What's new

Pakistan rice exports jumps

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan rice exports jumps

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s rice exports jumped 50 percent to 4.5 million tonnes in the year till June, after a strategy to keep prices low helped raise demand in African and Gulf countries, a top industry official said on Monday. The lack of government intervention in the rice business and a continuing Indian ban on the export of non-basmati rice also contributed to rise in Pakistan’s exports, which totaled 3 million tonnes in the 2008-09 (July-June) financial year, traders say.

“Our rice exports this year have been exceptionally good. By the end of June, our exports will touch the 4.5 million tonnes mark,” the chairman of the private Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan, Malik Mohammad Jehangir, told Reuters. “We had a new strategy to keep our prices lower by $10-12 a tonne as compared to others to increase volume and that worked,” said Jehangir whose organisation handles the bulk of the rice exports. According to the official statistics bureau, Pakistan exported 3.65 million tonnes of all types of rice in the first 10 months of the year to April, more than 66 percent increase over rice exports in the same period last year. Out of the total exports, Pakistan exported about 800,000 tonnes of basmati rice through April, compared with more than 774,119 tonnes over the same period last year. Exports of non-basmati rice rose more than 100 percent to 2.86 million tonnes in the same period. Official export figures for May are not available.

South Africa, Saudi Arabia and Dubai were the main buyers, while Pakistan was also able to sell more rice this year to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, Jehangir said. Thailand and Vietnam were Pakistan’s main rivals in the non-basmati category as India forbids the export of most varieties of rice to help tame high domestic food inflation. Pakistan and India compete in the export of basmati rice.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

why export?

Rice cost per KG is 80rs.

it is too much expensive and this is all because of the export..

in india basmati rice per Kg cost i think 21rs.

a balance, i assume, is in effect to export surplus production and meet domestic demand --which will only be exacerbated if we dont do something about controlling population growth which is too high and unsustainable.....we dont want another crisis do we; the sugar one was bad enough.

idar loog bhookay mar rahay hain khanay ko hay nahe itna expension aur bahir bheja ja raha hey sab kuch... laanti hukmaraan aur najayeez munafa khoor!

why export?

Rice cost per KG is 80rs.

it is too much expensive and this is all because of the export..

in india basmati rice per Kg cost i think 21rs.

no...its Rs 50 per/kg(mid quality)...yesterday i bought it

:O

so expensive then i think.

becuase highest quality is 80rs per KG
max 90rs/kg..

and INR is almost double to PKR.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom