What's new

THE MYSTERIOUS RUSSIAN SPACESHIP GIVING THE WEST THE DRIZZLES

Ceylal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Algeria
There was a time, not too long ago, when some of the world’s brilliant rocket scientists didn’

t think of space as something to conquer, nor monetize, nor explore — but as a means to make war. During the Cold War in the 1960s, they eyed outer space as a potential theater of conflict, where human-piloted space vessels would engage in gravity-free dogfights and fire missiles. The ambitions were unrealistic. But they did nonetheless give birth to a Soviet anti-satellite weaponry program simply called “Istrebitel Sputnikov” — the “satellite killer.”

It was thought the killer was retired. It was thought the Soviet empire’s collapse had grounded it. But now, as the Financial Times first reported, there are whispers of its return out there in the blackness of space.

As news of the Virgin Galactic crash, Antares explosion and Rosetta exploration filled science pages, another space drama has quietly unfurled. In May, Russia launched a rocket to add several satellites to its existing constellation. In the process, it deployed what was first believed to be a piece of space debris but has now become a matter of great speculation.

“I have no idea what it is!” space security expert Patricia Lewis of the think-tank Chatham House told The Washington Post in a phone interview.

Few do. Russia did not declare its orbit, and now the U.S. military, space experts and amateur sleuths have been closely tracking its movements, each of which has been deliberate and precise. The unidentified satellite — called Object 2014-28E — recently navigated toward other Russian space objects, its voyage culminating in its recent hookup with the remains of the rocket stage that originally launched it.

In May, Russia launched a rocket to add several satellites to its existing constellation. In the process, it deployed what was first believed to be a piece of space debris but has now become a matter of great speculation. (tvzvezda.ru)

A mysterious Russian space object could be the return of the ‘satellite killer’ - The Washington Post

This so very interesting ....
Since its purpose is unknown we can speculate that it could be civilian project ,may be to just hoover up space junk.Or it could be a vehicle to repair or refuel existing satellites. But interest has been piqued because Russia did not declare its launch..LOL..and i do get a feeling it was done with a purpose to keep US guessing and get 'em involved in very active, precision movements of this object across the skies.
But not so long back head of Russian space agency had said that Russia was again developing “inspection” and “strike” satellite. And there is a possibly it could be a satellite-to-satellite cyber attack or jamming capable object.
@SvenSvensonov

This so very interesting ....
Since its purpose is unknown we can speculate that it could be civilian project ,may be to just hoover up space junk.Or it could be a vehicle to repair or refuel existing satellites. But interest has been piqued because Russia did not declare its launch..LOL..and i do get a feeling it was done with a purpose to keep US guessing and get 'em involved in very active, precision movements of this object across the skies.
But not so long back head of Russian space agency had said that Russia was again developing “inspection” and “strike” satellite. And there is a possibly it could be a satellite-to-satellite cyber attack or jamming capable object.
@SvenSvensonov

Thanks for tagging me, I'll do my best to dispel many of the rumors and speculation surrounding this sat. Firstly, if we the general public know about the sat, then we can be damn sure the the USAF (the body responsible for monitoring space on behalf of the US Military) knows a lot more. Since we know of the launch, I can be relatively confident that the sat is being tracked, monitored and its purpose, based on its flight path and other perimeters, is being ascertained by people who do this for a living. I saw the new reports, but frankly, and contrary to the title of this thread, this isn't a big deal and my reaction was something like "meh".

The thread title has a bit too much sensationalism.

As for a cyber weapons, sure the Russians could go that route, but it would be stupid one to take. First, a lot of the sats the US uses are old, very old and much less susceptible to the types of crippling cyber attacks modern systems are. Remember Windows 98 is far less susceptible to cyber attacks then is Windows 8. It's simpler and less people know how to compromise it (not that US sats use Windows, it's just an example of how older systems are at times more secure due to their unfamiliarity).Second, the data streams are encrypted, the receivers and transceivers very directional (they only accept and transmit data from a certain angle) and the sats themselves are constantly monitored for adverse activities and will be purged of any problems without much delay. The cyber attack angle is good movie material, but its BS in real life.

Jamming also works on a directional basis. To jam the receiver or transmitter on a sat you need to get between it an its ground, air, sea or space based counterpart (the one broadcasting or receiving signals). If another sat gets between one of ours and its counterpart, you can be sure that we will know about it and we will take appropriate actions to mitigate or eliminate the annoyance. Satellite communications are very directional, it's hard to jam them. Blinding them is another story, and this can be done if the Russians want to send up a few lasers, but it's still easier and cheaper to do so from the ground. Also, to jam a satellite, you need a persistent presence to ensure a jamming signal can be continuously broadcast. Again, anything hanging around too long near one of our sats is going to draw our interest.

You can't jam a satellite by being next to it, trying your hardest to broadcast static. You either have to target the uplink or the downlink, nothing else will work.

Space Vulnerabilities Threaten U.S. Edge in Battle | SIGNAL Magazine

Also the US has satellite jamming systems, we know how to protect our own.

US Deploys Space Satellite Jamming System

Some type of weapon, perhaps? As I have said before, if we start testing ASAT weapons and blowing up sats in space we will make the whole region unfit for future exploration and exploitation due to the Kessler Syndrome.

The Kessler Syndrome Explained

The Russians are a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them - they know the risks of blowing up satellites.

A spy module or repair module is another possibility, one the US explored with a group of Cube Sats (MITEx A/B) that did a close range fly-by of another satellite, so this plausibility at least has credence. Maybe they are repairing or upgrading one of their old military satellites? The US has low visibility "stealth satellites" - known by the name Misty, maybe the Russians are tuning up one of their stealth sats?

Misty Stealth Satellite Hides Perfectly While Watching You

As for hoovering up space junk? Were talking about the Russians, they don't do philanthropy - this is a military project.

Last edited:
Thanks for tagging me, I'll do my best to dispel many of the rumors and speculation surrounding this sat. Firstly, if we the general public know about the sat, then we can be damn sure the the USAF (the body responsible for monitoring space on behalf of the US Military) knows a lot more. Since we know of the launch, I can be relatively confident that the sat is being tracked, monitored and its purpose, based on its flight path and other perimeters, is being ascertained by people who do this for a living. I saw the new reports, but frankly, and contrary to the title of this thread, this isn't a big deal and my reaction was something like "meh".

The thread title has a bit too much sensationalism.

As for a cyber weapons, sure the Russians could go that route, but it would be stupid one to take. First, a lot of the sats the US uses are old, very old and much less susceptible to the types of crippling cyber attacks modern systems are. Remember Windows 98 is far less susceptible to cyber attacks then is Windows 8. It's simpler and less people know how to compromise it (not that US sats use Windows, it's just an example of how older systems are at times more secure due to their unfamiliarity).Second, the data streams are encrypted, the receivers and transceivers very directional (they only accept and transmit data from a certain angle) and the sats themselves are constantly monitored for adverse activities and will be purged of any problems without much delay. The cyber attack angle is good movie material, but its BS in real life.

Jamming also works on a directional basis. To jam the receiver or transmitter on a sat you need to get between it an its ground, air, sea or space based counterpart (the one broadcasting or receiving signals). If another sat gets between one of ours and its counterpart, you can be sure that we will know about it and we will take appropriate actions to mitigate or eliminate the annoyance. Satellite communications are very directional, it's hard to jam them. Blinding them is another story, and this can be done if the Russians want to send up a few lasers, but it's still easier and cheaper to do so from the ground. Also, to jam a satellite, you need a persistent presence to ensure a jamming signal can be continuously broadcast. Again, anything hanging around too long near one of our sats is going to draw our interest.

Some type of weapon, perhaps? As I have said before, if we start testing ASAT weapons and blowing up sats in space we will make the whole region unfit for future exploration and exploitation due to the Kessler Syndrome.

The Kessler Syndrome Explained

The Russians are a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

A spy module or repair module is another possibility, one the US explored with a group of Cube Sats that did a close range fly-by of another satellite, so this plausibility at least has credence. Maybe they are repairing or upgrading one of their old military satellites? The US has low visibility "stealth satellites" - known by the name Misty, maybe the Russians are tuning up one of their stealth sats?

Misty Stealth Satellite Hides Perfectly While Watching You

As for hovering up space junk? Were talking about the Russians, they don't do philanthropy - this is a military project.
SUPERLIKE!!!

Thanks for making it so simple so that somebody as dilettante as me could comprehend it completely.You sound sure that this is a military project.
Now I've got curious about the misty satellites. :)

SUPERLIKE!!!

Thanks for making it so simple so that somebody as dilettante as me could comprehend it completely.You sound sure that this is a military project.

Glad I could help. This was largely my job in the USN, except I was more geared towards satellite to sub communication and focused on securing communications from prying eyes. I did work on non-sub based systems such as radars and missile seeker heads too. Also if your interested in the Misty or similar sats I have a few links you might be interested in. Additionally I would gladly answer any other questions.

Anatomy of a Spy Satellite - this is specifically referencing the Misty satellites, despite it's title.

Misty 1, 2, 3 (AFP-731)

About the Cubesats I mentioned, these are them. Very top secret.

MITEx B

MITEx A

And two experimental sats that the US has contemplated using as an ASAT platform. Right now they have the designation of "Satellite inspection" satellites, but this title is very vague.

XSS 10

XSS 11

Last edited:
SUPERLIKE!!!

We always had to explain things to you. Now, don't say that this signature of mine is complicated too. :disagree:

Glad I could help. This was largely my job in the USN, except I was more geared towards satellite to sub communication and focused on securing communications from prying eyes. I did work on non-sub based systems such as radars and missile seeker heads. Also if your interested in the Misty or similar sats I have a few links you might be interested in. Additionally I would gladly answer any other questions.

Anatomy of a Spy Satellite - this is specifically referencing the Misty satellites, despite it's title.

Misty 1, 2, 3 (AFP-731)

About the Cubesats I mentioned, these are them. Very top secret.

MITEx B

MITEx A

And two experimental sats that the US has contemplated using as an ASAT platform. Right now they have the designation of "Satellite inspection" satellites, but this title is very vague.

XSS 10

XSS 11
wow!!!
Sven Thank you so much, its like you opened a treasure box here.I didnt know so much about spy satellites.Those were some good articles.
But I do see resistance within the government against funding such spy satellites,though in my opinion everything's fair in cold war.:)

This line shows the stealth worthiness of these satellites....
"If the Russians had realized just how much American satellites could see, they would have taken more care to hide from them. For instance, the CIA was able to determine how strong Soviet intercontinental ballistic missile silos were because they could watch them under construction and determine the thickness of their walls.

And I loved the experimental small satellites like XSS 10 which weighed just 28 kilogram (microsatellite).The entire mission lasted approximately 24 hours.Thats news to me because I always thought space satellites would always last months.:-)
thanks once again!

Come on, we all know it's just Putin's daughter's kite :D
vladimir-putin-smiling[1].jpg

Oh please don't derail this thread. :hitwall:

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom