What's new

Shekhar Gupta quits as editor-in-chief of Indian Express

AugenBlick

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Shekhar Gupta, the editor-in-chief of The Indian Express has resigned from his post today.

Gupta, who started his journalistic career with the Indian Express in 1977, has worked for 25 years with the Express in two stints.

Gupta will be with the group till 15 June, and his First Person/Second Draft column will continue till that time.

In a farewell email to all the employees, Gupta said “while goodbye notes can be heartwarming or heartbreaking, this is one such occasion when it is both”.

“It is time for me to say goodbyes at the Express — for the second time. The first was exactly at the same time of the year in 1983 when most of you were not born yet,” he wrote in his mail.

Gupta, 57, who was given the Padma Bhushan for the year 2009 for his contribution to the field of journalism, is reported to be joining India Today Group as the vice chairman and group editor. Gupta, however, did not respond to Business Standard queries.This will also be his second stint in the India Today group where he has been knwn for some major breaking stories one of them being his report of "Operation Bluestar," from inside the Golden temple and the "Nellie Massacre" in Assam in 1983.

Gupta further said in his mail: “I say goodbye now with joy because I leave behind a wonderfully vibrant newsroom with very good hands of home-grown leaders. And a newspaper that defines its value and power in terms of its depth, credibility and respect. There is no higher currency, no fairer denominator of a newspaper’s stature.”

Gupta said there isn’t a daily newspaper in India greater than the Express. “Or a greater gift that a journalist can ask for than to lead it. I have been doubly blessed. I started at the same paper as a reporter in 1977 and worked here for a full 25 years in two innings.”

But, when life becomes cosy for too long, you need to disrupt it, he wrote. “Smugness is the beginning of old age, even if you are in your teens, which I, regrettably, am not. I am embarrassed to lean on the wisdom of Neale Donald Walsh, a contemporary pop-spiritualist/philosopher so juvenile that had he been born in India, he would be a star on Aastha channel with his nutty Conversations with God. Life, he said, begins at the end of your comfort zone. I am checking him out,” he said, before signing off with a couple of lines by Gulzar.

Here is the full text of his reisgnation letter:

Goodbye notes can be heartwarming or heartbreaking. On a rare occasion they can be both. This is one such.

It is time for me to say goodbyes at the Express -- for the second time. The first was exactly at the same time of the year in 1983 when most of you were not born yet.

I say goodbye now with joy because I leave behind a wonderfully vibrant newsroom with very good hands of home-grown leaders. And a newspaper that defines its value and power in terms of its depth, credibility and respect. There is no higher currency, no fairer denominator of a newspaper's stature.

And also a wrench precisely because we are such a fun gang, topped by a large-hearted proprietor who pretty much distributes all that the company earns back to us. As generous compensations, great working conditions, never a resource spared in pursuit of a story. No call ever to kill a story once it passes our highest and the most exacting editorial bars and filters.

I can do no better than paraphrase what Gen. Krishnaswamy Sundarji, my friend and mentor in an area of journalism that fascinated me, had said at his farewell parade when cameras caught a hint of mist in his ever-smiling eyes. He said he didn't know whether to sob or smile. Because he was leaving behind the world's finest army that God gave any human the gift of leading.

There isn't a daily newspaper in India greater than the Express. Or a greater gift that a journalist can ask for than to lead it. I have been doubly blessed. I started at the same paper as a reporter in 1977 and worked here for a full 25 years in two innings.

Leadership is its own teacher. In fact, the finest. It gives you an opportunity to learn from the many brilliant people that you have been given the honour to lead. I know, many of you by now would be tired of my three-example rule in editorial writing. Yet, here are my three leadership lessons.

First, you must have a big heart. You can be a competent manager, a powerful boss, the wealthiest owner. But never a leader without a big heart. Because there is an essential moral dimension to leadership.

Second, always connect with the universe of those you lead. In our case, it is exhilarating as, across our teams, we trawl the worlds of politics, government, economics, science, culture, cinema and sports. Even markets and advertising, our roti-dal and EMIs.

And third, find that instinct to choose the most talented and diligent, give them space, and then trust them. I confess this defies conventional logic. Or advice on your usual leadership manual's back-flap. But trust with your heart and not merely, clinically with your head. This is the one gift I take away from Viveck through a two-decade professional relationship, and a friendship that endures.

This concludes my farewell sermon. So back to myself.

When life becomes cosy for too long, you need to disrupt it. Smugness is the beginning of old age, even if you are in your teens, which I, regrettably, am not. I am embarrassed to lean on the wisdom of Neale Donald Walsh, a contemporary pop-spiritualist/philosopher so juvenile that had he been born in India, he would be a star on Aastha channel with his nutty Conversations with God. Life, he said, begins at the end of your comfort zone. I am checking him out.

In any case, I am an incorrigible reporter and thereby a terminal adventure junkie. By the way, even at the risk of being charged with crass tribalism, I shall write something more specifically for my fellow reporters at the Express. But a bit later.

I had said at my book release by Arun Shourie in Mumbai earlier this month that he taught me many things, but never to write anything short, an article, a letter, even a farewell note. So I can continue to indulge myself today as well. But you have to bring out tomorrow's paper. And I must write my first in this series -- my last at the Express -- of First Person/Second Draft -- on time. Heard that before?

I so love you all, friends, colleagues, much younger, brighter and with a great future. I am proud of you and cherish the time we spent together. I will be generally in my office until June 15.There is a fair bit of pending writing. So please be forewarned: you will still have to endure the corridor addas on my compulsive breaks from spells of writing, bare feet and all.

Postscript: One antidote to compulsive rambling is to steal a poet's lines. Let me sign off, therefore, with Gulzar, whom we all so adore...

Din dhale jahan, raat paas ho,

Zindagi ki lau, oonchi kar chalo,

Yaad aaye gar kabhi, jee udaas ho,

Meri awaz hi pehchan hai,

Gar yaad rahe...

We will always be in touch....

One more down....Another one bites the dust

Shekhar Gupta quits as editor-in-chief of Indian Express | Business Standard
Hmm... from one "secular" paper to the other.
Nice. Now he has joined the krantikaari group.

@wolfschanzze Order 66 :devil:

Last edited:
Shekhar Gupta, the editor-in-chief of The Indian Express has resigned from his post today.

Gupta, who started his journalistic career with the Indian Express in 1977, has worked for 25 years with the Express in two stints.

Gupta will be with the group till 15 June, and his First Person/Second Draft column will continue till that time.

In a farewell email to all the employees, Gupta said “while goodbye notes can be heartwarming or heartbreaking, this is one such occasion when it is both”.

“It is time for me to say goodbyes at the Express — for the second time. The first was exactly at the same time of the year in 1983 when most of you were not born yet,” he wrote in his mail.

Gupta, 57, who was given the Padma Bhushan for the year 2009 for his contribution to the field of journalism, is reported to be joining India Today Group as the vice chairman and group editor. Gupta, however, did not respond to Business Standard queries.This will also be his second stint in the India Today group where he has been knwn for some major breaking stories one of them being his report of "Operation Bluestar," from inside the Golden temple and the "Nellie Massacre" in Assam in 1983.

Gupta further said in his mail: “I say goodbye now with joy because I leave behind a wonderfully vibrant newsroom with very good hands of home-grown leaders. And a newspaper that defines its value and power in terms of its depth, credibility and respect. There is no higher currency, no fairer denominator of a newspaper’s stature.”

Gupta said there isn’t a daily newspaper in India greater than the Express. “Or a greater gift that a journalist can ask for than to lead it. I have been doubly blessed. I started at the same paper as a reporter in 1977 and worked here for a full 25 years in two innings.”

But, when life becomes cosy for too long, you need to disrupt it, he wrote. “Smugness is the beginning of old age, even if you are in your teens, which I, regrettably, am not. I am embarrassed to lean on the wisdom of Neale Donald Walsh, a contemporary pop-spiritualist/philosopher so juvenile that had he been born in India, he would be a star on Aastha channel with his nutty Conversations with God. Life, he said, begins at the end of your comfort zone. I am checking him out,” he said, before signing off with a couple of lines by Gulzar.

Here is the full text of his reisgnation letter:

Goodbye notes can be heartwarming or heartbreaking. On a rare occasion they can be both. This is one such.

It is time for me to say goodbyes at the Express -- for the second time. The first was exactly at the same time of the year in 1983 when most of you were not born yet.

I say goodbye now with joy because I leave behind a wonderfully vibrant newsroom with very good hands of home-grown leaders. And a newspaper that defines its value and power in terms of its depth, credibility and respect. There is no higher currency, no fairer denominator of a newspaper's stature.

And also a wrench precisely because we are such a fun gang, topped by a large-hearted proprietor who pretty much distributes all that the company earns back to us. As generous compensations, great working conditions, never a resource spared in pursuit of a story. No call ever to kill a story once it passes our highest and the most exacting editorial bars and filters.

I can do no better than paraphrase what Gen. Krishnaswamy Sundarji, my friend and mentor in an area of journalism that fascinated me, had said at his farewell parade when cameras caught a hint of mist in his ever-smiling eyes. He said he didn't know whether to sob or smile. Because he was leaving behind the world's finest army that God gave any human the gift of leading.

There isn't a daily newspaper in India greater than the Express. Or a greater gift that a journalist can ask for than to lead it. I have been doubly blessed. I started at the same paper as a reporter in 1977 and worked here for a full 25 years in two innings.

Leadership is its own teacher. In fact, the finest. It gives you an opportunity to learn from the many brilliant people that you have been given the honour to lead. I know, many of you by now would be tired of my three-example rule in editorial writing. Yet, here are my three leadership lessons.

First, you must have a big heart. You can be a competent manager, a powerful boss, the wealthiest owner. But never a leader without a big heart. Because there is an essential moral dimension to leadership.

Second, always connect with the universe of those you lead. In our case, it is exhilarating as, across our teams, we trawl the worlds of politics, government, economics, science, culture, cinema and sports. Even markets and advertising, our roti-dal and EMIs.

And third, find that instinct to choose the most talented and diligent, give them space, and then trust them. I confess this defies conventional logic. Or advice on your usual leadership manual's back-flap. But trust with your heart and not merely, clinically with your head. This is the one gift I take away from Viveck through a two-decade professional relationship, and a friendship that endures.

This concludes my farewell sermon. So back to myself.

When life becomes cosy for too long, you need to disrupt it. Smugness is the beginning of old age, even if you are in your teens, which I, regrettably, am not. I am embarrassed to lean on the wisdom of Neale Donald Walsh, a contemporary pop-spiritualist/philosopher so juvenile that had he been born in India, he would be a star on Aastha channel with his nutty Conversations with God. Life, he said, begins at the end of your comfort zone. I am checking him out.

In any case, I am an incorrigible reporter and thereby a terminal adventure junkie. By the way, even at the risk of being charged with crass tribalism, I shall write something more specifically for my fellow reporters at the Express. But a bit later.

I had said at my book release by Arun Shourie in Mumbai earlier this month that he taught me many things, but never to write anything short, an article, a letter, even a farewell note. So I can continue to indulge myself today as well. But you have to bring out tomorrow's paper. And I must write my first in this series -- my last at the Express -- of First Person/Second Draft -- on time. Heard that before?

I so love you all, friends, colleagues, much younger, brighter and with a great future. I am proud of you and cherish the time we spent together. I will be generally in my office until June 15.There is a fair bit of pending writing. So please be forewarned: you will still have to endure the corridor addas on my compulsive breaks from spells of writing, bare feet and all.

Postscript: One antidote to compulsive rambling is to steal a poet's lines. Let me sign off, therefore, with Gulzar, whom we all so adore...

Din dhale jahan, raat paas ho,

Zindagi ki lau, oonchi kar chalo,

Yaad aaye gar kabhi, jee udaas ho,

Meri awaz hi pehchan hai,

Gar yaad rahe...

We will always be in touch....

One more down....Another one bites the dust

Shekhar Gupta quits as editor-in-chief of Indian Express | Business Standard
Hmm... from one "secular" paper to the other.
Nice. Now he has joined the krantikaari group.

@wolfschanzze Order 66 :devil:
Note he got padmabhushan in 2009, implies he was under the tutelage of Gandhi family, now his days are up,he is quitting himself before he is made to quit.More churning to come and all these places to be occupied by nationalist people. :devil::devil:
These people now will find employers in west if modi turns east ignoring west, Then west will use them to print damning articles about fascist and etc.

Note he got padmabhushan in 2009, implies he was under the tutelage of Gandhi family, now his days are up,he is quitting himself before he is made to quit.More churning to come and all these places to be occupied by nationalist people. :devil::devil:
These people now will find employers in west if modi turns east ignoring west, Then west will use them to print damning articles about fascist and etc.
I can see it...The Guardians headlines like ...
India sells secularism for economic progress:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can see it...The Guardians headlines like ...
India sells secularism for economic progress:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
For now they are put on hold, since they tried desperately to stop modi becoming pm, now that they failed, if they print such articles the relations between countries will be affected.
But, if India ignores them and does more business with East then slowly they will make us look like another rogue nation like north korea,iran and we will the new whipping boy like china and russia is now.

@AugenBlick @wolfschanzze

He was pro-BJP and is getting a better job at India today group. His newspaper Indian express was only pro-BJP English language newspaper at least since 2010-11.

Every English language editor is not sickular.

He was pro-BJP and is getting a better job at India today group. His newspaper Indian express was only pro-BJP English language newspaper at least since 2010-11.

Well perhaps, if he was Pro-BJP then he will get a better job now :D

slowly they will make us look like another rogue nation like north korea,iran and we will the new whipping boy like china and russia is now.
That is a possibility
But they have one small problem.
There is a small but vocal indian diaspora calling some shots in the UK & US.
Not that powerful yet but significant.
I remember a news item that a british MP was using "better relations with India" as his election pluspoints to gather votes.
More lobbying groups present in the US as well.
They don't control the media, but surely are not lame duck.
As far as being whipping boy is concerned, when we become one , its an indication that we are on the right path.
:D

Not so much.
He never criticized Modi as such or used the secular-brigade as such.
He was definitely more reserved, but was never pro BJP.
He also was on good terms with NDTV and used to host their "walk the talk" show. And NDTV is obviously the bastion of congress.

bullshit,he is one of the most balanced journalists i have ever seen.....................excellent articles and editorials.

totally agree,people who are laughing at guta haven't read a single article he wrote.
go and read them,,,,he was very good and balanced journalist

That is a possibility
But they have one small problem.
There is a small but vocal indian diaspora calling some shots in the UK & US.
Not that powerful yet but significant.
I remember a news item that a british MP was using "better relations with India" as his election pluspoints to gather votes.
More lobbying groups present in the US as well.
They don't control the media, but surely are not lame duck.
As far as being whipping boy is concerned, when we become one , its an indication that we are on the right path.
:D

Not so much.
He never criticized Modi as such or used the secular-brigade as such.
He was definitely more reserved, but was never pro BJP.
He also was on good terms with NDTV and used to host their "walk the talk" show. And NDTV is obviously the bastion of congress.
Yes we need more lobbies,If our economy is growing,there won't be any bad articles,Money talks everyone wants money.But first we need to replace that JNU lot with ours.I hope RAW is given a free hand with Doval as chief secretary.Need more aggressives ops in Baluchisthan if Pakistan goes back to Kashmir disupted territory or wont settle the border issue.

bullshit,he is one of the most balanced journalists i have ever seen.....................excellent articles and editorials.

totally agree,people who are laughing at guta haven't read a single article he wrote.
go and read them,,,,he was very good and balanced journalist
No idea about him buddy, i don't get indian express paper so never read about him.,

Yes we need more lobbies,If our economy is growing,there won't be any bad articles,Money talks everyone wants money.But first we need to replace that JNU lot with ours.I hope RAW is given a free hand with Doval as chief secretary.Need more aggressives ops in Baluchisthan if Pakistan goes back to Kashmir disupted territory or wont settle the border issue.

No idea about him buddy, i don't get indian express paper so never read about him.,

thats the whole problem,,,,people are labelling everyone who dosen't support bjp as a traitor and this is bullshit.
just read any one his editorials,the guy was very good and neutral

Modi oily is flexing his muscles against indian independent media

thats the whole problem,,,,people are labelling everyone who dosen't support bjp as a traitor and this is bullshit.
just read any one his editorials,the guy was very good and neutral
Hey, relax, we were joking :D, we are not labelling everyone a s traitor, just amused at so many resignations suddenly after Modi became PM.Compells you think, why all of a sudden? :D

Back
Top Bottom