What's new

Question to Indians regarding river Ganges

Reaction score
Country
Italy
As far as i know the river Ganges is holy for Indians, right?

So why is nothing done to protect and save the river? The Ganges river is unique in the world for its amazing wildlife. Gharial, Ganges shark, Ganges dolphins.

But nothing is done to protect it. Infact the Ganges river is the most polluted river in the world. The amount of chemicals and garbage pumped into the river reach astounding levels. Scientists say that the collapse of the entire ecosystem is imminent.

Its a proven facts that rivers can be brought back to live. The Rhein in Germany was almost without life in the 70th and today is filled again with salmon and sturgeons.

Why is nothing doen regarding that in India? Are people aware of whats going on and dont care?

So why is nothing done to protect and save the river? The Ganges river is unique in the world for its amazing wildlife. Gharial, Ganges shark, Ganges dolphins.

But nothing is done to protect it. Infact the Ganges river is the most polluted river in the world. The amount of chemicals and garbage pumped into the river reach astounding levels. Scientists say that the collapse of the entire ecosystem is imminent.

Its a proven facts that rivers can be brought back to live. The Rhein in Germany was almost without life in the 70th and today is filled again with salmon and sturgeons.

Why is nothing doen regarding that in India? Are people aware of whats going on and dont care?

We have started the process ; It will take more time ;Five more years

The decades of neglect cannot be overcome easily

BTW ; you should edit the title ; It is Indians not Indins as you have written

so you were Indian all these times, who was posing as a european.

Because Indians don't have the civic sense...they want their home to be clean and good, but don't care about the cleanliness of the city. Public property means it is there to be destroyed for an Indian. The same happened to Ganga. Now it will take ages for Ganga to be cleaned. May be even 50 years.

We have started the process ; It will take more time ;Five more years

The decades of neglect cannot be overcome easily

BTW ; you should edit the title ; It is Indians not Indins as you have written

Oh yes. We have started the process. First phase is done. Our beloved PM has given a pose for photographs. In fact, he has given a pose with a jhaadu for media and for accomodating the cost of the publicity, imposed a Jhaadu Tax on the Indians.
Next phase is to build a foundation stone. That will be done in a year for another publicity stunt before election.
Next will be after the elections to show that they started the activity.
Then another one before election again.
This process will be continued for free publicity with peoples money.
And the story continues with the caption "Then there is progress........"
When my children ask me to tell them a never ending story, I will pick one more story for him.

A few Indian you see here on internet are just select few.

Most Indian are still away from reality and live a life without much promise. They live like tribe for them things such as river comes late in priority.

Most middle class are too busy trying to earn bread n butter for daily expenses. For them it's of no use either.

Religion itself is corrupt with superstition. It's creating more problem as people throw rubbish.

Rich industry throw waste in river.

Govt law n order is also not doing its duty.

Hope for Ganga is almost zero.

Oh yes. We have started the process. First phase is done. Our beloved PM has given a pose for photographs. In fact, he has given a pose with a jhaadu for media and for accomodating the cost of the publicity, imposed a Jhaadu Tax on the Indians.
Next phase is to build a foundation stone. That will be done in a year for another publicity stunt before election.
Next will be after the elections to show that they started the activity.
Then another one before election again.
This process will be continued for free publicity with peoples money.
And the story continues with the caption "Then there is progress........"
When my children ask me to tell them a never ending story, I will pick one more story for him.

The decision to shift the tanneries has already been made and being executed.

Shift Kanpur tanneries phase-wise: CM Yogi Adityanath
Rajiv Srivastava| TNN | Updated: Apr 3, 2017, 10.29 AM IST

57984241.jpg
TOI file photo of a tannery.
LUCKNOW: Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday directed officials to shift tanneries in a phased manner. In December 2016, UP government had replied to National Green Tribunal that relocating tanneries on the banks of Ganga at Kanpur to some other place was "next to impossible".

The CM was reviewing a meeting on the preparedness for Ardh Kumbh to be held in Allahabad in 2019. More than 12 crore pilgrims are expected to visit the Ardh Kumbh. To make Ganga pollution-free, the chief minister directed officials to ensure phase-wise shifting of leather industry units from Kannauj and Kanpur and to work on the lines of the Central government's 'Namami Gange' project. He stressed, it should be ensured at all costs that dirty and polluted water does not flow into the river.

The chief minister also pointed out how near Roorkee, Ganga water is routed to several canals thereby reducing water level. For farmers, irrigation was necessary, while in urban areas, potable water was a necessity, he said and added that ponds should be dug under the MNREGA and water conserved so that water level in Ganga doesn't go down. He stressed implementation of projects that prevent flowing of dirty water into the river and come up with solutions for waste disposal.
UP advocate general Vijay Bahadur Singh had on December 5, 2016 told a bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatantra Kumar that he had discussed the issue of tanneries with senior-most officials and had concluded there was no land available with the state government to shift them.

Currently, there are 404 tanneries in Kanpur, said Bulandshahar MLA Sanjay Sharma, who has been associated with Namami Gange project. He added that Banthar Leather Park was identified for relocation of, though not much was done by the previous governments.
"...Almost 3 lakh people depend on this business which is spread over 3,000 acres of land in Jajmau and possibility of shifting these units to Banthar leather park at Unnao is next to impossible as only 25% of them can be accommodated at the site," Singh had told the bench then. The chief minister on Saturday, however, also underlined that UP has a pivotal role in making the Namami Gange project a success. He also issued instructions for de-silting of rivers and said after this many rivers will be revived and there would be no scarcity of water.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...e-cm-yogi-adityanath/articleshow/57984084.cms

I know its strange for a turk since you are not into science that much, but actually i´m very interested in nature and the world.
Very interested in Nature or Nature Calls? Is it the reason why you are interested in this topic to check if you have a shit chance when you go back to your native place?
First try to build your Nature, then you can think of the Nature and the World.

The situation is indeed grim as others have already pointed out but i am going to point out a couple of additional facts. Gangetic dolphin is the national aquatic animal of India, till about a couple of decades back Ganges and the Brahmaputra were teeming with the majestic animals but it is rare now to catch a glimpse of them.

Hurried construction of projects in ecologically vulnerable areas without proper Environmental Impact Assessment has lead to widespread habitat destruction.

The exploitation of these animals are prohibited under the CITES(IUCN) and CMS(UNEP) but that didn't stop there illegal poaching and many of them get caught in the fishing nets inadvertently.
Untreated industrial effluents draining into Ganges are toxic and are directly responsible for their dwindling populations.

A SMALL price developing nations are willing to pay in return for economic growth??

What does our CHINESE friends think?

P. S: Can our Pakistani friends confirm the veracity of this article? Not even aquatic animals are safe these days, no disrespect to anyone though, just amazed!

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pak...hocking-claim-spreads-on-pakistani-interwebs/

Ganges is 2510km in length and has a basin area of 100 thousand square km. Enforcing pollution norms for the populated area along the river is a tough task. Population in the river basin on a conservative estimate will easily exceed 150 million ppl, thats twice the population of germany.

Back
Top Bottom