Pair of Supermassive Black Holes Spotted

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Pair of Supermassive Black Holes Spotted
XMM-Newton_SMBHB_orig.jpg

newly discovered binary supermassive black hole -- by an international team led by Fukun Liu of Peking University -- is not in an active galaxy, but rather, an “ordinary” one. A first of its kind.
Whole populations of quiescent galaxies could be hosting binary black holes in their center, according to study coauthor Stefanie Komossa from Max-Planck-Institut für Radioastronomie. But finding them is difficult since quiescent galaxies have no gas clouds to continuously feed black holes -- which leaves these galaxies’ cores dark. Instead, black holes in quiescent galaxies are fed by “tidal disruption events” that occur sporadically. That’s when the gravity of a black hole rips a star to pieces, giving out a flare of X-rays.
The European Space Agency's X-ray Multi-Mirror Mission, XMM-Newton, was surveying the sky in a random pattern when, on 10 June 2010, it observed a tidal disruption event in the galaxy SDSS J120136.02+300305.5. Days later, the galaxy was still spilling X-rays into space.
Then something weird happened: The X-rays fell below detectable levels between days 27 and 48 after the discovery. But then they reappeared and continued to follow a more expected fading rate -- as if nothing had happened. "This is exactly what you would expect from a pair of supermassive black holes orbiting one another," Liu explains in a news release.
Liu’s models of black hole binary systems predicted a sudden plunge to darkness, followed by a recovery. The gravity of one black hole can temporarily deprive the other of its fuel to fire X-ray flares.
He calculated two possible configurations: one with an elliptical orbit, the other with a circular one. In both cases, the black holes were only separated by 0.6 milliparsecs, or about 2 thousandths of a light year. (This is about the width of the Milky Way.) Being this close means they’ll eventually spiral together, and in about two million years, they’ll merge into a single black hole.
Binary supermassive black holes can tell astronomers about how galaxies evolved into their present-day shapes and sizes. “The final merger is expected to be the strongest source of gravitational waves in the Universe," Liu says. Here, X-ray slew tracks recorded by XMM-Newton from over 1200 individuals recorded between 2001 and 2012.
XMM-Newton_X-ray_slew_tracks_orig1.jpg

@Dem!god @Sidak @chak de INDIA @Indischer @DRAY @thesolar65
@OrionHunter

Last edited:
we Indians have no fear of black holes bcoz we have lived under congress rule for 60 years since independence.
on the topic great news..

Asan si bhasha mein summary please? :D
Errr
2 big black holes ...or 2 big vacuum cleaners which can suck in objects as large as sun are found to exist in pairs,which is supposed to be an incredible news.And these 2 vacuum cleaners will soon merge into one...soon here would mean another 2 million years. :D
Didnt know you like reading science articles or else I would have mentioned you here. :-)

Off topic:
Did you hear the news about the 500th patient from Pakistan treated in India???
And it was a 2yr old kid this time. :)

we Indians have no fear of black holes bcoz we have lived under congress rule for 60 years since independence.
on the topic great news..
Hehehe even if a black hole was to pull earth in,it'll take another million years or so.
But I fear if homosapiens will survive on earth for another 1000yrs. :-)

Last edited:
Errr
2 big black holes ...or 2 big vacuum cleaners which can suck in objects as large as sun are found to exist in pairs,which is supposed to be an incredible news.And these 2 vacuum cleaners will soon merge into one...soon here would mean another 2 million years. :D
Didnt know you like reading science articles or else I would have mentioned me here. :-)

Off topic:
:partay::partay::partay::partay:

Errr
Didnt know you like reading science articles or else I would have mentioned you here. :-)

Off topic:

Hehehe even if a black hole was to pull earth in,it'll take another million years or so.
But I fear if homosapiens will survive on earth for another 1000yrs. :-)

okay thanks.. some suckers out there, I got it :sarcastic: -

No I dont like to read science topics, I like to listen.. whats beyond these blackholes?

Yup, read about it, its great, humanity has no borders, hopefully he will be healthy again and live a long life, a proof of Pak-India cooperation.

Back
Top Bottom