What's new

Sniper breaks longest kill shot world record during attack on ISIS

Möbius Curve

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
2019-03-20

BEIRUT, LEBANON (10:45 P.M.) – The world record for the longest kill shot ever was broken in mid-2017 by a Canadian sniper team in Iraq, the National Interest publication reported on Wednesday.

Citing a video from the Mail and Globe, the article said a Canadian sniper team on June 22, 2017, fired at an Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL/IS/Daesh) fighter at a distance of 3,871 yards away.

On June 22, 2017, the Globe and Mail reported that two snipers assigned to Joint Task Force 2, Canada’s elite special forces unit, had shot an Islamic State fighter in Iraq at a distance of 3,540 meters, or 3,871 yards. The sniper team was stationed on top of a highrise building when it took the shot, which took almost ten seconds to reach its target. The sniper and his spotter had used a McMillan TAC-50 .50 heavy caliber sniper rifle. According to the Globe and Mail, the kill was verified by the video “and other data.”

The Canadian sniper team’s shot managed to hit the Islamic State fighter, killing him and shattering the previous record by more than 1,000 years.

To understand the complexity of the shot, it’s best to start with a sniper maxim: sniping is weaponized math. Although a .50 caliber sniper rifle bullet can fly as far as five miles, a host of factors including gravity, wind speed and direction, altitude, barometric pressure, humidity and even the Coriolis Effect act upon the bullet as it travels. Even worse, these effects increase the farther the bullet travels. A successful sniper team operating at extreme distances must do its best to predict exactly how these factors will affect the bullet and calculate how to get the bullet back onto target.

The Canadian military was one of the founding members of the Anti-ISIS Coalition; they have participated in several operations against the terrorist group inside both Iraq and Syria since late 2013.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/articl...kill-shot-world-record-during-attack-on-isis/

More than 1,00,000 isis fighters have been killed in the past 5 years.
The end of Isis in ME is near, but the human and economic cost has been terrible.
I hope ME becomes like Europe after WW2, overcoming destruction to become very successful.
A prosperous and peaceful ME is highly beneficial for India as they have always provided massive employment to Indians.

Back
Top Bottom