What's new

Pakistan puts $12.6bn, 4.5 GW hydro project out to tender

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

31 May 2009 - Pakistan has invited international bids for the construction of Diamer Bhasha hydroelectric dam project.

The hydro-electric dam will be built at a cost of $12.6bn. Upon completion the dam will add 4500 MW of hydro-power to the national grid and will take seven to eight years to go into operation.

The NEC (National Economic Council) has approved $1.5bn toward the construction of the dam.

The power generated from the project will add 30 per cent to Pakistan's current available generation capacity and has the potential to significantly reduce thermal power reliance and average generation cost.

The project is said to be located in a mountainous, earthquake-prone area.

Wow, talking about huge projects, I hope this starts off as soon as possible.

$12.6bn :woot: for a dam? To put things in perspective The Burj Dubai was $4.1bn

Well it would seem to require extra work due to it being in a earthquake zone.

$12.6bn :woot: for a dam? To put things in perspective The Burj Dubai was $4.1bn

well you can't compare these two projects, One is a dam while other is a Building/ Sky-scraper

The $12.6 billion not only includes the money involved in the construction of a dam but also the rehabilitation program for 28,000 peoples who will have to left their houses and inhabit in some other area just like what happened during the Tarbela and Mangla dam.

I think the Dam construction amount is somewhere near 8 Billion dollars and the remaining is projected to be spent on the rehabilitation of the peoples.

My opinion only, could be wrong

well you can't compare these two projects, One is a dam while other is a Building/ Sky-scraper

The $12.6 billion not only includes the money involved in the construction of a dam but also the rehabilitation program for 28,000 peoples who will have to left their houses and inhabit in some other area just like what happened during the Tarbela and Mangla dam.

I think the Dam construction amount is somewhere near 8 Billion dollars and the remaining is projected to be spent on the rehabilitation of the peoples.

My opinion only, could be wrong

4.6 billion divided by 28000 = $ 164 000 per person... Wow

where is the water to run this so called dam? from past experiences we should not rely heavily on water.. or so I say ..

Back
Top Bottom