Sufism in Pakistan

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Sufism in Pakistan

Can Sufi Islam counter the Taleban?

Pakistan has a reputation as a hotspot for extremist Islam but most Pakistanis follow a gentler, more tolerant form of Islam based on Sufi mysticism and folklore.

Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Pakistan's Sufi foreign minister, recently suggested that his religion could be used as a counter to growing fundamentalism in the country. His views echo those of western think tanks such as the Rand Corporation, who recommend the mobilisation of Sufism to counter Islamist ideology and influence.

Barbara Plett reports from Lahore, a city steeped in Sufi tradition.

Listen 6 mins

First broadcast 24 February 2009

Click here for more from BBC World Service news programmes

BBC World Service - News - Sufism in Pakistan

since when do most pakistanis follow sufism ? i know we do have a huge sufi population but not in the majority i thought we were like 80% sunni ?

since when do most pakistanis follow sufism ? i know we do have a huge sufi population but not in the majority i thought we were like 80% sunni ?

You can be a Sufi Sunni as well as Sufi Shia, there's a huge population of Sufi Sunnis in Pakistan but they just say they are Sunnis.

The Hanafi sect of Islam is related to Sufi thoughts, some say Hanafi and Sufism are pretty much the same and most Pakistanis follow the Hanafi school of thought.

Back
Top Bottom