What's new

Pakistan to achieve GDP growth target of 5.1% this year: Dar

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD – Federal Minister for Finance and Economic Affairs Senator Ishaq Dar on Monday expressed the hope that Pakistan would achieve its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth target of 5.1 per cent for the year 2014-15 as all the major economic indicators were on positive trajectory.

Addressing a press conference here, the minister said that the due to prudent policies of the government; all targets would be achieved with margin. Giving details about the performance of last six months for major economic indicators, the minister said by December 31, 2014, the Pakistan’s forex reserves were over $15 billion including $6.9 billion with commercial banks whereas $10.3 billion with the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and with this Pakistan has now regained its status of member country for International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).

He said that the revenue collection during first six months of current year were remained at Rs 1162.4 billion as compared to Rs 1031.4 billion collected during same period of last year which was higher by 13 per cent despite reduction of oil prices. He said that due to massive decrease in petroleum prices the government has passed the benefit to the people by reducing the price of about Rs 26 to Rs 35 per liter during last 4 months.

“Due to the reduction of oil prices the revenue collection has decreased marginally and the government would have to bear loss of about Rs 68 billion in this regard,” the minister said adding the government has increased sales tax on petroleum products by 5 per cent to recover the losses and it is expected that by June 30 this year Rs 17.5 billion would be generated.

Regarding budget deficit, the he added that budget deficit for first six months of current financial year had been recorded at 2.4 per cent against the overall target of 4.9 per cent for the year 2014-15.He, however said that due to some challenges like settlement of the displaced persons, flood affected people and anti terrorism move, the government would have to face more expenses and the budget deficit may increase during next six months. The finance minister said that home remittances during first six months against same period of last year were increased by 15.25 from $7.79 billion to $8.987 billion.

Similarly, he said the exports from the Pakistan for the period July-December 2014-15 decreased by 4.3 per cent from $12.073 billion to $12.017 billion whereas the imports into the Pakistan increased by 11.68 per cent from $21.671 billion to $24.203 billion. Foreign Direct Investment, he said that increased by 19.29 per cent during the period July-November 2014-15 as the investment increased from $354.8 million during July-November 2013-14 to $422.8 million this year.

He said that the inflation in the Pakistan has now come down to just over 6 per cent while last year it was 8.9 per cent. On the performance of Large Scale Manufacturing (LSM) growth, the minister expressed his dissatisfaction as it remained only 2 per cent during the period July-October 2014-15 while it was 6.2 per cent during same period of last year. Dar said that he had already directed the secretary ministry of industries to take steps for the improvement of the growth.

He attributed the low growth of LSM to low production of Pakistan Steels Mills and delay in sugar crushing. Agriculture credit, he said increased from Rs 91 billion last year to Rs 128 billion this year thus showing increase of 40 per cent. He said that Karachi Stock Exchange index also witnessed an increase of 12 per cent from June 30, 2014 to January 9, 2015 as it went up from 29600 points to over 33000 points.

He said that the government's borrowing from the SBP also decreased by Rs 405 billion. To a question the minister also informed that the sixth review of International Monetary Fund (IMF) was going to be held in last week of current month probably in Dubai where the IMF would review the government's performance in major economic areas for release of next tranche. To another question, the minister said that Pakistan was fighting against terrorism with full commitment and it would not step back until the elimination of all terrorists from the Pakistan.

Pakistan to achieve GDP growth target of 5.1% this year: Dar

Pretty bad performance IMO. Pakistan has a potential for a lot more.
Aye, poor. But anything close to 5% is a good sign. Remember, growth values aren't static, they point towards trend. The best I expect from the Pakistan economy is to gradually increase it's growth, with sustainable levels year on year. If things go according to plan, huge 'IF'. We might see the return of the short lived 2003-2006 prosperity.

I have watched him live and he only said we will try our level best to reach around 5.1% growth.

I am expecting between 4.6%-4.8% this year

Did Pakistan release 2nd half 2014 GDP growth rate report?

Did Pakistan release 2nd half 2014 GDP growth rate report?

Not yet,were suppose to be released in the first week of jan but they are not released yet

I really really doubt we will achieve the 5.1% target though expecting it to be closer to 5%.it still is a improvement as the upward trend in the growth is a gradual process.

One has to remember that the issues that plague us will not go away so easily but with time
  • energy crisis has not let industry perform to maximum potential
  • Companies like PIA and Pakistan steel mills are draining funds instead of contributing to the tax base
  • Acute shortage of gas also has hampered industry
  • security issues have deterred foreign investors from investing in Pakistan
  • political melt down plagued the economy for a few months effecting investor confidence and industry both
  • IDP situation and floods have effected growth
Once one sees that some issues are being worked on, Gas, Energy, and security one sees a brighter future for Pakistan, but on the other hand corruption remains rampant and until that is stopped we will not see the money trickle down to alleviate the poverty levels in Pakistan.

If govt stays true to it's words then maybe we'll be able to achieve our potential.
If I remember correctly it was during Q1 of 2014 that Mr . Finance Minister said that growth trend will be kept increasing gradually as changes in such trend can not take place over night.
Target for 2015, 16 was 5 and 6% respectively.
He said by FY2017-18 we hope to have growth rate by 7.1%
Target for FY2013-1 was 4.4% but we only managed 3.5%
Hope things improve over time.

how is this country surviving; with imports double the size of export; is a mystery. You people need to work, make some damn thing and export it. I bought a measuring tape form Walmart to measure my windows so I can order the blinds, all was set ordered and received the product, when I tried to install it blinds were short 2 inches....the fcuking tape measure was made in china!!! if they can export such a crap why cant you!

how is this country surviving; with imports double the size of export; is a mystery. You people need to work, make some damn thing and export it. I bought a measuring tape form Walmart to measure my windows so I can order the blinds, all was set ordered and received the product, when I tried to install it blinds were short 2 inches....the fcuking tape measure was made in china!!! if they can export such a crap why cant you!

The funniest part is 98% of world's buttons are made in China. Can't understand why its hard for any country to make them

5.1% seems to be quite high but near to that will be a good achievement though keeping in mind the the current political and security situation.

The funniest part is 98% of world's buttons are made in China. Can't understand why its hard for any country to make them

half of the world don't need to make button to survive, 1/4 dont want to work for money they just want govt to something for them, and guess what Pakistan falls into that 1/4 group. This is the group where people live in the cold climate and still wear shalwar kameez and wear sandals in -5 degree temp, they havent figured out the under garments and socks yet. Thanks to that one intelligent person who showed them how to wrap a shawl otherwise half of these people would be dead by now. If we cant do $hit about our comfort what do we care if Americans need button.

Pakistan's exports are primarily commodities or items with low value add component. The exports are highly prone to international price effect. We don't have the human resource, the industrial base and the required capital for setting up high-tech industry. Plus the imports are also pretty sticky in nature. For example oil,food items and machinary are one of the major imports.

It is because the China is the global production hub. Why would a European or American would like to hire a worker demanding higher dollar pay than a worker in southern Chinese village who would be happy to work for food?

Pakistan's exports are primarily commodities or items with low value add component. The exports are highly prone to international price effect. We don't have the human resource, the industrial base and the required capital for setting up high-tech industry. Plus the imports are also pretty sticky in nature. For example oil,food items and machinary are one of the major imports.

Cell phone are a major import. If it were machinery we would see some industry setup in last one year, beside that import is something that will result in some export and we dont any major change in export in last 10 years. Pakistan is just a consumer of luxury products thanks to remittances that Pakistan is still standing.

With a major component of import bill (oil price) going down I was hoping for the imports to decrease but instead it showed a double digit increase. I mean that the hell are we importing?!

Back
Top Bottom