What's new

Pakistan Railways privatization opposed

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Karachi—Representatives of Pakistan Railways (PR)’s major unions addressing at a seminar on ‘Pakistan Railways: Problems, Planning & Strategy’ opposed its privatization & demanded restructuring of the management by inducting professional managers, providing funds for repairs & purchase of locomotive & making railway profitable through transportation of cargo in the country. Planning Commission and Pakistan Institute of Labor & Research (PILER) jointly organized the consultation session here.

Trade union leaders reiterating that PR, that provided service to millions of people & employed hundreds of thousands, termed the political interference in PR affairs, lack of accountability & uncontrolled corruption by bureaucracy as major factors of the its failure. Maintaining that new legislation should to be made according to ILO conventions they said that the act enacted in 1890 needed revision through parliament. They demanded that Trade Unions should be given representation at the board and management levels. Suggesting writing off all the loans & interest against PR & appointment of professionals, they informed that the companies who were handed over the Business Train and Shalimar Express defaulted. Trade unionists further pointed out that PR had acquired workshops/other facilities - as well as trained manpower - for manufacturing/overhauling of engines, (making coaches, sleepers & tracks) which should be utilized.

Senior economist Dr. Kaiser Bengali said that PR needed to focus on provision of facilities to common people. Holding that its privatization would be quite different from the privatization of other state owned organizations, he said application of Chinese model of creating a competition. Maintaining that track and other facilities should be owned by the state, Kaiser Bengali suggested that private sector might be allowed to run their own trains besides PR’s. Executive Director PILER Karamat Ali stressed on safeguarding the interest of workers and passengers in future planning. Tanveer Hussain Bukhari from Planning Commission and Amer Zafar Durrani from World Bank also spoke on the occasion.

Pakistan Railways privatization opposed

These things are belong to the public resources, so the privatization will be a bad idea.

Do you think the water and air could be privatized as well?

These things are belong to the public resources, so the privatization will be a bad idea.

Do you think the water and air could be privatized as well?

People in Pakistan are sick and tired of federal government because of corruption and the inability to run the state as a whole. So i think who ever is looking for privatization is desperate to attempt to improve conditions...

well i guess privateisation of transportation is definitey good if u wanna increase the quality and make things faster. just an example when delhi airport was under goi it was out of top 100 not it is ranked 2nd best in world. so privatisation does help in increasing standards and making things efficient but also increases competition and prices.

People in Pakistan are sick and tired of federal government because of corruption and the inability to run the state as a whole. So i think who ever is looking for privatization is desperate to attempt to improve conditions...

I know, but the privatization won't make it better, the greedy corporation will put the profit before people's safety.

well i guess privateisation of transportation is definitey good if u wanna increase the quality and make things faster. just an example when delhi airport was under goi it was out of top 100 not it is ranked 2nd best in world. so privatisation does help in increasing standards and making things efficient but also increases competition and prices.

That is the problem.
I agree with Chinese Tiger. The corporations will eat people up. This is sort of like a pure Capitalistic system...

Can't they have both government run and private?? It will create some competition and might even force the transportation department to rethink the whole system.

That is the problem.
I agree with Chinese Tiger. The corporations will eat people up. This is sort of like a pure Capitalistic system...

capitalism is when govt allows the companies to control the prices but in india whenever the airports make more profit than required govt immediately taxes them, so they cant rip off the ppl. india is not pure capitalism.

Can't they have both government run and private?? It will create some competition and might even force the transportation department to rethink the whole system.

umm. yeah i think that works well...
Its sort of what the Canadian government has done. We have something here called "Crown Corporation"

Some example:
- Via Rail Canada
- Hydro One
- Ontario Power Generation
- Canadian Broadcast Corporation (CBC)
- Canada Post
etc...

other than health and education govt has to privitze everything or we willl move toward disater.
the railway should act more as a regulatory authority allowing private trains to run on it..just by giving three private companies a few railway engines we have made up the collasal loses railway was facing.

We should privatise railway, pia, steel mill and many other govt dept. so we can save money, better service delivery and more focus

Any income saved from losses and any revenue generated from future operations from private sectors than should be spend for public welfare

We Are Spending Hundreds of Billions Of Rupees Subsidising These White Elephants(Pakistan Steel,Railways.This Money Can Be Saved If They Are Privatised or At Least Put Under Professional Management.

Making Railways pure private is a problem
As in South Asia Railways are a necessity
In Europe and US railways are mainly used as a leisure

But Public-private partnership could do wonders
Expressways in India , New Airports , Infra projects like the Bandra Worli Sealink

Back
Top Bottom