What's new

Singapore Armed Forces unveils new armoured fighting vehicle

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Jul 1, 2016

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) will commission the next generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) by 2019.PHOTO: MINDEF
The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) will commission the next generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) by 2019.

It will replace the Ultra M113 Armoured Fighting Vehicle, the army’s staple AFV which has been in service since the early 1970s and is a key component of its mechanised forces. The new vehicle, with its bigger calibre gun, will provide enhanced firepower and protection.

It also has a laser rangefinder. The soldier firing can use the laser to pinpoint the target. A digital control system will automatically adjust the direction of the gun so that the shot will hit the target.

In the Ultra M113 AFV, soldiers who are not on the vehicle can only communicate with those on board by talking, gesturing or through voice communication systems. However, as the next generation AFV is connected to the Army Battlefield Internet, they can exchange data and information through it.

The new AFV also offers better protection. In the Ultra M113, part of the vehicle commander’s body is exposed. In the new AFV, he is seated within the vehicle, which can hold between three and 11 people. It weighs 29 tonnes and can travel up to 70 kmh.

The vehicle, which began development in 2006, is designed here. The SAF worked with the Defence Science Technology Agency and Singapore Technologies to develop the vehicle.

The army has also acquired the Protected Combat Support Vehicle. The new vehicles will give the SAF’s motorised infantry improved firepower and protection. It will be commissioned by 2017.

www.straitstimes.com

http://defence-blog.com/army/singapore-armed-forces-unveils-new-armoured-fighting-vehicles.html

@Horus @Arsalan @Sulman Badshah @Tipu7

Jul 1, 2016

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) will commission the next generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) by 2019.PHOTO: MINDEF
The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) will commission the next generation Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) by 2019.

It will replace the Ultra M113 Armoured Fighting Vehicle, the army’s staple AFV which has been in service since the early 1970s and is a key component of its mechanised forces. The new vehicle, with its bigger calibre gun, will provide enhanced firepower and protection.

It also has a laser rangefinder. The soldier firing can use the laser to pinpoint the target. A digital control system will automatically adjust the direction of the gun so that the shot will hit the target.

In the Ultra M113 AFV, soldiers who are not on the vehicle can only communicate with those on board by talking, gesturing or through voice communication systems. However, as the next generation AFV is connected to the Army Battlefield Internet, they can exchange data and information through it.

The new AFV also offers better protection. In the Ultra M113, part of the vehicle commander’s body is exposed. In the new AFV, he is seated within the vehicle, which can hold between three and 11 people. It weighs 29 tonnes and can travel up to 70 kmh.

The vehicle, which began development in 2006, is designed here. The SAF worked with the Defence Science Technology Agency and Singapore Technologies to develop the vehicle.

The army has also acquired the Protected Combat Support Vehicle. The new vehicles will give the SAF’s motorised infantry improved firepower and protection. It will be commissioned by 2017.

www.straitstimes.com

http://defence-blog.com/army/singapore-armed-forces-unveils-new-armoured-fighting-vehicles.html

@Horus @Arsalan @Sulman Badshah @Tipu7

this as replacement programme for M113 Ultra of their ground forces, and a bid for Land Phase 400 project of Australian Defense Forces @jhungary @Gibbs

me think as the most network centrist armed forces in the region, this vehicle giving a better electronic and network linking system than other armored vehicles in the region

this as replacement programme for M113 Ultra of their ground forces, and a bid for Land Phase 400 project of Australian Defense Forces @jhungary @Gibbs

me think as the most network centrist armed forces in the region, this vehicle giving a better electronic and network linking system than other armored vehicles in the region

Don't think the ADF will go with tracked platform for the M113. I think we are looking into replacing the Bushmaster IFV we have and they are wheeled vehicle.

And they are also looking an integration between land vehicle and drone,

Singapore Army Unveils New PCSV Armored Vehicle

The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) unveils new Protected Combat Support Vehicle (PCSV) for for the motorised infantry forces. The PCSV will be commissioned by 2017.

The PCSV will provide improved firepower, protection and situational awareness for motorised infantry combat support and combat service support forces.

The key features of the PCSV include:

Increased Payload. The protected vehicles can carry a payload of up to 4,000kg. This allows the PCSV to be configured to carry modular load such as mortar systems, battalion casualty stations and combat supplies for different combat support and combat service support functions.

Stronger Firepower. The protected vehicles are equipped with a 7.62mm Remote Machine Gun, which is operated from within the cabin, thereby protecting soldiers who are operating the weapon from exposure to hostile fires.

Better Protection. The vehicles have ballistic and mine protection features to protect soldiers and to fulfil operational requirements.

Enhanced Situational Awareness and Coordination. The onboard C4 (Command, Control, Communications and Computers) suite of systems allow rapid information exchange with all friendly forces, increasing command and control and survivability on the battlefield. The recently commissioned Army Battlefield Internet will allow the Protected Combat Support Vehicles and Terrex Infantry Carrier Vehicles to operate on a common network, enabling the SAF’s motorised infantry forces to fight together in an integrated manner.

This is a good development. I don't think it is scaled up M113 as it has modern technologies but I will get back to you after getting more info through my contacts.

It looks like underneath it is still M113 based, just with 6 roadwheels (i.e. stretched) and beefed up suspension and armor.

This is a good development. I don't think it is scaled up M113 as it has modern technologies but I will get back to you after getting more info through my contacts.
It looks like underneath it is still M113 based, just with 6 roadwheels (i.e. stretched) and beefed up suspension and armor.
I think that's a good thing. No need to reinvent the wheel. Looks like an excellent replacement for the M113. I hope Pakistan's HIT takes the same route.

I think that's a good thing. No need to reinvent the wheel. Looks like an excellent replacement for the M113. I hope Pakistan's HIT takes the same route.
That is much bigger than M113 may be some design is similar but looks like new beast

CmNJRDWVEAACRDt.jpg

NG AFV v. Ultra M113 AFV
Length 6.9m v. 5.32m (+1.58m)
Width 3.28 v. 2.8m (+0.48m i.e. +24cm left and +24cm right)
Height 3.2m v 2.8m (+0.40m i.e a taller turret)
Weight 29 ton v 11.7 ton (+ 17.4 ton, if you actually believe Ultra M113 is LIGHTER than a basic M113)

M113 Ultra is an M113 upgrade. It is longer than the basic M113 by 46 cm, which is because the external fuel cell extensions on the hull rear left and right of the rear ramp.
%C6%F7%B8%CB%BA%AF%C8%AF_%C5%A9%B1%E2%BA%AF%C8%AF_M113%20ULTRA%2040%2050.jpg

http://www.stengg.com/products-solutions/products/m113-upgrade

The M113A4 [also known as the M113A3+] mobile tactical vehicle light (MTVL) uses an M113 hull that is lengthened 34 inches (86 cm) and equipped with an additional road wheel (six on each side). A stretched M113A4 aka MTVL weighs 18,140 kg. 5.32+0.86 = 6,18
mtvl_2.jpg

jt-38890567_-_28_06_2016_-_pixtank.jpg

13575904_10154205795816063_7021463928440155378_o.jpg

Singapore_Armed_Forces_have_received_first_prototype_next_generation_Armoured_Fighting_Vehicle_640_001.jpg

Wait, I think it needs to be considered that SSPH Primus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSPH_Primus ) uses a vehicle chassis adapted from a United Defense armoured chassis (the Universal Combat Vehicle Platform; UCVP) which includes components from the US M109 Paladin howitzer, M2 Bradley IFV & M8-AGS.

Weight
Combat weight: 28.3 tonnes (31.2 short tons; 27.9 long tons)
Length Chassis: 6.6 metres (21 ft 8 in)
Width Chassis: 2.8 m (9 ft 2 in), Overall: 3.0 m (9 ft 10 in)
Height 3.28 m (10 ft 9 in)

14819036812_1281774d98_b.jpg

CmNJRDWVEAACRDt.jpg

NG AFV v. Ultra M113 AFV
Length 6.9m v. 5.32m (+1.58m)
Width 3.28 v. 2.8m (+0.48m i.e. +24cm left and +24cm right)
Height 3.2m v 2.8m (+0.40m i.e a taller turret)
Weight 29 ton v 11.7 ton (+ 17.4 ton, if you actually believe Ultra M113 is LIGHTER than a basic M113)

M113 Ultra is an M113 upgrade. It is longer than the basic M113 by 46 cm, which is because the external fuel cell extensions on the hull rear left and right of the rear ramp.
%C6%F7%B8%CB%BA%AF%C8%AF_%C5%A9%B1%E2%BA%AF%C8%AF_M113%20ULTRA%2040%2050.jpg

http://www.stengg.com/products-solutions/products/m113-upgrade

The M113A4 [also known as the M113A3+] mobile tactical vehicle light (MTVL) uses an M113 hull that is lengthened 34 inches (86 cm) and equipped with an additional road wheel (six on each side). A stretched M113A4 aka MTVL weighs 18,140 kg. 5.32+0.86 = 6,18
mtvl_2.jpg

jt-38890567_-_28_06_2016_-_pixtank.jpg

13575904_10154205795816063_7021463928440155378_o.jpg

Singapore_Armed_Forces_have_received_first_prototype_next_generation_Armoured_Fighting_Vehicle_640_001.jpg

Wait, I think it needs to be considered that SSPH Primus ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSPH_Primus ) uses a vehicle chassis adapted from a United Defense armoured chassis (the Universal Combat Vehicle Platform; UCVP) which includes components from the US M109 Paladin howitzer, M2 Bradley IFV & M8-AGS.

Weight
Combat weight: 28.3 tonnes (31.2 short tons; 27.9 long tons)
Length Chassis: 6.6 metres (21 ft 8 in)
Width Chassis: 2.8 m (9 ft 2 in), Overall: 3.0 m (9 ft 10 in)
Height 3.28 m (10 ft 9 in)

14819036812_1281774d98_b.jpg

What makes you think so?

Where does the SSPH come into the discussion from?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom