What's new

Sri Lanka invited to start office at strategic Pakistan port

Gibbs

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sri Lanka invited to start office at strategic Pakistan port

Apr 27, 2014 (LBO) - Sri Lanka has been invited to set up a trade office at strategic Chinese-run Gwadar port in Pakistan after a delegation from Pakistan met President Mahinda Rajapaksa, his office said.

The Speaker of the provincial assembly in Balochistan Mir Jan Muhammad Khan Jamali had led the delegation.
Gwadar which was at the mouth of the Persian Gulf is seen as a placed strategically to the Middle Eastern oil business but also to Central Asia.

"The port is a part of a larger effort by Pakistan to establish a Pakistan-China economic corridor," the President's media office said in a statement.
"President Rajapaksa also briefed the visiting provincial members of the significance of the Hambantota Port, which revives the historic silk route and is also strategically located just 10 nautical miles away from the world’s busiest east-west shipping lane."

Gwadar port is built on land originally bought by Pakistan from Oman. From 2013 its management was given to China Overseas Port Holding Company from Pakistan's Port of Singapore Authority.

Hambantota Port was built with Chinese finance and is operated by state-run Sri Lanka Ports Authority. China Merchant Holdings owns and operates a container terminal in Colombo Port.

I'm gonna have the office closed unless you introduce me to Jacqueline Fernandes & get me a bat signed by Sangakara ! :ashamed:

For now enjoy..
surprise-funny-mr-bean-picture.jpg

Sri Lanka has been invited to set up a trade office at strategic Chinese-run Gwadar port in Pakistan
That's good for Sri Lanka as Chinese Goods being transported over the land route from Kashgar in China to Gwadar can be shipped direct to Sri Lanka by the sea route.

Sri Lanka has the potential to emerge as the new maritime nation and the center of gravity for trade in South Asia.

shipping_routes.jpg

That's good for Sri Lanka as Chinese Goods being transported over the land route from Kashgar in China to Gwadar can be shipped direct to Sri Lanka by the sea route.

Sri Lanka has the potential to emerge as the new maritime nation and the center of gravity for trade in South Asia.

shipping_routes.jpg

Sad thing is that the H'tota port is still inactive.

Sad thing is that the H'tota port is still inactive.
The port is well on its way to completion. Total construction cost of the Phase 1 of the project was about $ 361 million and out of which 85% has been funded by the Ex-Im Bank of the People's Republic of China. This was completed in 2010.

The port is being constructed by China Harbour Engineering Company and Sinohydro Corporation.

The second phase of the Port of Hambantota project, which will include a container terminal, is expected to be completed by 2014. The second stage of the port is estimated to cost around US$ 750 million. The third phase will include a dockyard.

Upon completion, the port will cover 4,000 acres of land and accommodate 33 vessels at any given time, making it the largest port in South Asia.

@Azizam @Gibbs - I'm gonna have the office closed unless you introduce me to Jacqueline Fernandes & get me a bat signed by Sangakara ! :ashamed:

Jokes aside - Good Development; greater Sri Lanka - Pakistan cooperation is in the best interests of both our two nations ! :)
I will try my best bro. :D

Back
Top Bottom