What's new

Nine suspected militants killed in Orakzai airstrikes

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR: Nine suspected militants were killed and three hideouts demolished in airstrikes conducted by Pakistani security forces in the upper Orakzai tribal region, DawnNews reported on Thursday.

According to assistant political agent Rafiq Mohmand, the airstrikes took place in the Arghanjo area of the upper Orakzai tribal area.

An ongoing military offensive against suspected militants in the tribal agency appears to have gained momentum, with security forces claiming to have killed dozens of militants and destroyed their hideouts in the past week.

Security officials claim that up to 92 per cent of Orakzai agency has been cleared of militants in the ongoing military offensive in the restive tribal region.

Orakzai is one of Pakistan’s seven semi-autonomous tribal regions in the northwest, where Pakistani Taliban and Al Qaeda-linked militants are said to have carved out strongholds.

The area was the original base of Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud before he moved to South Waziristan to take up the Taliban leadership after the death of his predecessor, Baituallah Mehsud.
Unlike the six other tribal agencies, however, Orakzai does not border Afghanistan. The rugged mountainous territory provides a crucial link for militants operating in other tribal regions, as it borders the regions of Khyber and Kurram on the Afghan frontier. It also borders Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and Pakistan’s main northwestern city, as well as the garrison town of Kohat.

PESHAWAR: Nine suspected militants were killed and three hideouts demolished in airstrikes conducted by Pakistani security forces in the upper Orakzai tribal region, DawnNews reported on Thursday.

According to assistant political agent Rafiq Mohmand, the airstrikes took place in the Arghanjo area of the upper Orakzai tribal area.

An ongoing military offensive against suspected militants in the tribal agency appears to have gained momentum, with security forces claiming to have killed dozens of militants and destroyed their hideouts in the past week.

Security officials claim that up to 92 per cent of Orakzai agency has been cleared of militants in the ongoing military offensive in the restive tribal region.

Orakzai is one of Pakistan’s seven semi-autonomous tribal regions in the northwest, where Pakistani Taliban and Al Qaeda-linked militants are said to have carved out strongholds.

The area was the original base of Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud before he moved to South Waziristan to take up the Taliban leadership after the death of his predecessor, Baituallah Mehsud.
Unlike the six other tribal agencies, however, Orakzai does not border Afghanistan. The rugged mountainous territory provides a crucial link for militants operating in other tribal regions, as it borders the regions of Khyber and Kurram on the Afghan frontier. It also borders Peshawar, the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and Pakistan’s main northwestern city, as well as the garrison town of Kohat.

It's really incredible - just how many TTP are there? How is it that the Pakistan armed forces or even just police, not handle these people? Think about all the logistics necessary for a movement as large as the TTP, think about housing, feeding, training, arming and paying them, looking after their families -- really peculiar.

are there any independent verification at all that the ones killed were truly militants ? I mean going by these claims, Pak Military must have killed thousands in last couple of years?? Where are these popping up from ?

I mean going by these claims, Pak Military must have killed thousands in last couple of years?? Where are these popping up from ?

I too find this really confusing - something just isn't adding up - and I think that the Armed Forces are not being truthful about the size of this enemy and I don't understand why not?

It's really incredible - just how many TTP are there? How is it that the Pakistan armed forces or even just police, not handle these people? Think about all the logistics necessary for a movement as large as the TTP, think about housing, feeding, training, arming and paying them, looking after their families -- really peculiar.

They are trying to protect Ansar Ul Islam. A proxy meant to fight the militants. It started when TTP supporting LI which was traditionally an enemy of AuI attacked them. A huge fight began. Now airstrikes are bombing TTP positions. If it was uncertain before now the link has been confirmed. I fear AuL's support could erode.

Ansarul Islam is the Nazir of Tirah valley. A valuable asset to our military. You are right. They previously claimed 93% of Orakzai was cleared. This doesn't look cleared to me. They said the same about SW, only Sararogha is in their hands. I know because it is the topic of my book Badal.

I too find this really confusing - something just isn't adding up - and I think that the Armed Forces are not being truthful about the size of this enemy and I don't understand why not?

By control they mean roads and check-posts. Everywhere else the militants exist.

This is an excerpt from The nation article in Feb 2011:
The sources added most of the areas of Orakzai Agency have been cleared of militants while about 10 per cent area including Sefal Darra, Kasha, Wood Mela, Mamozai and Ahang is still under their control. The security force are advancing further to these areas but facing tough resistance due to presence of landmines planted by Taliban.
It is worth mentioning here that Orakzai Agency operation was launched in January 2010. So far, around 1,280 militants have been killed and 539 others got injured. The operation also claimed lives of 48 security personnel including 12 high-ranking officers of army.

The army controls some roads and some strategic hilltops it thinks it controls the entire region. In Ladha Hakimullah still comes and goes. I have full knowledge of it on account of my book, Badal

Back
Top Bottom