What's new

Successful Pakistanis

CENTCOM

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently read that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has named a Pakistani-American as one of 25 young economists who are expected to be most influential in the decades to come. Atif Mian, professor of economics at Princeton University, who at the age of 39 was ranked in the list of top 25 economists under 45 “who are shaping the way we think about the global economy”. You can read the full article by clicking on this link: Reshaping thinking: IMF names Pakistani among most influential economists – The Express Tribune.

The negative publicity Pakistan often receives due to the unfortunate incidents of terrorism overshadows accomplishments of all those Pakistanis who are working hard and contributing in various fields throughout the world. The work of Allama Iqbal and Nusrat fateh ali khan has been greatly admired throughout the world. At present, we have people like Atif mian and Shahid Khan in the U.S. who have gone on to achieve great success, and it would be fair to say that they serve as an inspiration to millions of Pakistanis who have moved to the U.S. in hope of achieving their dreams.

Is there anyone of Pakistani origin whose accomplishments or contributions may be getting overlooked due to the many unfortunate incidents - inside Pakistan - that have claimed most of our attention at the moment?

Ali Khan
Digital Engagement Team, USCENTCOM

That is okay.

BUT DOES PRESIDENT OBAMA KNOW ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF PDF?

And stop calling my phone from a number starting with +278....WTH CIA?

:big_boss:

That is okay.

BUT DOES PRESIDENT OBAMA KNOW ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF PDF?

And stop calling my phone from a number starting with +278....WTH CIA?

:big_boss:

They dont just call you they mark your location on a drone flying above-
Next time you recieve a call wear a shirt saying I Love USA and stand in clear sight- :smokin:-

Dr Azeem Ibrahim. A Scott of Pakistani origin, ranked among the top 100 global thinkers.

Dr. Salam and Munir Khan... - Gems of Pakistan

Dr. Abdus Salam

c00ca1063308d47250494089377ad74a.jpg

Mohammad Abdus Salam[2] NI, SPk, KBE[3] (Punjabi, Urdu: محمد عبد السلام‎; pronounced [əbd̪ʊs səlɑm]; 29 January 1926 – 21 November 1996),[4] was a Pakistani theoretical physicist who, when he shared the 1979 Nobel Prize in Physics for his contribution to electroweak unification,[5] became the first and only Pakistani to receive a Nobel Prize and also the first Muslim to win a Nobel Prize in science.[6]

Salam was a science advisor to the Government of Pakistan from 1960 to 1974, a position from which he played a major and influential role in Pakistan's science infrastructure.[6][7] Salam was responsible for not only major developments and contributions in theoretical and particle physics, but as well as promoting scientific research to maximum levels in his country.[7] Salam was the founding director of Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), and responsible for the establishment of the Theoretical Physics Group (TPG) in Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC)

Dr. Munir Ahmed

0bfbf2353e9a84a0030810a566b66ad6.jpg

Munir Ahmad Khan (Urdu: منير احمد خان‎; b. 20 May 1926 – 22 April 1999; NI HI), was a Pakistani nuclear engineer, scientist,[1][2] who served as the chairman of the Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission (PAEC) from 1972 to 1991. He is credited along with Zulfikar Bhutto (former Prime minister), on the technical side as the "father of the Pakistan's atomic bomb project",[3] for his role in Pakistan's integrated atomic bomb project; the clandestine Cold war program developed the atomic weapons that ultimately resulted in first successful atomic bomb testing on May 1998 (see Chagai-I and Chagai-II) in Chagai Weapon-testing Laboratories; these tests are considered one of few milestones in Pakistan's history in which, the nuclear devices were developed and produced under a programme of which Khan served its technical director

( For God'd Sake Dont Compare AQ Khan with These Men , Who Were True Genius )

Is there anyone of Pakistani origin whose accomplishments or contributions may be getting overlooked due to the many unfortunate incidents - inside Pakistan - that have claimed most of our attention at the moment?

Celebrating a Pakistani origin is fine, but why is it that brilliant Pakistanis achieve fabulous successes only when they thrive in other countries and not their own? That is the more important question.

Celebrating a Pakistani origin is fine, but why is it that brilliant Pakistanis achieve fabulous successes only when they thrive in other countries and not their own? That is the more important question.

It shows that given proper environment to thrive in, they can do wonders, like any other man from anywhere else in the world.

There are a number of NASA engineers who were of Pakistani origin. But unlike the people on our east, Pakistanis tend to keep low profile. Numerous Professors at top American Universities are Pakistani.

Ahmed Rashid, a brilliant author, is Pakistani and lives in Pakistan. Dr Umer Saif is another example.

There was this brilliant economist, Mahbub-ul-Haq, who was at the fore front of his field.

It shows that given proper environment to thrive in, they can do wonders, like any other man from anywhere else in the world.

There are a number of NASA engineers who were of Pakistani origin. But unlike the people on our east, Pakistanis tend to keep low profile. Numerous Professors at top American Universities are Pakistani.

Ahmed Rashid, a brilliant author, is Pakistani and lives in Pakistan. Dr Umer Saif is another example.

There was this brilliant economist, Mahbub-ul-Haq, who was at the fore front of his field.

Of course anybody can thrive in the correct supportive environment. The question I posed is why are such brilliant Pakistanis not thriving in their own country?

Of course anybody can thrive in the correct supportive environment. The question I posed is why are such brilliant Pakistanis not thriving in their own country?

What is Brilliance? "Brilliance" is subjective.. Like Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize without doing anything noteworthy. There are plenty of Pakistanis- who stayed true to their salt- who have served their country well and made a difference to the lives of millions their countrymen. It is like saying that Ham and Eggs is the Breakfast of mankind. Your western lens colors your perspective.

Last edited:

A lot of them are. A lot of them go and study in the west, and then adapt their life back home. Numerous Actors, Fashion Designers, Professors/Teachers, Entrepreneurs etc are living in Pakistan successfully. It's just that we don't get to hear about them. Not to mention the musicians. Rohail Hyatt and his Coke Studio is one fine example. In his case he didn't even have to leave Pakistan to earn a name. So it all depends.

On the other hand, we have Pakistanis who leave in search of a better dream, only to end up driving taxis.

A lot of them are. A lot of them go and study in the west, and then adapt their life back home. Numerous Actors, Fashion Designers, Professors/Teachers, Entrepreneurs etc are living in Pakistan successfully. It's just that we don't get to hear about them. Not to mention the musicians. Rohail Hyatt and his Coke Studio is one fine example. In his case he didn't even have to leave Pakistan to earn a name. So it all depends.

On the other hand, we have Pakistanis who leave in search of a better dream, only to end up driving taxis.

Those are real heroes, who make it big within Pakistan, not the ones who left.

What is Brilliance? "Brilliance" is subjective.. Like Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize without doing anything noteworthy. There are plenty of Pakistanis- who stayed true to their salt- who have served their country well and made a difference to the lives of millions their countrymen. It is like saying that Ham and Eggs is the Breakfast of mankind. Your western lens colors your perspective.

Actually, if you understand what I have said before and just above, you will see that I am saying just the opposite of what you hastily and erroneously conclude about me. :D

Back
Top Bottom