What's new

Rape, torture and child murder alleged in new UN report into Rakhine State

XDescendantX

Reaction score
Country
United States
By Ben Westcott, CNN
Updated 6:58 PM ET, Sat February 4, 2017

(CNN)Myanmar's security forces are waging a brutal campaign of murder, rape and torture in Rakhine State, a new UN report released on Friday has alleged.

Eyewitness statements in the report detail "unprecedented" levels of violence, include burning people alive, raping girls as young as 11 and cutting children's throats.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein said in a statement the report indicates "very likely commission of crimes against humanity."

Aye Aye Soe, a spokeswoman for the Myanmar government, said the government has seen the report and is "very concerned about the allegations"

"The Investigation Commission headed by the Vice President will look into it. If evidences of the violations are found we will definitely take action on them," she told CNN via email.
Soe said she would respond to CNN with more details at a later date.

myanmar_map_medium2.jpg

A United Nations team in Bangladesh interviewed about 220 Rohingya Muslims who had fled Rakhine State after the outbreak of violence for the report.

There have been numerous allegations of human rights abuses in Rakhine State in recent months, but CNN has been unable to verify them, due to the Myanmar government's tight travel restrictions.

The United Nations estimates about 69,000 people have fled from Myanmar to Bangladesh since the violence began.

Mother burned to death 'before my eyes'

Out of the 220 people interviewed, the report said 65% had witnessed killings, while just under half had personally had a family member murdered.

A woman from Kyet Yoe Pyin village alleged her 5-year-old daughter was killed when she tried to stop attackers from raping her mother.

"She was screaming, one of the men took out a long knife and killed her by slitting her throat," the report says.

A young girl told interviewers soldiers killed her father, then raped her mother before locking her inside the family's house and burning it down. "All this happened before my eyes," she said.

More than half of the 101 women interviewed by the UN reported either rape or sexual assault before fleeing Rakhine State -- the youngest was 11 years old.

Sixty-four percent of those interviewed reporting burning or destruction of property while 37% said their own property had been stolen or looted.

There were also allegations of torture, including beating and sexual humiliation.

Fleeting glimpses emerge

Up until now only fleeting glimpses of the situation inside the Rakhine State have emerged.

A Rohingya refugee who lost his 16-month-old son Mohammed fleeing Myanmar told CNN they had left after the military attacked their village, burning his grandfather and grandmother alive.

"We couldn't stay in our house. We fled and went into hiding in the jungle," he said.

The Myanmar government has repeatedly denied claims of human rights abuses, saying they are carrying out "clearance operations" against suspects who attacked Myanmar border guards in October 2016.

Myanmar's government is still limiting access for aid agencies and journalists to the area.
Former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan, who is part of a Myanmar-government commission into the Rakhine State, has said he is "deeply concerned" about the violence.

Rohingya Muslims, a stateless minority recognized by neither Myanmar nor neighboring Bangladesh, have expressed their disappointment with State Councilor Aung San Suu Kyi, who they'd hoped would help them after decades of discrimination.

CNN's Sandi Sidhu contributed to this report

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/asia/rohingya-united-nations-report/

The Pakistanis want to sell em fighters jets. Lmao.

Why bring Pakistan into all this? Consider this a warning. You literally ruined the thread.

Check the language in this thread @waz @WAJsal

Yes, ironically I get called on for help when Indian nationalists bring their onslaught. Yet we had some Bengali posters trolling their own section.

Why bring Pakistan into all this? Consider this a warning. You literally ruined the thread.

Yes, ironically I get called on for help when Indian nationalists bring their onslaught. Yet we had some Bengali posters trolling their own section.
it matters because.... sales of weapons to a group who's reportedly involved in killing innocent civilians is not a good idea.... (raises eyebrows everywhere)

it matters because.... sales of weapons to a group who's reportedly involved in killing innocent civilians is not a good idea.... (raises eyebrows everywhere)

So why single out Pakistan for it? They are literally providing a fraction of a percentage to MM that China has over decades military wise.

But where is all the hate for China from BD for that?

So why single out Pakistan for it? They are literally providing a fraction of a percentage to MM that China has over decades military wise.

But where is all the hate for China from BD for that?
i don't mean to pick on pakistan... it's that i raised my concern as they always claim to look out after muslims around the world... so raising my concern as i think its a bad idea.... but of course they're soveriegn nation and can choose to do whatever they want.

t's that i raised my concern as they always claim to look out after muslims around the world.

They really dont. They have been shafted royally by the so called ummah and have more or less woken up to that fact in large numbers even among their elite. You can have this conversation with @Kaptaan

This topic however should focus on the UN report. I personally think UN should also gather witness based testimony from the arakan people regarding their treatment at the hands of the Rohingya. There must be a balanced approach to ascertaining the truth so blame/culpability can be more reasonably ascertained and leveled against.

When the word "genocide" is simply used by various members here to blanket what is a pretty complicated scenario, I think that is quite unfair on all the genuine victims of all the actions and counter-actions.

But the UN itself is something of a biased institution in many cases (for example can look at the yugoslav break up)...so I don't hold much hope for it in such matters.

They really dont. They have been shafted royally by the so called ummah and have more or less woken up to that fact in large numbers even among their elite. You can have this conversation with @Kaptaan

This topic however should focus on the UN report. I personally think UN should also gather witness based testimony from the arakan people regarding their treatment at the hands of the Rohingya. There must be a balanced approach to ascertaining the truth so blame/culpability can be more reasonably ascertained and leveled against.

When the word "genocide" is simply used by various members here to blanket what is a pretty complicated scenario, I think that is quite unfair on all the genuine victims of all the actions and counter-actions.

But the UN itself is something of a biased institution in many cases (for example can look at the yugoslav break up)...so I don't hold much hope for it in such matters.
pakistan may or may not be involved now but their interference in the past is certain. Did you miss the Rainman's post which gives a good account of crisis. Seems once pakistan wanted to do la kashmir on myanmar. :cheesy:

i don't mean to pick on pakistan... it's that i raised my concern as they always claim to look out after muslims around the world... so raising my concern as i think its a bad idea.... but of course they're soveriegn nation and can choose to do whatever they want.
Yeh, look what happened in 1971. As far as I am concerned anything east of Radcliffe Line is not worth the price of garbage. My only interest, West and North.

pakistan may or may not be involved now but their interference in the past is certain. Did you miss the Rainman's post which gives a good account of crisis. Seems once pakistan wanted to do la kashmir on myanmar. :cheesy:

Yah i read it. Very insightful. But I judge Pakistan and its citizens on present rather than past (though I keep past in mind for sure). There is at least a good trend happening somewhat in recent years compared to before. With less ummah and more reliance on pragmatic atheist China, I am hoping that this will change Pakistan mindset long term w.r.t India and help to resolve the many lingering issues that create a messy fog of militarism and war.

With less ummah and more reliance on pragmatic atheist China, I am hoping that this will change Pakistan mindset long term
Indeed. I don't think people quite appreciate the change we are going to see over the horizon. For me CPEC is not the tarmac or concrete. It is the introduction of a alternative way of doing and differant mindset of the Chinese. As we move forward Chinese leverage will increase. Some may see negatives in that. I see positives.

It will wean Pakistan away from the 'Arabism' that took roots after 1970s congruent to the rise of Oil Arabs. As millions of workers went their and Pak politicians were bought out we saw the ridse of the Arabism. This really was amplified by Gen. Zia during the 1980s. I think we are pass the high water mark of that and slowly a shift is taking place from a direction that Pak has been on for over 35 years.

For me I would prefer being beholden to the Chinese then Arabs. At least you get ingredients of modern success whereas with the Oily Arabs all you got was medieval practices but minus the oil.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom