They've become by and large a political tool of the US & Associates long ago.

View attachment 121950

Congratulations to the Japanese inventors!
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::cheers:

I'd put the blue LED as an engineering achievement, rather than a physics achievement, because the mechanism of blue light generation was long known - just get a material with a bigger bandgap. The actual execution of the experiment i.e. getting the high bandgap material to actually conduct electricity and fabricating the PN junction was the hard part.

The blue LED was hard because InGaN (indium gallium nitride) and GaN (gallium nitride) had the required bandgap, but it was difficult to find a good substrate with lattice matching, and difficult to introduce p type doping into GaN. In my opinion, finding a good substrate had an element of luck, since it just requires searching and repeat experimentation, rather than a clever, general solution.

A true Japanese master race!

Taiwanese must learn a lot from Japanese.

Back
Top Bottom