What's new

Nobel prize nominee - Brave Pakistani girl

Last Hope

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
316311_292805864087745_168598359841830_945233_214823902_n.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani on Thursday announced the National Peace Prize and Rs500,000 as encouragement for 14-year old Malala Yousufzai, a student from Swat.
Malala was one of the five nominees from 98 worldwide, vying for an international peace prize for children. The award was announced by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace Laureate in Cape Town and was given to Michaela Mycroft, a handicapped girl from South Africa.

The Prime Minister directed the Cabinet Division to constitute National Peace Prize to be awarded annually to children for their contribution to peace and education.

Malala an eighth class student from Gulkada, Mingora, expressed her determination to fight for education of girls in the area that got infested by militants, but was cleared after a military operation. Young Malala told reporters that she realised the importance of peace and education, when extremists destroyed the schools.

She expressed her belief that education was the key to progress and to ensure peace in the world. The International Peace Prize is awarded to a child who makes a difference, through their courageous or otherwise remarkable acts.

Using the Internet, she reached out to the outside world, taking a stand by writing about her daily battle with extremist militants who used fear and intimidation to force girls to stay at home.

"I was scared of being beheaded by the Taliban because of my passion for education," Malala said. "During their rule, the Taliban used to march into our houses to check whether we were studying or watching television."
Malala said she used to hide her books under her bed, fearing a house search by the Taliban.

Although Malala didn't win that prize, she said she would still "fight for girls' education and work toward creating a society where girls can be educated freely."

She also has big plans for the future.

"I want to be a political leader, as this country needs honest and true leaders," she said.

hmm good....

Pakistanis are great we just need to highlight.

Proud of being Pakistani...:)

Back
Top Bottom