What's new

Russia seeks to sell stealth jets to Korea

North Korea is a little tricky to say, I can see why China is supporting NK because a collapse of the regime would flood their borders with refugees. Though things can't stay this way forever, hypothetically speaking if the regime collapse and the NK refugees came into SK what will the general reaction be in your opinion.
From what? East Germany collapsed and no such 'refugees' situation occurred. If China stop supporting NKR, that part of Korea would either collapse on its own or go to war and NKR would lose. Even if China is 'flooded' with refugees, China is under no obligations to accept these people for the long term. China can round them up and deport them back to Korea. The only reason why China props up NKR is to use that half of the country as a buffer against the US/SKR alliance.

From what? East Germany collapsed and no such 'refugees' situation occurred.

I very much doubt North Korea and East Germany shares the kind of similarities that you speak. I doubt East Germany had now where near the level of starvation that goes on in North Korea today, anyway here's a link that discusses such comparisons (Comparing North Korea to East Germany | East Asia Forum)

If China stop supporting NKR, that part of Korea would either collapse on its own or go to war and NKR would lose. Even if China is 'flooded' with refugees, China is under no obligations to accept these people for the long term. China can round them up and deport them back to Korea.

I doubt very 2 Million starving refugees and some with weapons will simply stop at the border and await instructions, in fact I wouldn't be surprise if the army rounded them up and force them to cross the DMZ (Similar to whats going on in Libya).

The only reason why China props up NKR is to use that half of the country as a buffer against the US/SKR alliance.

Can't refute that.

Wow that's stronger then I expected, I'll take your word for it cause I have not been down to Korea myself.
An interesting observation. Every major city of the world has Chinatown, except for Seoul. Why? Because the land is hostile enough for the Chinese to not able to take a root and prosper.

Then again, the dislike of China under the communist rule is pretty universal and nothing unique to Korea, and that Pakistan's favorable view of China is a rare exception, not the norm. China under KMT rule was actually popular in the US, and you had many American volunteer fighter pilots battling Japanese on behalf of China during the Sino-Japanese war, along with many Hollywood movies portraying China's courageous fight against Japanese imperialists.

North Korea is a little tricky to say, I can see why China is supporting NK because a collapse of the regime would flood their borders with refugees.
Most of those refugees would be going back home within two years and this is not China's concern. China's concern is having a strong anti-China military presence within 600 km from Beijing, like a hypothetical USAF base in North Korea where 100 F-22 and F-35 stealth fighters along with dozens of spy planes are fielded.

hypothetically speaking if the regime collapse and the NK refugees came into SK what will the general reaction be in your opinion.
NK refugees will not come to ROK in mass number because DMZ will stand even after the Kim Jong Il regime's fall. The regime-collapse scenario calls for the sealing of NK borders during 10~20 year reconstruction period, maintaining a separate currency.

I doubt very 2 Million starving refugees and some with weapons will simply stop at the border and await instructions, in fact I wouldn't be surprise if the army rounded them up and force them to cross the DMZ

"Crossing the DMZ" is simply not possible if you understand what DMZ is. It has a mile deep minefield and several layers of electric fences on both side. If the refugee has to flee, they can only go up north.

I very much doubt North Korea and East Germany shares the kind of similarities that you speak. I doubt East Germany had now where near the level of starvation that goes on in North Korea today, anyway here's a link that discusses such comparisons (Comparing North Korea to East Germany | East Asia Forum)
I have been to East Berlin when it existed and to SKR. While the differences between East Germany and NKR are great, national and familial ties are difficult to sever. The Koreans will survive.

An interesting observation. Every major city of the world has Chinatown, except for Seoul. Why? Because the land is hostile enough for the Chinese to not able to take a root and prosper.

Then again, the dislike of China under the communist rule is pretty universal and nothing unique to Korea, and that Pakistan's favorable view of China is a rare exception, not the norm. China under KMT rule was actually popular in the US, and you had many American volunteer fighter pilots battling Japanese on behalf of China during the Sino-Japanese war, along with many Hollywood movies portraying China's courageous fight against Japanese imperialists.

Most of those refugees would be going back home within two years and this is not China's concern. China's concern is having a strong anti-China military presence within 600 km from Beijing, like a hypothetical USAF base in North Korea where 100 F-22 and F-35 stealth fighters along with dozens of spy planes are fielded.

Thanks for the above, I was not aware that Seoul does not have a Chinatown, I'll defintely want to come by Korea one day. As mentioned I don't refute the above as NK being a buffer zone

NK refugees will not come to ROK in mass number because DMZ will stand even after the Kim Jong Il regime's fall. The regime-collapse scenario calls for the sealing of NK borders during 10~20 year reconstruction period, maintaining a separate currency.

I suspect they will try to enter China as opposed to SK, porous borders.

"Crossing the DMZ" is simply not possible if you understand what DMZ is. It has a mile deep minefield and several layers of electric fences on both side. If the refugee has to flee, they can only go up north.

Actually I used that as an example of what the regime might do when forced to desperation, nothing catches more prime time news then refugees blowing themselves up on TV.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I have been to East Berlin when it existed and to SKR. While the differences between East Germany and NKR are great, national and familial ties are difficult to sever. The Koreans will survive.

I will take your word on that (though lightly salted) since I've only been to East Germany only after the wall came down. Though I feel NK is run more like a cult group then a country, there was a documentary of a girl from NK that reunited with her sister in SK but went back to NK because of her devotion to the regime. Odd isn't it.

Anyway I am off this thread gents before I derail it anymore, thanks for your comments on the above.

Back
Top Bottom