What's new

New Royal Navy supercarriers ‘put Britain back in military elite’

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-Masthead-1021x580.webp

The Royal Navy ‘is back in the premier division’ of the globe’s military elite says Vice-Admiral Bob Cooling.

HMS Queen Elizabeth is in the final phases of fitting out in Rosyth. The flight deck of the 70,600 tonne vessel is nearly finished. Now a Captain of one of the UK’s last aircraft carriers, the former HMS Illustrious, has told of his delight at the future flagship’s milestone.

Vice-Admiral Bob Cooling told The Portsmouth News:

“All the maritime community are absolutely delighted to see this magnificent ship becoming a reality. She puts us back in to the first division of major military nations. And it is right and proper her home port should be Portsmouth, which has been the home of the navy’s capital ships and air power ships for decades.”

Former First Sea Lord George Zambellas said:

“When the first of our new carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth, deploys on her first mission in a few years, with fifth generation fighters and drones embarked, she will scotch at a stroke any talk of Britain’s retreat from the world.”

Tabloids often like to quote 12 as the maximum number of F-35B’s the carrier will be able to carry (despite the intention to purchase 138 in the long term), however this, as you probably know, is nonsense. The carriers, in peacetime, will usually deploy with 12 F-35B’s as a minimum and a number of various helicopters. To reduce costs and free aircraft for other commitments, the maximum aircraft complement will not usually be carried in peacetime, it instead will be supplied as required or deployed to the vessels in the event of a crisis. Rather than funding a large and permanent Carrier Air Group, the relatively new concept of a Tailored Air Group rather than fixed Carrier Air Group will be adopted for the Queen Elizabeth class with the exact types and numbers of aircraft embarked being adjusted to meet current requirements and threats. I don’t see there being much call for 36 F-35B’s if delivering humanitarian aid, do you?

The Queen Elizabeth class mark a change from expressing carrier power in terms of number of aircraft carried, to the number of sortie’s that can be generated from the deck. The class are not the largest class of carrier in the world but they are most likely the smallest and least expensive carrier the Royal Navy could build which still have the advantages that large carriers offer.

Crew are currently moving aboard the supercarrier, sea trials begin in the New Year and the vessel moves to Portsmouth in Spring 2017.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-royal-navy-supercarriers-put-britain-back-military-elite/

Very impressive vessels, unequivocally. Its complement of 50 aircraft, sensors, advanced fighters, and sheer size would place it only second to US-built Nimitz carriers in this day and age.

wow, we should get an Aircraft Carrier too
why you are crazy about aircraft carriers, pakistan don't need it:hitwall::devil:how to get those carriers we don't have $$$$$$$$$ and how to maintain it we have no facilities and $$$$$$$$$$, i am sick of you for your baseless post and reporting you:blah:

why you are crazy about aircraft carriers, pakistan don't need it:hitwall::devil:how to get those carriers we don't have $$$$$$$$$ and how to maintain it we have no facilities and $$$$$$$$$$, i am sick of you for your baseless post and reporting you:blah:
I think you have confused me with someone else

Just a suggestion
why? give me a reasons on what logic you suggest Pakistan must buy an aircraft carrier? Pakistan doesn't need a aircraft carrier, do you know how much its cost, we haven't $$$$$$$$$$, and how much maintenance prone it is, we have no facilities to service it, you have baseless and insane arguments :crazy::devil::hitwall::blah: i am again reporting you

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom