What's new

Pakistan and India agree to install telemetry system

Frankenstein

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Ahmad Fraz Khan
Thursday, 22 Jul, 2010

LAHORE: Pakistan and India agreed in principle on Thursday to put in place a telemetry system on the Indus to record and transfer real-time data for the benefit of both countries.

The agreement was reached between Indus water commissioners of the two countries on the first day of their two-day meeting after the Indians “conceded to the utility” of the telemetry system in removing the confusion over water flow.

However, the visiting delegates maintained that they had to take Indian states (provinces) on board because they controlled water flows and would be providing space for installation of the equipment. The funds needed for installation and running the system was also a matter that would be decided in consultation with the states.

At a media briefing with his Pakistani counterpart Syed Jamaat Ali Shah, Indian Commissioner Aranga Nathan confirmed that the agreement had been reached and promised to take up the matter with the governments of different Indian states where the system could be installed.

According to insiders, both sides also agreed to jointly inspect the flood embankment of River Ravi.

India built a number of embankments on Ravi in the year 2001 and Pakistan has since been asking it for permission to inspect them.

Instead of agreeing to inspection, India alleged that Pakistan had also built such structures and sought to inspect them.

The dates for joint inspection would be decided through correspondence.

The third issue that came under discussion was about pollution of rivers on both sides, especially in lower riparian Pakistan.

The two commissioners agreed that as trustees of waters they must also start talks about the pollution.

Pakistan raised the issue of India’s Hadiyara drain that flows near Lahore and brings the industrial waste to Pakistan and pollutes Ravi. The issue of Baramulla waste polluting Jhelum river was also brought to the notice of the Indian side.

The Indian officials said that Pakistan’s Kasur drain was causing the same damage on their side. The two sides agreed to look into each other’s complaints and suggest remedial measures.

Pakistani officials told the visitors that India had not yet responded to technical concerns over different projects which India was building on Pakistani rivers.

The Indian side said it would be sending its response to Pakistani objections on the Nimo Bazgo Dam “within days”.

Pakistan is of the view that Nimo Bazgo Dam and Chutak Power Plant on Indus River would block over 35,000 cusecs and badly hit the river hydrology.

The Indian side agreed to quicken the process

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Pakistan and India agree to install telemetry system

Last edited:
All water issues can be resolved: India

Indus-River-kashmir-express-448x244-640x480.jpg

The Indian Indus Water Treaty commissioner said that all issues can be resolved

LAHORE: India’s Indus Water Treaty Commissioner Aranga Nathan said on Friday that all pending water issues with Pakistan can be resolved.
After concluding the second round of talks in Lahore, the Indian commissioner, in an effort to dispel negative impressions said that the talks were held in an amicable atmosphere.
Pakistani commissioner Jamaat Ali Shah said a Pakistani delegation will leave for New Delhi next month to undertake inspection of Indian rivers. He also called for refining the role of the Indus Water Commission.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/30353/all-water-issues-can-be-resolved-india/

Both will have to compromise on each and every issue...
We cant handover the hatred to our coming generations...

Water Issue was one of the biggest Issue, I hope it comes into an end sooner, so its like one down two more to go :lol:

Both will have to compromise on each and every issue...
We cant handover the hatred to our coming generations...

Why not? we inherited this hatred from our ancestors.

As long as there are hard core fundamental elements on both sides, this mutual hatred is going to exist.

It would be better if we decide to "tolerate" each other instead of achieving for some Utopian ideals where Indian and Pakistanis coexist as brothers.

"Addressing another gathering at the same venue, the president said Pakistan had hired an international firm to work as an arbitrator to resolve differences with India on the sharing of river waters.

Since India had not come up with a viable solution to the water issue, Pakistan opted for international arbitration, he said.

"The first time I met (Indian Prime Minister) Manmohan Singh, the first thing I spoke to him about was water. I am talking about the time almost two years ago, when I had just become president and I was at a UN programme where I met Manmohan Singh," he told the gathering.

"When (Singh) met me again, he said if there is a dispute on water, then you can go to the World Bank, you can go to the adjudicating authorities with your problem and we will not mind that," he said.

Zardari said he had then consulted the water and power ministry and the federal government and Pakistan hired an international firm as an arbitrator to negotiate with the World Bank and the Indian government on the water problem."

India, Pak should demilitarise Siachen: Asif Ali Zardari - India - The Times of India

Water Issue was one of the biggest Issue, I hope it comes into an end sooner, so its like one down two more to go :lol:

IMHO Water and securing of Water sources are the biggest issues of Pakistan and thats precisely why they have so much iterest in Kashmir

About time Pak and India aggredd on something. :D :D
A peaceful step is a good step :pakistan: :india:

Now that they have aggreed on something, its

:cheers:

(btw how do i make Indian flag??)

About time Pak and India aggredd on something. :D :D
A peaceful step is a good step :pakistan: :india:

Now that they have aggreed on something, its

:cheers:

(btw how do i make Indian flag??)

you cant ...............you need paste url of image from other site

Latest posts