What's new

Sunil Sethi: Can Karachi get a new start?

T-Faz

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
A tourist visa to Pakistan, priced at Rs 15, roughly the same as a local bus or Metro ticket in Delhi, sounds like a deliciously tempting bargain but getting there, at this twisted juncture in India-Pakistan relations, is not a joy ride. There is only once-a-week PIA connection between Delhi and Karachi. Writers like Fatima Bhutto, who is promoting her family memoir Songs of Blood & Sword in India this week, or the literary critic Muneeza Shamsie who is the regional chair of the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize to be announced in Delhi in later this month, have to travel to Delhi via Dubai. Everywhere I went during the five days I spent in Pakistan last week, friends, acquaintances and colleagues complained of the hardship in getting Indian visas. Fehmida Riaz, the country’s leading feminist poet who spent several years of exile in India during Zia-ul-Haq’s regime, spoke of the tedious paperwork involved including translated and attested copies of ID cards.

Karachi is not reputed as a sub-continental beauty spot. Jihadist battles, gang wars and gunfire are familiar street sights and sounds, drug trafficking in its vast slums, kidnappings and political violence between Sindhi nationalists and MQM, the muhajir party of immigrants from UP and Bihar, are the stuff of everyday life. The horrific kidnap, torture and beheading of Daniel Pearl by Al Qaeda operatives in 2002 certified Karachi as the bad news capital of South Asia. Kolkata, with its slow-moving strikers and fading hammer-and-sickle graffiti or Mumbai with its “maximum city” appellation of overall wretchedness, seem vaguely hopeful in comparison.

What a surprise, then, to find Karachi looking in better shape than before. New flyovers, better traffic management, improved electricity supply in slums and buzzing cafes with women dressed in casual western clothes (an increasingly uncommon sight elsewhere in the country) not to speak of an ornamental fountain that shoots hundred feet from the sea in Clifton seafront (Karachi’s Marine Drive) as a symbol of its revival. Bomb blasts and murky politics, like a transient Arabian Sea tide, seem temporarily at ebb.

By all accounts, much of the credit for the city’s reform goes to its outgoing nazim, or mayor, the pro-active youthful Mustafa Kamal. Although a dyed-in-the-wool, risen-from-the-ranks MQM man, the 50-year-old Kamal, educated in Malaysia and Wales, is hard-working (in office at 7 am everyday), approachable (his widespread popularity) and clean (no scandal in a corrupt metropolis). He has been voted as one of the best city mayors in Asia in recent polls.

I met him him at the opening of the first Karachi Literature Festival, a co-venture between the Oxford University Press, headed by OUP’s dynamic Ameena Saiyid and British Council Pakistan, and perfectly on cue, he said: “I have heard about the success of the Jaipur lit fest. This event is inspired by Jaipur because it’s important for Karachi to turn the page.” Mustafa Kamal has recently had to demit office because, as with so many appointments in Pakistan, he owed his office to the dispensation of Musharraf. Given his MQM political base though, it is widely believed that he will make a resounding comeback.

This is good news for a metropolis of 16 million that is Pakistan’s financial centre, largest seaport and most cosmopolitan yet beleaguered face. Karachi is also the country’s richest city with a great deal of Gulf money rolling about. In the spreading acres of the suburb known as Defence (Parts I to VIII) are villas of a scale and ostentation — and still coming up at great pace — that would be unimaginable in much of metropolitan India. In fact, in most big cities they are coming down to be replaced by apartments. Not surprising, therefore, that the most incredulous question a young journalist asked was: “Is it true that movie stars like Salman Khan and Aamir Khan live in flats?”

Sunil Sethi: Can Karachi get a new start?

The only problem with Karachi is its biggest problem :- Crime; and that cannot be controlled with a certain party in power.

Street Crime is now endemic to Karachi and is certainly a very very big problem. New restaurants catering to the elite class are no hallmarks of success. Neither is a water fountain. The fact remains that Karachi's slum population is rising and without any foreseeable change in the attitude of urban expansion in Karachi, the automobile sprawl cannot be reduced, further increasing the every growing problems of the metropolis.

Navi Mumbai is a perfect model to follow in Karachi as well. The peri urban areas that Karachi is absorbing towards its east and west will lead to a further financial division of residence, increase its traffic problems (which are on a path of improvement) and lead to an even higher crime rate.

Slums in Karachi are growing exponentially and there is a need top provide low cost housing which is being ignored.

Nonetheless, Karachi is on a much better path of urban expansion and urban planning than Lahore certainly. The middle class of Karachi has embraced apartments and apartments have been the residence of choice for over 2 decades now, as opposed to Lahore where their is neither the will nor the social acceptability for apartments. The idea of moving into a mansion still resides in the hearts of people entering the bracket of the upper middle class and a social remedy has to provided to suppress these feelings as our cities can longer accommodate increasing amounts of expansive mansions.

The only problem with Karachi is its biggest problem :- Crime; and that cannot be controlled with a certain party in power.

Street Crime is now endemic to Karachi and is certainly a very very big problem. New restaurants catering to the elite class are no hallmarks of success. Neither is a water fountain. The fact remains that Karachi's slum population is rising and without any foreseeable change in the attitude of urban expansion in Karachi, the automobile sprawl cannot be reduced, further increasing the every growing problems of the metropolis.

Navi Mumbai is a perfect model to follow in Karachi as well. The peri urban areas that Karachi is absorbing towards its east and west will lead to a further financial division of residence, increase its traffic problems (which are on a path of improvement) and lead to an even higher crime rate.

Slums in Karachi are growing exponentially and there is a need top provide low cost housing which is being ignored.

Nonetheless, Karachi is on a much better path of urban expansion and urban planning than Lahore certainly. The middle class of Karachi has embraced apartments and apartments have been the residence of choice for over 2 decades now, as opposed to Lahore where their is neither the will nor the social acceptability for apartments. The idea of moving into a mansion still resides in the hearts of people entering the bracket of the upper middle class and a social remedy has to provided to suppress these feelings as our cities can longer accommodate increasing amounts of expansive mansions.

Are these facts or just assumptions on your part, because as much as I am concerned I have seen data that tells me otherwise.

You are not one of those people who know nothing about ground realities and are taking your info from anti Pakistan news magazines. Sure robbery is up but that is due to people caryying mobile phones and this occurs everywhere.

I would like links to the information you have provided.

Last edited:
:bounce:Lol ..... its Sunil SHETTY (A Maratha) not Sethi.

Lol, its not Sunil Shetty the actor who wrote this, its a journalist whose name I have copied directly from the website. Why would he himself get his name wrong.

And what has Sunil Shetty got to do with this.

Are these facts or just assumptions on your part, because as much as I am concerned I have seen data that tells
me otherwise.

I'll provide crime statistics tomorrow as I'm going to sleep now. Street crime in Karachi is the highest in Pakistan, ask anybody on this forum.
You are not one of those people who know nothing about ground realities and are taking your info from anti Pakistan news magazines.
:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

I'm sorry I brought up a discussion on urban planning, traffic management or crime control with you. My fault.

I'll provide crime statistics tomorrow as I'm going to sleep now. Street crime in Karachi is the highest in Pakistan, ask anybody on this forum.

:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

I'm sorry I brought up a discussion on urban planning, traffic management or crime control with you. My fault.

Relax, its not like the world has ended. Best if you go to sleep.

Karachi has no skyscrapers. Colombo has more skyscrapers than Karachi. Also Karachi is too large. Its massive! Its one of the largest cities on the planet. Traveling from one part of the city to the other can take hours. Most Karachi residents have never seen the entire city. That is how large it is.

My area gulshan-e-iqbal alone is home to 1.2 million souls. And this is a relatively new area of the city!

One other thing about Karachi is that it contributes 68% of the federal tax revenue. 68% from just one city!

Karachi has no skyscrapers. Colombo has more skyscrapers than Karachi. Also Karachi is too large. Its massive! Its one of the largest cities on the planet. Traveling from one part of the city to the other can take hours. Most Karachi residents have never seen the entire city. That is how large it is.

My area gulshan-e-iqbal alone is home to 1.2 million souls. And this is a relatively new area of the city!

One other thing about Karachi is that it contributes 68% of the federal tax revenue. 68% from just one city!

Is that a good or bad thing in your opinion?

:bounce:Lol ..... its Sunil SHETTY (A Maratha) not Sethi.

A little correction bro here... first is he is Sethi not Shetty.. and second is Shetty's are Tulus ( people from Mangalore region from where Aishwarya belongs) and not Marathas...

New skyscrapers are popping up very quickly, there wasn't a requirement for them before. Our financial dstrict was made of old victoria era buildings and no need to replace them.

As for it being big and residents not knowing the city, it is good and bad. The city is different from area to area, so there is a need for bringing it all together but it's good as far as different feel and look in areas go.

As for Karachi being high in federal tax returns, again good and bad. It should be dispersed but Karachi is very strong compared to rest financially.

List of Skyscrapers that are under construction.

Rank Building Height Floors Built Coordinates
1 Icon Tower 280 m / 918 ft 60 Stories 2012
2 IT Tower 183 m / 600 ft 47 Stories 2012
3 Karachi Financial Towers 1 160 m / 525 ft 45 Stories 2010
4 Karachi Financial Towers 2 160 m / 525 ft 45 Stories 2010
5 Dolmen City Office Tower 1 150 m / 492 ft 40 Stories 2012
7 Centre Point Tower 150 m / 492 ft 28 Stories 2012
6 Dolmen City Office Tower 2 149 m / 489 ft 40 Stories 2012
9 KASB Altitude 130 m / 427 ft 32 Stories 2012
10 Sofitel Tower 110 m / 361 ft 27 Stories 2011

Many more proposed and approved.

A little correction bro here... first is he is Sethi not Shetty.. and second is Shetty's are Tulus ( people from Mangalore region from where Aishwarya belongs) and not Marathas...

Thanks for correcting the info. Sunil Sethi appears on NDTV and anchors a program called 'Just Books'.

Which point are you talking about? It was just a mixture of things I have noticed since moving here from Sri Lanka about 6 years back. Its all very overwhelming really. Greater Karachi area has almost as many people living in it as the entire country of Sri Lanka!

In terms of population you can compare Karachi to India's Mumbai. But Mumbai is over crowded while Karachi is spread out over a large area. The city is still expanding and I am sure one day it will stretch out to encompass hyderabad too!

Back
Top Bottom