What's new

Russia continues to receive electronic chips from Western manufacturers, necessary for the manufacture of weapons

Reaction score
Country
Canada

dilyandamjk5zh6bqjeyhdymwy.jpeg

Main photo: A close-up photo shows Cypress Semiconductor chips in the on-board computer of a Russian 9M727 missile that the Ukrainian military assembled on the battlefield and presented to Reuters by a senior SBU official in Kyiv, July 19, 2022. REUTERS/ Valentin Ohirenko

The Russians arranged to supply the necessary Western electronics to manufacture weapons through Turkey and Hong Kong.

This is stated in a joint investigation by Reuters and the British analytical center Royal United Services Institute (RUSI).

The investigators found out that in the seven months to October 31, 2022, electronics imports to the Russian Federation amounted to 2.6 billion dollars. Of these, 777 million dollars accounted for goods of Western manufacturers.

Among the imported goods are computer chips from US companies Intel Corp, Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD), Texas Instruments Inc and Analog Devices Inc, and Germany’s Infineon AG.

signal-2022-04-26-135858_008-22-1024x576.jpg
Microcircuit of the American company Texas Instruments Incorporated in the Russian radio station P-168-5UT-2 captured in Ukraine. April 2022. Photo: “Militarny”

Components manufactured in these companies were found in Russian weapons systems.

To carry out deliveries, Russia has created companies in Turkey, Hong Kong, and other world trade centers.

In addition, one Russian importer, LLC Fortap, based in St. Petersburg, was established by a Russian businessman in April. Since then, the company has imported at least $138 million worth of electronics, including American computer components.

This information is indicated in the documents of Russian customs. They show that one of the biggest suppliers for Fortap has become the Turkish company Bion Group Ltd Sti, which used to trade in textiles. Recently, Bion Group Ltd Sti started wholesale electronics. They refused to comment there.

Another Russian importer, Titan-Micro LLC, is registered at an address on the northern outskirts of Moscow. The company also imported Western computer components after the invasion.

Some suppliers, including Hong Kong and Turkey firms, have ties to Russian nationals. This is reflected in the company’s documents.

ebcry2vdszjfbjbnxv4gfc4m6m-1024x683.jpeg
An Altera Cyclone II FPGA chip in the internal navigation system of the Russian high-precision guided missile 9M544, also known as Tornado-S, which the Ukrainian military assembled on the battlefield and presented to Reuters by a senior SBU official in Kyiv, Ukraine, July 19, 2022. REUTERS/Valentyn Ohirenko

Investigators stress that the documents obtained from the three commercial suppliers do not specify the type of semiconductors and other electronic products purchased. In addition, it is not known what exactly happens to these components when they reach Russia.

At the same time, the investigation emphasizes that after the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the declared value of semiconductor imports by Russia actually increased dramatically.

To be fair to Texas Instruments, I doubt Texas Instruments violated US government sanction and supplied chips to Russia. Russians probably drove a car into China and bought some electronics in a Chinese electronics store, drove back to Russia, took the electronics apart, reverse engineered the chip. I know for sure in the 80s during the Cold War Russians reverse engineered Texas Instruments chips.

@Beny Karachun @sammuel @gambit @Oldman1 @mike2000 is back @Ali_Baba @Viet @nahtanbob @Beast @MH.Yang

To be fair to Texas Instruments, I doubt Texas Instruments violated US government sanction and supplied chips to Russia. Russians probably drove a car into China and bought some electronics in a Chinese electronics store, drove back to Russia, took the electronics apart, reverse engineered the chip. I know for sure in the 80s during the Cold War Russians reverse engineered Texas Instruments chips.

@Beny Karachun @sammuel @gambit @Oldman1 @mike2000 is back @Ali_Baba @Viet @nahtanbob @Beast @MH.Yang

with revenue of $25 million I will let you figure out how/what they can produce

25 million in Russia is worth 100 million in the US, maybe more. And that was 2015 numbers. Now it's probably double or even triple that.

American companies has the best prices for semiconductors.
Even a 2nd tier American company like Marvell has $4.5 billion in revenues

American companies has the best prices for semiconductors.
Even a 2nd tier American company like Marvell has $4.5 billion in revenues

Americans are wasteful. 99% of cars and electronics sit on shelves with no buyer. I been to Costco. I have seen it with my own eyes. Waste is a crime. Americans waste. Americans crime. The planet suffers.

Back
Top Bottom