What's new

Meet the only Indian to win Europe's biggest scholarship

Jade

Reaction score
Country
India
Alok Arun, who is currently working on his PhD at the Station Biologique de Roscoff in France after winning the Erasmus Mundus -- Europe's biggest scholarship -- is also the only Indian to be part of a global genome project that he says will influence the life cycle of an organism.

It's been over three years since Alok Arun won the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship to study in Europe in 2009.

When he was announced the first Indian to have ever won what's considered the continent's biggest scholarship to pursue his PhD, Alok took his first baby step towards a bigger dream -- "a breakthrough discovery in genetics".

For Alok, who was born in Darbhanga, Bihar and had never travelled abroad, it was a "dream come true" to be chosen from among 16 students across the globe to pursue his PhD in France.

He says it's a "privilege" to study at the Station Biologique de Roscoff, France -- one of the world's best marine laboratories -- where he is currently pursuing his PhD in Developmental Biology and Genomics.

Interestingly, the 28-year-old is also the youngest and the only Indian to be part of a global genome project, whose discoveries and findings he says could lead to curing fatal diseases like cancer in the future.

While Alok may be on his way to unveil a "breakthrough discovery in genetics" and make the country proud of his achievements, very few know that he was once a shy, reticent boy who was afraid of public speaking for a long time.

"I was an average student in school. I was afraid of speaking in public until I reached college," says Alok, who studied at Rose Public School in Darbhanga, Bihar.

He says Hindu College, Delhi where he did his graduation from, is where a large part of his transformation took place.

"When I joined Hindu College, I was not focused on my career. I had seen celebrities and inspiring people only on television and read about them in the newspapers. But during the three years I spent at Hindu College, many famous personalities visited and shared their experiences. I realised how lucky I was to be part of such a prestigious college, where we could interact with successful people from the field of entertainment, politics etc."

Inspired by his newfound realisation, in March 2001, Alok not only participated in his first debate competition, but also overcame his fear of public speaking and returned with the first prize, making everyone proud.

Just when he thought that things were working in his favour, however, he was forced to take a two-year sabbatical from studying because he could not clear the entrance exam to pursue his master's degree -- he failed twice.

But when he set his heart on it the third time, he not only cracked the exam but went on to complete his MPhil in a record 10 months, surprising everyone and setting a shining example for his peers.

Today, Alok is proud to be part of a 48-member International Chondrus Genome Consortium which has successfully sequenced the genome of the first multi-cellular red algae, Chondrus -- a marine alga he says has immense economical and medicinal values.

After gaining some experience, he plans to return to India so that he can use his knowledge to support and improve fundamental research in the country.

While Alok's father Dr Parmanand Jha teaches English at CM College in Darbhanga, he attributes his success to his mother Renu Jha, a housewife with whom he also shares a special bond.

"My mother has been supportive and confident about me throughout. She has been the only one who never gave a second thought about making tea at 2 am if I was studying. She not only helped me evolve as a good student, but also as a good human being," says the international achiever.

http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_m...ted_projects_action_1_joint_doctorates_en.php

Back
Top Bottom