What's new

Railway line linking Kashmir with rest of India may become functional by 2021

anant_s

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India is fast-tracking a project to connect Kashmir valley with the rest of the country by rail, which will enable trains to operate between New Delhi and Srinagar in 14 hours flat.
The railway line, which could become functional in four years, is seen as a big development push by the Narendra Modi government in the valley. Costing over Rs 10,000 crore, it will provide all-weather connectivity and be a cornerstone of the government’s outreach programme in Jammu & Kashmir. The project is being personally monitored by rail minister Suresh Prabhu.

About two-thirds of the 326 km Jammu-Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link is ready. The portion that needs to be completed is a 111 km stretch between Katra, the Hindu pilgrimage town near Jammu, and Banihal on the slopes of Kashmir valley, for which the railway ministry has already allocated funds and formed a special monitoring team. Banihal is connected to Baramulla via Srinagar, while Jammu is linked to Katra via Udhampur.

railways1.jpg

The Katra-Banihal project is considered the toughest in the country’s engineering history and involves the construction of 27 bridges, including the tallest rail bridge in the world, and 37 tunnels, one of which is the longest in Asia at more than 12 km.

“It will not only make passenger travel more convenient, which will give a push to tourism in the valley, but will also make movement of freight to and from the valley a lot easier and cheaper, leading to the creation of more jobs i ..

The official said the rail project will offer all-weather connectivity and is high among the priorities of the Central government.

“It’s a big part of their Kashmir outreach programme. The funds are being released timely so that there are no further delays. Construction on various stretches on the route is already on and several international consultants have been engaged,” the official said.

The terrain in the Himalayas, one of the youngest mountain ranges in the world, is tough as the soil changes every 15 km, the official said. Most of the 111 km Katra-Banihal route will consist of tunnels (95 km) and bridges (almost 10 km).

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...e-functional-by-2021/articleshow/58617737.cms

upload_2017-5-11_9-2-7.png

upload_2017-5-11_9-2-38.png

upload_2017-5-11_9-3-4.png

Would love to travel on this scenic route.
Also has Himachal-Leh rail route been sanctioned?Leh is held hostage by Kashmir valley and cut off from Jammu and rest of India

Also has Himachal-Leh rail route been sanctioned?Leh is held hostage by Kashmir valley and cut off from Jammu and rest of India
I don't think so... But Rohtang Tunnel is almost done now.. almost 90% tunneling work is done ...

Himachal-Leh rail route been sanctioned?
Not yet, but like you said, it is a vital plan for it will provide an alternate connectivity to strategically important Leh and ladakh region.
Me too... where else in India would you find scenes like these.
01_Snowfall-in-Srinagar.jpg
article-0-170608B1000005DC-139_634x407.jpg
kashmir-in-winter.jpg

03_Snowfall-in-Srinagar.jpg

For a railway photography buff like me, Winter snow, 70-200 Lens and setup like this is definition of Railway Paradise.:smitten:
I hope i get a chance someday.
@AndrewJin

More delays ?

Wasn't the Anji Khud and Chenab bridge to be completed by 2019?

@anant_s

What about branch lines to Kupwara, Phalgam and Poonch? Are they too be completed by 2021?

There were some issues with design aspects and line alignment. These have now been sorted out and construction is in full swing.

Can you put up a map of how would the railway network look if the present line , with its branch lines, Sri Nagar to Leh line and Bilaspur to Leh line are competed?

@anant_s

What about branch lines to Kupwara, Phalgam and Poonch? Are they too be compared by 2021?
Right now priority is to form a seamless connection to Srinagar from New Delhi (this being a national project). Branch lines will comeup afterwards.
After Kargil a lot of noises were made to improve railway connectivity, but the lost years of railways (2000-2010) meant that nearly 20 years after that event we are still to complete the lines. I mean this is an engineering challenge without peer in India, but we have had the privilege of having genius like Sreedharan sir as well. Had his advice on line grade (slope) increase with end to end electrification taken immediately, we would have avoided unnecessary line layout through circuitous path, further reducing construction time.
Lets hope this push from current administration from railway ministry will allow the project to be completed without any further delays.
of all people who want this project to be complete, i dearly wish Vajpayee sahab to travel from Delhi to Srinagar on train, for he wanted this project most.
He is in my mind to this project, what John Stevens (as an engineer) was to Panama Canal.

Can you put up a map of how would the railway network look if the present line
usbrp.gif

Sri Nagar to Leh line and Bilaspur to Leh line are competed?
These alignments are not known to me and the reason is perhaps they are still debating on Geo-technical studies. These hills in Young Himalayas are extremely unstable as far as seismic activity is concerned and therefore they would need more time to freeze final layouts.

You can read more about project progress here
http://usbrl.org/aboutus.php

@Nilgiri

Bungee jumping from Chenab rail bridge in the offing

"Also, the Chenab rail bridge, the crowning glory of the Kashmir rail link project, is expected to host bungee jumping and many other such exciting sport events.

There will be sight seeing points, trekking routes and hotels slated to be constructed in the area to cater the tourists in the difficult terrain, railway officials said."
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...henab-rail-bridge-in-the-offing/1/948531.html

Lot scary too

Back
Top Bottom