What's new

Sikh families leave Orakzai after Taliban demand jizia

Halaku Khan

BANNED
Reaction score
Sikh families leave Orakzai after Taliban demand jizia

By Abdul Saboor Khan

HANGU: Sikh families living in Orakzai Agency have left the agency after the Taliban demanded Rs 50 million as jizia (tax) from them, official sources and locals said on Tuesday.

Residents of Ferozekhel area in Lower Orakzai Agency told Daily Times on Tuesday that around 10 Sikh families left the agency after the demand by the Taliban, who said they were a minority and liable to pay the tax for living in the area in accordance with sharia.

Locals said the Taliban had notified the Sikh families about the ‘tax’ around a week ago. They said of the 15 Sikh families in Ferozekhel, 10 had shifted while the remaining were preparing to do so.

The locals said the families were impoverished and had left the area to avoid any Taliban action.

Wednesday April 15, 2009

Islamabad: Armed militants have occupied four homes of members of the minority Sikh community in Pakistan's restive Aurakzai tribal region near the northwestern city of Peshawar, a media report said on Wednesday.

About 200 armed militants arrived at Qasimkhel village in Aurakzai Agency yesterday and demanded Rs 40 million from the Sikhs, said Galyan Singh, an elder of the minority community.

"We failed to pay the amount and they forced the 38-member Sikh community to vacate houses," Singh told <I>The News daily</I>.

The families that were evicted from their homes have taken refuge in Manikhel area, Singh said.

Local residents of Qasimkhel condemned the incident and said injustice had been done to the Sikhs.

There is a sizeable number of Sikhs living in Peshawar and adjoining semi-autonomous tribal regions.

http://www.ndtv.com/news/world/armed_militants_occupy_sikhs_homes_in_pak.php

40 million as Jiziya !! It seems more like some local mafia under the guise of Taliban doing an extortion racket !!
Law and order problem

Taliban has its own law's and they have the right to change it according to their of requirements.

But due to this they are sowing the seed of haterade between to communities who had been living with each other for long time.

Wow 38 million as jizya!!!! That's one million from each of the 38 Sikhs families. The Taliban do their maths well :)

Yup they definately do :disagree: . Way better then some of the governments in the world, bcoz they have ppls who are good at it

Wow 38 million as jizya!!!! That's one million from each of the 38 Sikhs families. The Taliban do their maths well :)

Alright, i used a converter. It's around $20000. Seems hard to believe.

Are they charging Zakat as well?
Is that sarcasm or an actual question, because last i remember from my Islamiat classes, Jizya is tax imposed on non-Muslims as they are not liable to pay zakat.

Is that sarcasm or an actual question, because last i remember from my Islamiat classes, Jizya is tax imposed on non-Muslims as they are not liable to pay zakat.

No no, a genuine question mystery one.

I was wondering whether they're charging equal amounts of Zakat as well on the Muslim residents.

No no, a genuine question mystery one.

I was wondering whether they're charging equal amounts of Zakat as well on the Muslim residents.
Don't know if they are charging it or not. But it wouldn't surprise me if they were. They need funds to finance their "missions" and money in any way is welcome.

I feel sorry for the Sikhs in Orakzai. It's been their abode for the last 200 years and they stayed on even after Partition. Now they have been shown the door unceremoniously.

On the other end, though, one will be hard-pressed to find fault with the Taliban's decision to impose jizya cause isn't that part and parcel of Islam. In fact if they hadn't used force, this would have been acceptable to the liberals as well.

Don't know if they are charging it or not. But it wouldn't surprise me if they were. They need funds to finance their "missions" and money in any way is welcome.

I feel sorry for the Sikhs in Orakzai. It's been their abode for the last 200 years and they stayed on even after Partition. Now they have been shown the door unceremoniously.

On the other end, though, one will be hard-pressed to find fault with the Taliban's decision to impose jizya cause isn't that part and parcel of Islam. In fact if they hadn't used force, this would have been acceptable to the liberals as well.

I don't see a problem with imposing Jizya on the Sikhs, providing they imposed Zakat on the Muslims at the same time. That would seem fair.

The only issue is how much they're imposing, and are they imposing Zakat on the Muslims also?

i just hope the sikhs are rehabilitated somewhere else...maybe even in india..
i remember reading about the jaziya in history books....
the journey back to the stone age has begun...

i just hope the sikhs are rehabilitated somewhere else...maybe even in india..
i remember reading about the jaziya in history books....
the journey back to the stone age has begun...

Taxation is now a stone age thing? Rightttt, then.

Back
Top Bottom