Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan, China ink deal to develop long-range radar

Associated Press

Islamabad, November 24, 2006|11:58 IST

Pakistan and China have agreed to jointly develop long-range radar equipped early warning aircraft, the Pakistan Air Force said on Friday in a statement.The announcement came during a visit to the country by Chinese President Hu Jintao in which the two allies are expected to discuss expanding ties in the defense, nuclear, economic and trade sectors.

The Pakistan Air Force and Chinese Aviation Industries agreed "for long term collaboration and co-development in the fields of aircraft manufacturing and other related fields including AWACS," the PAF said.

It said a Memorandum of Understanding was signed in Islamabad between the PAF and the Chinese Aviation Company, CETC, for the improvement and further development of Chinese Airborne Early Warning System.

"The same may be delivered to Pakistan in coming years," the statement said.

www.hindustantimes.com/news/7598_1851599,000500020000.htm

Great indeed, so atlast pakistan has learned not rely on US anymore, Pretty good news, So good luck both nations. It will take quite abit of time Jana, they have to develope it according to their own requirments. Plus Pakistan's future is in chinese aviation industry, later to develope their own.

Right now PAF is having a bit of trouble to link J-10's with Eireye, so may be....may be they are opting to develope their own.

Thats Great news. now we will see an upgraded copy of Eireye in near future.:D

Thats Great news. now we will see an upgraded copy of Eireye in near future.:D
Does the Erieye come with a ToT? That would make it possible to upgrade it further if such a thing is possible.

Does the Erieye come with a ToT? That would make it possible to upgrade it further if such a thing is possible.

nope. but chinese are expert in reverse Engineering. they may develope some thing better than Eireye.:)

No Erieye doesnt comes with TOT.
Its not worth paying billions for 7 awacs to have TOT.

also noone gives TOT for AWACS.
Its great news for Pakistan, but hopefully they will follow a diff pattern then erieye.

Erieye has its drawbacks using phased planar array Radar.

Owais your right, It might not have better jamming capabilities as Erieye as Erricssion is a old skool player in electronics, but it can certainly use a diff approach and provide full 60 degree tracking coverage which erieye dont.

gr8 news now we will develop our own awacs and india will have to buy to fulfill its needs...

Iceman whats tickling in your nose?
Its these type of statements that starts flame wars.

Its indeed great news for Pakistan and India is building its own AWACS as well.
It has already a prototype working AESA with 500 TR modules.

Its presently halted on the flatform which IAF is yet to choose to integrate, it wants a superior flatform.

Seems like that Y-8 AEW&C that came to Chakala didn't impress PAF to buy it, neither was it able to fulfill PAF requirements even after customizing it for PAF needs, so they took a nice approach by actually going for a joint program which will continue to help our aviation industry. Seems like that theory of making things our own is working, and our defence industry will continue to grow like that, while we are having peace with the gift that A Q Khan gave it us.

God bless Pakistan, and A Q Khan.

No offence or any thing brother as you Respect A Q KHAN i do too ..but I dont think its goood to credit him alone for all the work evey scientist and engineer have done in Pakistan from the start of our Nuclear program till we become a Nuclear power ... We should be thankfull to all ..and to all those who we dont even knw ...A Q KHAN have done a lot but still some major steps are done by some other People ...You should consider all NEXT time i think my friend.... as for AWACS news its really great acheivement for both countries I cant wait too see that piece in pakistani colours ....GOD BLESS PAKISTAN

Dear I am not taking away credit from A Q Khan, instead i am just give it to him, after all what he has done to our country, if he hadn't we, wouldn't have any nuclear weapons, and would have continuely threatened by India, and we would have no peace.

Well to the topic.

Airborne Warning & Control System (AWACS)

At least one Chinese indigenous airborne warning and control system (AWACS) aircraft (KJ-2000?) was spotted undergoing tests in Nanjing in 2003. The aircraft, which is based on a Russian-made A-50 airframe, carries a phased array radar (PAR) system designed and developed by Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology (also known as 14th Institute). The existence of such a project represents China’s latest effort to acquire airborne early earning capability, which it has been actively seeking for over a decade.

PROGRAMME

By 1992, China had begun talks with Russia about purchasing the Beriev A-50 (NATO codename: Mainstay) plane, the AWACS variant of the Ilyushin IL-76 military transport aircraft. Later, talks involved acquisition of an Israeli radar system. Three-way negotiations that began in 1994 considered four AEW aircraft for $1 billion. In 1996 China, Russia, and Israel reached initial agreement on a $250 million deal to supply one AEW aircraft to the PLAAF by installing an Israeli Aircraft Industries (IAI) Phalcon phased-array radar with 360 degree coverage on a A-50 plane.

In May 1997, Israel and Russia reached agreement on modifying one IL-76, as a Beriev A-50I, for $250 million, with the option of three more AWACS for a total cost of $1 billion. Russia secured about 20 percent of the deal. After some delay, in October 1999, Russia transferred an A-50 airframe to Israel for the installation of the Phalcon AEW radar system by IAI. By May 2000, Israel had nearly completed work on the aircraft.

The Phalcon deal became an increasingly controversial issue between the United States and Israel. In 2000, the Clinton Administration voiced stronger objections to the sale and urged Israel to cancel the sale of the Phalcon, saying it is a system comparable to the U.S. AWACS and could collect intelligence and guide aircraft from 250 miles away. Finally, in July 2000 the Israeli government cancelled the deal with China.

Following the humiliation of the cancelled A-50I/Phalcon deal, China turned to indigenous solutions. The Phalcon radar and other electronic systems were taken off from the unfinished A-50I, and the airframe was handed to China via Russia in 2002. Modifications on the A-50I airframe began in late 2002 to install the Chinese-made airborne radar system at Xi’an Aircraft Industry Co. (XAC). The aircraft made its first flight in November 2003, and was reportedly rename as Kongjing-2000 (KJ-2000).

Unconfirmed reports claimed that so far two KJ-2000s (one based on A-50I, one converted from a PLAAF/CUA IL-76) have been delivered to the PLAAF for operational evaluation and tests. A total of four aircraft may eventually be built, either on new A-50s purchased from Russia, or directly converted locally from the existing IL-76s in service with the PLAAF.

DESIGN

The detailed information regarding the new Chinese AWACS is unknown. However, it is estimated that the aircraft is comparable to the Russian A-50 in general flight performance.

The Chinese AWACS is based on the airframe of the Russian A-50 AWACS aircraft, which was developed and manufactured by the Beriev Aircraft Research and Engineering Complex Joint Stock Company based at Taganrog in the Rostov Region of Russia. The A-50’s airframe was developed from the llyushin IL-76MD military transport aircraft manufactured by the Ilyushin Aviation Complex Joint Stock Company based in Moscow. The most distinctive difference on the A-50 airframe is the removal of the 'glass-in' nose of the IL-76MD.

The A-50 carries out patrol missions at an altitude of 5,000m to 10,000m. The patrol service ceiling is 10,000m. The maximum flight range of the aircraft is 5,000km and the flight endurance is 7 hours 40 minutes. At a range of 2,000m, the A-50 can remain on patrol for up to 1 hour 25 minutes. The Chinese A-50 airframe also has a fixed in-flight refuelling probe, which could be refuelled by the IL-78 Midas tanker. This will significantly increase the range and flight endurance of the aircraft.

AIRBORNE EARLY WARNING RADAR

The Chinese AWACS has a unique phased array radar (PAR) carried in a round radome. Unlike the U.S. AWACS aircraft, which rotate their rotodomes to give a 360 degree coverage, the radar antenna of the Chinese AWACS does not rotate. Instead, three PAR antenna modules are placed in a triangular configuration inside the round radome to provide a 360 degree coverage.

The Chinese-made airborne earning warning radar system could be similar in capability to the IAI Phalcon, but may not be as capable as the latter. The Phalcon system could track up to 60~100 targets at the same time and guide a dozen fighters in all-weather, day and night operations.

The photos of the KJ-2000 indicate that the aircraft has an aerial refuelling probe in its nose. If the aircraft can be refuelled by the Russian-made IL-78 Midas tanker, its flight endurance and effectiveness could be further increased.

Right now PAF is having a bit of trouble to link J-10's with Eireye, so may be....may be they are opting to develope their own.
Mel,

I'm unaware of this problem, could you please elaborate what problems you're erferring to?
PAF doesn't have an Erieye nor J-10. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom