What's new

Reading Hamid Karzi

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ambassador Weinbaum penes an unveiling article on Foreign Policy, here, with excerpts below.

Our Afghan members continuously harp on why Pakistan doesn't expel Afghan insurgents -- however it seems Afghans in general are fine if they make peace with the man famous of rocketing Kabul and throwing acid on girls faces.

... Karzai's powerful chief of staff, Abdul Karim Khoram, and several of his closest advisors, including Ministers Umar Doudzai and Farooq Wardak, are known to have strong connections with Hezb-i-Islami's political wing. Khoram serves as gatekeeper for the president, controlling who he meets and the information he receives. They, among others, help shape Karzai's worldview by feeding his well-known appetite for conspiracy theories. The influence of Hezb-i-Islami also reaches into the bureaucracy, and its members are well represented in the national and several provincial assemblies.

... In early November 2013, a Hezb-i-Islami party member who negotiates on behalf of Gulbuddin with the Kabul government led a delegation that also met privately with Abdullah Abdullah and Ashraf Ghani, the two leading candidates for the presidency. A former deputy leader of Hezb-i-Islami's political wing is now the candidate for first vice president on Abdullah's ticket, ...

... A Pakistan feeling confident that its national interests can be protected in a power-sharing arrangement in Kabul that includes Hezb-i-Islami might be persuaded to evict irreconcilable Afghan insurgents on its soil.

... A tie-up between Karzai, Pakistan, and Hezb-i-Islami could turn many ethnic elites in the north toward armed rebellion against Kabul. ...

Back
Top Bottom