What's new

Qatar urges Arab fund for Gaza, offers $250 million

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

* Suggests Israel’s diplomatic boycott
* UK, Germany ‘shocked’ over humanitarian tragedy​

DOHA: Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani called on Thursday for Arab countries to create a fund for Gaza’s reconstruction following 20 days of relentless Israeli bombing of the Palestinian territory that has left much of it in ruins.

Sheikh Hamad pledged his country would contribute 250 million dollars to the fund. In an address shown on Qatari television overnight, he also called on Arab nations to reconsider their diplomatic ties with Israel in response to the Israeli attacks that so far have killed more than 1,000 people while a further 4,850 people have been wounded. Sheikh Hamad repeated his invitation for Arab countries to hold an extraordinary summit in Doha on Friday to discuss the Gaza onslaught, the fourth such plea since December 28.

Arab League Chief Amr Mussa confirmed upon his arrival in Kuwait late on Wednesday that the quorum of 15 to hold a summit in Doha has not been achieved. So far only 13 countries have agreed attend. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia on Wednesday organised an emergency summit of Gulf Arab leaders in Riyadh for Thursday, accentuating the rift between Arab countries, with some backing the democratically elected Hamas and others supporting the Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas.

Israel’s boycott: If the Doha summit goes ahead, Sheikh Hamad pledged to make a number of propositions to “stop the bloodshed” of Palestinians in Gaza. His ideas include “freezing the Arab peace initiative and the suspension of all forms of normalisation with Israel, including the reconsideration of diplomatic ties.” Sheikh Hamad also suggested the creation of a “maritime bridge” to transfer humanitarian aid to the battered territory. “We have not called a summit to prepare Arab armies for a war against Israel,” Sheikh Hamad said in his address. “We are not dreaming,” he added.

UK, Germany: The leaders of Britain and Germany expressed shock on Thursday at the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in Gaza and added their voices to calls for an immediate ceasefire. “We... are shocked by the humanitarian tragedy in Gaza,” British Prime Minister Gordon Brown told reporters following talks in Berlin with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. “The humanitarian situation is increasing the pressure” to push for a ceasefire, Merkel said. afp

we dont want funds we want Military action agains Israel and I WANT MY HOLYLAND BACK Jerselum and repay of 10000000+ Muslims life.

We'll Get it
Inshallah

Always Remember Prophet Muhammad ( P B U H ) Prophecy

F*ck them and f*ck their aid. (mind my language, I feel so bad for the Palestinians.)
250 million is nothing compared to the damage done to the people living in Gaza.
How easy is it to make multi-billion dollar deals for the Arabs with e.g. U.S. but they cannot give the Palestinians what they need?

Back
Top Bottom