What's new

Pakistan religious school students vulnerable to radicalisation

somnath

Reaction score
Country
India
Pakistan's religious seminaries, or madrasahs, are frequently blamed for nurturing violent extremism. While most do not have firm links to militant groups, experts believe the schools' narrow focus could make their students vulnerable to radicalisation.

pakistan-religious-school.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's religious seminaries, or madrasahs, are frequently blamed for nurturing violent extremism.
While most do not have firm links to militant groups, experts believe the schools' narrow focus could make their students vulnerable to radicalisation.

Most of such seminaries are accused of breeding terrorists.

Some have even publicly prided themselves on producing graduates who have led various militant factions in the region.

But a large number of these institutes have no proven links with militant outfits.

Many simply focus on religious education, hoping to churn out religious scholars.

Khurshid Nadeem, a religious scholar, said: "Basic education should have been the same for everyone in Pakistan. And then, just like some people want to become doctors or engineers, people could also have chosen to become religious scholars."

But some argue that madrasahs which only focus on religion breed a narrow-mindedness that could in turn be a source of radicalisation.

Students know very little about the workings of the world. Many simply absorb the world views of their teachers.

Some students are also allegedly treated brutally by their teachers.

Civil society organisations are working with religious seminaries to help improve conditions.

However, their efforts are sometimes undermined by the very institutions they are trying to help.

Sameena Imtiaz, executive director of PEAD Foundation, said: "Certain madrasahs, under reforms in the past, introduced modern education. For example, they started teaching mathematics, English or science.

“What I personally witnessed in these madrasahs was that these books were provided… but they were kept under lock and key. So, no child had access to these books."

The majority of madrasahs in Pakistan do not fall under government control.

But the government is trying to change that by bringing all of them under the national education system, in a bid to combat religious extremism.

The hope is that with a broader scope of subjects taught, students will have a broader mindset, and hence be less susceptible to radicalisation.

Pakistan religious school students vulnerable to radicalisation - Channel NewsAsia

Any institution that does not cherish opposing thoughts and opinions is bound to slide into radicalism. Madrassah is not the problem, neither is religious education. The problem arises when someone says - This is what God says and you have no right to question my interpretation.

This is relevant for India as well - because we have more of these, if I am not wrong.

Any institution that does not cherish opposing thoughts and opinions is bound to slide into radicalism. Madrassah is not the problem, neither is religious education. The problem arises when someone says - This is what God says and you have no right to question my interpretation.

This is relevant for India as well - because we have more of these, if I am not wrong.

Let Pakistan have it if they want to have them but they should be banned in India. If they want to learn about their religion they should learn about it at home.

especially when no one is there to check his interpretation.....

@SarthakGanguly , you said it so right. I have earlier thought about introducing a subject human studies in Pakistan's schools here The Need For A New Subject ‘Human Studies’ In Pakistan’s Schools. | ahsanamin2999
May be some moderate clergy people can introduce a subject that talks about good conduct of our prophet towards others, good ethics, kindness, tolerance and forgiveness that can teach the religious students that even within the realm of our religion, outright hostility to other religions, and militancy towards innocent people of any religion or creed is wrong.

Let Pakistan have it if they want to have them but they should be banned in India. If they want to learn about their religion they should learn about it at home.
I don't like enforced Religious education. I oppose it as a compulsory subject. Anyone willing to learn is their matter. Religion is best kept personal. But that's just me.

@SarthakGanguly , you said it so right. I have earlier thought about introducing a subject human studies in Pakistan's schools here The Need For A New Subject ‘Human Studies’ In Pakistan’s Schools. | ahsanamin2999
May be some moderate clergy people can introduce a subject that talks about good conduct of our prophet towards others, good ethics, kindness, tolerance and forgiveness that can teach the religious students that even within the realm of our religion, outright hostility to other religions, and militancy towards innocent people of any religion or creed is wrong.
You got a nice blog there :tup:

If Pakistan had focused on Science camps instead of terrorist camps it would have become the Japan of Asia. It's not too late even now. Islam (discipline not dogma) + Education (Science) can do wonders for Pakistan.

If Pakistan had focused on Science camps instead of terrorist camps it would have become the Japan of Asia. It's not too late even now. Islam (discipline not dogma) + Education (Science) can do wonders for Pakistan.

There can be only one japan in Asia. . you should say Japan of south asia :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Is that application just for Indian Muslims, what you suggest for Christians, Buddhists and others who practice their religion outside their households. !!

terror factories creating most ignorant and barbaric humans ever called madrasas

These stupid maulvis in the madarassas are brainwashing kids.

Even pundits do the same,diff being no hindu/sikh/jain/buddhist goes to a religious school.

Bhindranwale,the founder of the khalistani movement was the head of a religious school,damdami taksal.

All such people are nut jobs

Is that application just for Indian Muslims, what you suggest for Christians, Buddhists and others who practice their religion outside their households. !!

The point here is religious schools like madarassas.

Rest,do what pleases u.
Its a free country:D

madrasa products in market

some people may don't know but current TTP chief is also graduate from madrasa

527b9d4f1435d.jpg

these flags yyou can see on every madrasa
afghanistan-026.jpg

they are death of USA but in friendly fire they killed 70000+ pakistanis

0,,16256557_404,00.jpg

Back
Top Bottom