What's new

Pakistan sponsors clean drinking water projects in Sri Lanka

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD, Feb 3 (APP): The government of Pakistan through its High Commission in Colombo has funded the construction of two clean drinking water supply projects for the vulnerable communities in Kodapokuna village of Polonnaruwa District in northern central province of Sri Lanka. The High Commissioner of Pakistan in Sri Lanka major general (retd) Qasim Qureshi visited the village and handed over these projects in the presence of the community leaders.
Mrs Rashida Qureshi, spouse of the High Commissioner and Faizer Khan, Country Director Muslim Aid also accompanied the High Commissioner, says a press statement received here on Monday from the Pakistan High Commission in Colombo.
The Kodapokuna village is situated 50 km away from Polonnaruwa city, and is inhabited by 155 Tamil and 148 Muslim families. These families were displaced during the three decades long war and were resettled in this village.
The people in these villages, especially women had to walk long distances to carry water for drinking and bathing which created hardship for these remote village communities.
Realizing the difficulties faced by the resettled communities, the High Commission of Pakistan in Sri Lanka sponsored the construction of community wells to benefit over 300 families directly on daily basis.
The two projects were implemented with the assistance of Muslim Aid Sri Lanka, after undertaking vulnerability assessment for the provision of clean drinking water.
Last year, the Government of Pakistan sponsored six clean drinking water supply projects for the needy Sinhalese, Muslim and Tamil communities of Rotawewa, Awweinagar and Track 6 village of the Morawewa DS Division of Eastern province and Neerayipitty East and Kumarapuram villages in Mullaitivu district of the Northern Province of Sri Lanka.
The water supply projects underscores Pakistan’s commitment to achieve the Millennium Development Goals regarding provision of drinking water and basic sanitation by the year 2015.
These projects would add to various other projects from the Government and people of Pakistan being undertaken in health, education and livelihood sectors.
These projects includes construction of a school in Salam Baikulam in Vavuniya town of the northern province, district hospital Akurana, construction of a 3-storey state of the art school in Gampaha, equipping science laboratories in schools, revival of handloom sector in Mirigama to strengthening this cottage industry and providing self-employment, 30 computer centers and six stitching centers, providing ambulances to hospitals, annual awards of Jinnah scholarships as well as Higher Education scholarships for study of medicine, engineering, dentistry and pharmacy in Pakistan.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency )

Wonder when they will help villages in Pakistan too! Anyway, good work!

Anybody see the irony comparing the post above with this post below?

90% of Pakistanis use water without boiling, filtering or otherwise treating it. Mobile phones and TVs are among the most widely owned appliances in Pakistani homes more so than refrigerators.

In urban areas 17% have internet access. In rural areas 1.3%. Overall around 7%.

Source of the above: http://measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/FR290/FR290.pdf
Also featured on ET: 87% of Pakistani households own cellphones, only 6.8% have internet connection: survey – The Express Tribune

And of course the mobile phone distributors will tell you that 80-85% of the phones sold here are feature phones costing 2-3k.

Pakistan would be better off if we had an Internet boom rather than just a mobile phone boom. Maybe after the 3G rollout whenever that happens

Anybody see the irony comparing the post above with this post below?

Not really. 93% receive water from an "improved source" i.e. mainly piped water, public tap, tube well or bore hole. 90% use that water as is without treating it further ( I guess I should add this to my thread)

Anyway just because we have these problems doesn't mean we should stop spending on other things like foreign assistance.

Not really. 93% receive water from an "improved source" i.e. mainly piped water, public tap, tube well or bore hole. 90% use that water as is without treating it further ( I guess I should add this to my thread)

Anyway just because we have these problems doesn't mean we should stop spending on other things like foreign assistance.

Would you like to guess what percentage of such "improved sources" is contaminated to the point of being unfit to drink?

Would you like to guess what percentage of such "improved sources" is contaminated to the point of being unfit to drink?

Hey we have a growing population so it can't be too bad, right :) ?

Yeah, I though more people, at least in urban areas, boiled their drinking water.

In murica'...water taste like chlorine because it comes from treated plants...at first, you go like "Wtf is this?" ..but then, you get used to it :lol:

As long as it is healthy...everything is good.

Your body is made of cells..and cells have like 70% water...without which they can't work...so clean drinking water is very important for populations.

Hey we have a growing population so it can't be too bad, right :) ?

Yeah, I though more people, at least in urban areas, boiled their drinking water.

But the irony is that we are aiding others to get clean water while our own people go without.

Back
Top Bottom