What's new

Pokhran tests changed world's perception of India: DRDO chief

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: The Pokhran nuclear tests in May 1998 changed the world's perception ofIndia in
terms of technology capability,DRDO chief Avinash Chander said today.
Addressing DRDO fraternity on the occasion of National Technology Day here, he said India found
"new respect" because of the tests, while the country's scientists and engineers got their due
recognition. "In terms of capabilities we have never been less than anyone else in the world. What
we need is confidence in our own capabilities," Chander said.
Highlighting some key achievements he said that DRDO crossed the intercontinental barriers with
Agni V
, becoming one of the four nations in the world possessing a multi-level strategic deterrence
capability. Series of perfect launches of Bo5, the underwater launched strategic missile further
demonstrate DRDO's capability towards achieving the triad, Chander said.
Recollecting the struggles and challenges posed by more and more technology denials as the
impact of India achieving nuclear capabilities, he mentioned how ongoing interactions by western
countries were withheld, forcing India to indigenously develop the technologies.

Pokhran tests changed world's perception of India: DRDO chief - The Economic Times

Typical DRDO nonsense! The test didn't got us any respect at all, it just made India look as a 3rd world country, that is irresponsible with nuclear bombs. The view of India changed only with the responsible way the government reacted after 26/11 and the 123 pact, since only then the general perception changed and the world took India as a serious nation even at UNC level.
Wrt DRDO, lets be honest! Nobody thinks about their success in the balistic missile developments outside of India, while the constant failures in many other fields make Indian scientists actually look pretty bad.

Typical DRDO nonsense! The test didn't got us any respect at all, it just made India look as a 3rd world country, that is irresponsible with nuclear bombs. The view of India changed only with the responsible way the government reacted after 26/11 and the 123 pact, since only then the general perception changed and the world took India as a serious nation even at UNC level.
Wrt DRDO, lets be honest! Nobody thinks about their success in the balistic missile developments outside of India, while the constant failures in many other fields make Indian scientists actually look pretty bad.

You are only talking about it in academic circles or the proclaimed intellectual circles. What Dr. Chander would have seen is a perceivable change in dealing with him by peers from other countries.

"Orissa CM Biju Patnaik said: Kalam, I have decided to give Wheeler Island to DRDO but I will sign on the file only when you give me a promise. I have an invitation to visit China but I will go if ou promise to make a missile that will reach China"
If I was a scientist, I'd be pretty proud by the above. Same with Nuclear tests.

Instead of contradicting Dr. Chander, you must actually ask him to explain his statement.

You are only talking about it in academic circles or the proclaimed intellectual circles. What Dr. Chander would have seen is a perceivable change in dealing with him by peers from other countries.

Doubtful, because IF our scientist are taken seriously today in the world, than it's not for the nuclear bomb or our balistic missile program, let alone the achievements of DRDO, but our space program and the achivements of ISRO! People still think that India as a poor country and should not waste too much money on that, but at the same time they do admire what was achived with so limited rescources and in the scientific field by ISRO. So that is a field where we gained respect and that is a department that really had made a difference for India, while DRDO is still to prove that.

Back
Top Bottom