What's new

Protests against loadshedding

Metallic

Reaction score
Massive protests in interior Sindh against loadshedding
PAKISTAN - 16 APRIL 2010

15-18 hours power outages severely affecting trade

SUKKUR: A huge protest rally was taken out here in Sukkur against prolonged loadshedding and water scarcity.

Political parties, including the JI, PML-N, Sunni Tehreek and local traders, took out the protest rally against power outages. Marching through different streets of the city, the rally terminated at Ghunta Ghar.

The protestors alleged that 14 to 16 hours of power breakdowns had multiplied the miseries of citizens. According to them, Sukkur is the largest business centre of Sindh after Karachi and Hyderabad, but due to the negligence of the authorities concerned, the city was braving losses of millions of rupees and traders were compelled to wind up their businesses.

They also alleged that 80 per cent of the population of district was deprived of drinking water while the streets remained inundated by sewage. Our Larkana correspondent adds: Hundreds of people from different areas on Thursday held demonstrations against prolonged and unscheduled power outages in their respective localities.

The protestors chanted slogans against the Hesco and blocked the road for about two hours by burning tyres. They accused the power utility of paralysing the city as the locals were neither able to perform their routine work during the day nor were able to sleep at night.

They criticised the federal minister for power for his false claims about ending loadshedding by December 2009. According to them, the situation has not only remained unchanged but in most cases deteriorated.

They said that 15 to 18 hours of power outages had severely affected trade and business activities and rendered thousands of people jobless. The worst affected were labourers and daily wage-earners, they said. They also warned that people would launch a mass protest movement across the country if the government failed to overcome the power shortage.

Source: The News International Pakistan

Violent protests against loadshedding in Jhelum, Dina
PAKISTAN - 17 APRIL 2010

JHELUM: Protesters set ablaze Rescue 15 and Fire Brigade offices on GT Road in Jhelum following clashes with police.

Residents of Dina, which is on the outskirts of Jhelum city, were protesting against unabated loadshedding in the city when police resorted to aerial firing and shelling to disperse angry mob.

Police also baton-charged the protestors that left several people injured.

Protestors also set ablaze two tractors and two motorbikes parked on the roadside and uprooted barriers fitted along footpath to protest against use of force by the police.

Local traders have announced to take out a protest rally tomorrow against police torture.

14389905.jpg

Source: DAWN media Group

Violent protests against loadshedding in Jhelum, Dina
PAKISTAN - 17 APRIL 2010

JHELUM: Protesters set ablaze Rescue 15 and Fire Brigade offices on GT Road in Jhelum following clashes with police.

Residents of Dina, which is on the outskirts of Jhelum city, were protesting against unabated loadshedding in the city when police resorted to aerial firing and shelling to disperse angry mob.

Police also baton-charged the protestors that left several people injured.

Protestors also set ablaze two tractors and two motorbikes parked on the roadside and uprooted barriers fitted along footpath to protest against use of force by the police.

Local traders have announced to take out a protest rally tomorrow against police torture.

14389905.jpg

tHIS IS OMETHING
Source: DAWN media Group

The parts in red is something i really can't undertsand. Why do protesters, in the sub-continent as a whole, destroy public and private property during their protests? It doesnt make any sense that they destroy something intended to benefit them. Like the fire bigade offices. Now they will complain when there is a fire and the fire force can't respond properly.

Democracy gives the people right to protest, but not to destroy public property. Police should be much striter in enforcing punishments on protesters.n

I think police should shoot to kill.

After 1 or 2 deaths, woh apne aap sahi ho jainge.

Because of these people, our whole country has to suffer worse than it already is. Half of these 'protesters' only leave their house so they can hit stuff with bats and burn stuff.

Because of these people, our whole country has to suffer worse than it already is. Half of these 'protesters' only leave their house so they can hit stuff with bats and burn stuff.

Jab aap jaisy samjhanay waly Buzurg Phalsiphi aur Dana Hakim, Mulik say Bahir Tashreef ka tokra rakhtay hoon, To In ko samhjanay wala koon reh giya hay???? Aur sirf Aik Duo ko Kuain marain, Saab ko Jala do. Bath khathum Na rahay gi awaam, na rahayga loadsheading Ka masala.

Its pathetic, and cowardly statement, that is well expected from you, when your sitting in the worlds most advance country, how the hell would you know the barrage of sufferings the millions of common men are passing through each day. You better stick your as.s in the Air conditioned rooms or otherwise your delicate skin and its beautiful completion might get dark. And remember Arm Chair Generals like you deserves the exact treatment that you have suggested for some.

I am strictly against any lawlessness and public property loss, and if any of the protesters do that, that should be dealt with according to the law. However having said that, I am very much in favor of protests in this case, and specially large scale protests, the ones which force to prove fruitful. Merely blocking the roads and burning tires wont bring any change. There should be long marches up till the parliaments and All the provincial assemblies. And all those who are sitting there should be arrested and kidnapped(all of them including opposition) by the people of this country. They should bring these Parliamentarians to their homes and treat them well. Just make them sit there with them, give them the normal food which a common man eats and let them enjoy the electricity shortfalls like ordinary people. And then let the bureaucracy to solve the problem, doesn't matter how long it takes, a day or a decade, but until it is solved, the parliamentarians, should and will remain as guests of the people of Pakistan.

If ever such an attempt is made i fully support and take part in it.

Trust me countrymen nothing will be given to you, until you learn to snatch it, even if you rightfully deserve it. Judiciary case is just one live example infront of you.

:pakistan:

Adios

well this is not a wise statement ...killing civilians who are demanding something which is their right may have a negative impact....

I've seen it first hand.

I was in Murree when Benazir was assassinated. That was the most crazy and violent scene that I have ever seen in my entire 18 year old life. Hundreds of people, just breaking everything in sight. Tires burning, businesses on fire, people fighting over absolutely nothing and there was so much blood.

We attempted to leave [which was the probably one of the worst risks my dad ever made] and were in a Honda Civic, so we attempted to leave and once we were heading down the mountain, we heard bullets flying at our car. LIKE WTF? WHAT DID WE DO TO ANYBODY? The door was hit by a bullet and so my dad just did some crazy car magic and we turned around and sped back to the hotel. Police were no where to be seen, and if we did see them, they were too afraid to do anything.

These people aren't protesters, they are just illiterates who don't know why they are going nuts.

They make matters worse for themselves and the people around them and THEN they expect everything to be better.

I stand by my statement.

I've seen it first hand.

I was in Murree when Benazir was assassinated. That was the most crazy and violent scene that I have ever seen in my entire 18 year old life. Hundreds of people, just breaking everything in sight. Tires burning, businesses on fire, people fighting over absolutely nothing and there was so much blood.

We attempted to leave [which was the probably one of the worst risks my dad ever made] and were in a Honda Civic, so we attempted to leave and once we were heading down the mountain, we heard bullets flying at our car. LIKE WTF? WHAT DID WE DO TO ANYBODY? The door was hit by a bullet and so my dad just did some crazy car magic and we turned around and sped back to the hotel. Police were no where to be seen, and if we did see them, they were too afraid to do anything.

These people aren't protesters, they are just illiterates who don't know why they are going nuts.

They make matters worse for themselves and the people around them and THEN they expect everything to be better.

I stand by my statement.

agree partially with you.

same kind of incident occured last year in jalandhar and surrounding area............train burnt, showrooms of cars destroyed , many hotels destroyed.............and what stopped them???...........a single bullet to clear the thing

well this is not a wise statement ...killing civilians who are demanding something which is their right may have a negative impact....

oh bhai..........when will the people of sub continent will learn that the poperty they are destroying is made from their tax payed money and will be repaired or rebuild from their pockets only.

I dont know how this protest will solve energy crises:hitwall:

I dunno about Pak, but in India a lot of 'protests' are rigged by politicians. They ask student reps in their party to organise a protest for something or the other, and to make the protest noteworthy, they ask them to ensure collateral damage.

If the police get some backbone and use force - rubber bullets, water cannons etc, not lethal force - then these protestors will think twice before destroying public property.

But on the bright side, in India these kind of protests have reduced. My dad used to tell me of how so many violent protests would take place during his college days. Nowadays kids are interested in studies and few are inclined to be puppets of political playmakers. Thank god for progress. Hopefully we will b able to weed out this culture of violent protests by providing more education and increasing awareness.

Yar 18 hrs is too much.
How can u survive in this Summer, with no electricity.

GoP must import power.

No Killing anyone is not tht simple .U asking to take a life tht is not going to do any good .We already are bleeding our beloveds are dying everyday coz of the terrorism so no more blood .yeah at the max pollice can use rubber bullets.they dont kill but they hurt so bad tht the effect is same like the real bullet.
or use water cannon tht is the best solution for stopping the protestors.

As far as the load shedding is concern Mangla and tarbela are closed due to low level of water .Whn the major source of the electricity is closed how can u expect government to cumup with a solution coz It takes years and years of planning to implements the project .

i have always been a staunch supporter of peaceful protests..but lets b honest..they have never given us anything..they arent even noticed by govt.
freekin talked about the events of benazirs assassination..many of us were not directly involved as supporters of ppp..such protests must b condemnd..but what about this load shedding??yesterday i read that PM has recieved "intelligence reports" that these protests may derail govt..ridiculous!!they arent ready to accept that it has anyhtng to do with the mess thay have created..n did u hear the statement of bashir bilour aftr the suicide attacks..instead of condemning the attacks he said load shedding ko apni siyasi dokan chamkane k lye istamal na karen..i wish i could punch that idiot..
u know how many man hours are getting wasted daily?for a month there were no significant protest..did any official statement come??now when ppl start protesting thay are chiding them instead of doing anything...this is pathetic..
obviously those whose property gets destroyed are naver paid by the govt..but the fact remains..yahan sharafat ke zuban agr samajh a jae to log insane nahe hongay!!:flame:

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom