KP Development in irrigation: Water starts flowing in newly-built Baizai Canal

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Water starts flowing in newly-built Baizai Canal

25,000 acres rain-fed land to be irrigated in Mardan, Malakand

Water has started flowing in the newly built Baizai Canal that would eventually cost Rs3.4 billion and irrigate 25,000 acres of land in Mardan district.

This has brought smile on the faces of farmers who would now be able to irrigate their rain-fed land and grow more crops with better yield. “We released water in the canal on May 31. We are testing the system and everything is working smoothly,” Sajjad Ahmed, the project director of the Baizai Canal, told The News.

He pointed out that the irrigation department was ready to release water in the Baizai Canal earlier, but the provincial government delayed it until after the local bodies’ elections on May 30 so that it isn’t blamed for trying to influence the voters.

Sajjad Ahmed said 80 percent of the work on the Baizai Canal system has been completed. “Work on five smaller canals upstream is incomplete, but we released the water in the canal earlier to benefit the farmers and enable them to irrigate their land in the summer,” he added.

The completion of the Baizai Canal project has been delayed for more than two years. It was scheduled to be completed in June 2013, but a host of factors caused the delay. Three construction firms got a share of the project costing Rs850 million each, but irrigation department officials said one of them, Karkun, has been unable to complete its part of the work in accordance with the projected period. The irrigation department is expected to review the situation as it is keen to complete the project as soon as possible and hire staff for operating the canal by July 2016.

The project directorate for the Baizai Canal would function until 2016 before handing over the canal to the operations wing of the irrigation department. Normally, the project directorate doesn’t operate canals but an exception was made in case of the Baizai Canal to start delivering its benefits to the farmers.

The canal was approved by the then Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ameer Haider Hoti, who belonged to Mardan and ensured that the project received the required funds in time. His father Mohammad Azam Hoti, who died recently, took personal interest in the project and oversaw the construction of the canal.

Initially, 20,000 acres of barani land in the Sharqi Baizai area of Mardan’s Katlang tehsil was to be irrigated by the canal, but the project was later reviewed and expanded to irrigate another 5,000 acres of land.

Sajjad Ahmed, who has overseen the execution of the Baizai Canal and was brought back to head the project to accelerate the work, said the main canal is 99 percent ready. He said the canal outlets were also ready while work on five smaller canals is underway. “Farmers would need to build water courses to take water from the canal to their lands,” he added.

Provincial irrigation minister Mahmood Khan and secretary irrigation Mohammad Naeem Khan along with senior officials of the department are expected to pay a visit to Malakand and Mardan districts today to see the progress on the work on Baizai Canal and watch the water flowing in it.

Wonderful news

This is the type of projects we need in Pakistan which directly helps the farmers and poor to resolve their water and irrigation issues and give a sigh of breath to the local economy

p.s.

I Think this is something unique, no new canal has been built since the British established Canal system.
And I thought it was naturally understood concept that many canals and irrigation system in Pakistan spirited to life after the completion of Tarbela, Mangla and smaller dams. After independence, The first canal in Pakistan started construction in 1948 if my research and memory is right.

The most recent one is under construction Kachhi Canal (for which handsome amount is being allocated each year despite corruption allegation) will be about 28 times bigger than this project upon completion of all phases. It's phase 1 is due to be completed this month irrigating 102,000 acres of land. After the completion of phase II (267,000 acres) and phase III (344,000 acres) it's tipped to provide water for irrigation to the farthest of Balochistan and parts of South Punjab.

Having said that we must appreciate the development work being carried out for the people and the efforts made by KP government deserves a word of applause for completing Baizai canal

o patwari bhai aaj lahore mien Kisan protest kr rahe haein apna haq ke liye... sara traffic nizam kharab hogya, police he police har jaga, un becharo ko multan road par hi rok lya...
Aap ki pointless post ki bajaye I decided to quote your other post. Khush raho mere Bhai aap Bhi Pakistan ka bhala hi chahte ho chahay hamare raste alag hi kyoun na hon manzil to wohi hai aur is duniya main jitne Insan hain utni hi opinions hain so the conflict of opinion is bound to happen. You might be right in many things you say but I choose to differ the undemocratic path your leaders sometime takes

Last edited:
Nice V.nice.... Build Dams too...

How's KP 300 small dams project going...?? how many under construction??

And I thought it was naturally understood concept that many canals and irrigation system in Pakistan spirited to life after the completion of Tarbela, Mangla and smaller dams. After independence, The first canal in Pakistan started construction in 1948 if my research and memory is right.

The most recent one is under construction Kachhi Canal (for which handsome amount is being allocated each year despite corruption allegation) will be about 28 times bigger than this project upon completion of all phases. It's phase 1 is due to be completed this month irrigating 102,000 acres of land. After the completion of phase II (267,000 acres) and phase III (344,000 acres) it's tipped to provide water for irrigation to the farthest of Balochistan and parts of South Punjab.

Having said that we must appreciate the development work being carried out for the people and the efforts made by KP government deserves a word of applause for completing Baizai canal

Aap ki pointless post ki bajaye I decided to quote your other post. Khush raho mere Bhai aap Bhi Pakistan ka bhala hi chahte ho chahay hamare raste alag hi kyoun na hon manzil to wohi hai aur is duniya main jitne Insan hain utni hi opinions hain so the conflict of opinion is bound to happen. You might be right in many things you say but I choose to differ the undemocratic path your leaders sometime takes

I dont know whether you are sincere to Pakistan or not. you have to show some evidence, maybe its plain lack of knowledge what democratic right is.. kabhe 3-4 lines likh kar dekhna democracy per... :P

I dont know whether you are sincere to Pakistan or not. you have to show some evidence, maybe its plain lack of knowledge what democratic right is.. kabhe 3-4 lines likh kar dekhna democracy per... :P
Agar democracy ka matlub road block kar ke hartaal karna hai to main undemocratic hon. Agar democracy ka matlub pooray mulk ko 2 tarah ki tafreeq main bantna hai ke either you are angel PTI or evil patwari then I am happy to be undemocratic.

Agar democracy ka matlub evolution hai to I am democratic

I believe democracy is a tree and grow with time. It does produce rotten/bad quality fruit with the likes of Nawaz League or Pakistan People's Party but the theory of evolution will filter/throw the bad politicians out due to their incompetence and poor performance. So far they have always come back with the victim card and even your leader was giving them another chance to become masoom and come back to power, had the significant number of people backed anarchy march.

Ps: I don't reveal secrets but 1 andar ki baat hai ke aaj se kuch saal pehle most of the MODs were in favour of banning you permanently as you were doing nothing but advertising about PTI and according to some, making hateful comments about the Army and even the respectable groups below moderation were complaining everyday and there were only two MODs supporting your case with myself being one of them as I had a stance that whatever you do is your democratic right and the others are free to disagree and should only be banned if you had made violations to pre-inscribed forum rules.

The level of freedom PDF gives to members, you the workers of PTI cannot tolerate 10% of it

Peace / lets cut the discussion

Any idea when phase 2 and 3 will be completed? I mean it has taken more then decade to build phase 1. This project is very important for south punjab and balochistan.

Agar democracy ka matlub road block kar ke hartaal karna hai to main undemocratic hon. Agar democracy ka matlub pooray mulk ko 2 tarah ki tafreeq main bantna hai ke either you are angel PTI or evil patwari then I am happy to be undemocratic.

Agar democracy ka matlub evolution hai to I am democratic

I believe democracy is a tree and grow with time. It does produce rotten/bad quality fruit with the likes of Nawaz League or Pakistan People's Party but the theory of evolution will filter/throw the bad politicians out due to their incompetence and poor performance. So far they have always come back with the victim card and even your leader was giving them another chance to become masoom and come back to power, had the significant number of people backed anarchy march.

Ps: I don't reveal secrets but 1 andar ki baat hai ke aaj se kuch saal pehle most of the MODs were in favour of banning you permanently as you were doing nothing but advertising about PTI and according to some, making hateful comments about the Army and even the respectable groups below moderation were complaining everyday and there were only two MODs supporting your case with myself being one of them as I had a stance that whatever you do is your democratic right and the others are free to disagree and should only be banned if you had made violations to pre-inscribed forum rules.

The level of freedom PDF gives to members, you the workers of PTI cannot tolerate 10% of it

Peace / lets cut the discussion

ap kay pind mien chaudhary ki ghulami ho gi, Lahore mien educated class kafi different hae..

ap kay pind mien chaudhary ki ghulami ho gi, Lahore mien educated class kafi different hae..
Pakistan azaad ho chuka hai mere Bhai ab yahan princely states nahi hain

Right, matlub aap maan rahay ho ke aap ki pyaari N League ne itna Kaam Kiya hai Lahore main ke 1 bohat Bari educated class bana di hai warna agar kuch saal pechay chalain jayen to hamara literacy rate Bhi 25-30% hota tha.

Aur I am not against protests but the way it is done. I have also participated in protests in past and it is also the part of democratic culture but what the PTI did during anarchy march is gunda gardi, the protest by the poor farmers is understandable as there is no culture of protesting at designated places and we technically are a lawless country where the rules for conducting a peaceful protest are never abided, so their method of protest is understandable, must be respected and sorted out. Jis protest main logon ki jaan chali jaye aur nafrat ka dars diya jaye mujhe aise protests se ikhtalaf hai, protest for rights is a Jihad

Pakistan azaad ho chuka hai mere Bhai ab yahan princely states nahi hain

Right, matlub aap maan rahay ho ke aap ki pyaari N League ne itna Kaam Kiya hai Lahore main ke 1 bohat Bari educated class bana di hai warna agar kuch saal pechay chalain jayen to hamara literacy rate Bhi 25-30% hota tha.

Aur I am not against protests but the way it is done. I have also participated in protests in past and it is also the part of democratic culture but what the PTI did during anarchy march is gunda gardi, the protest by the poor farmers is understandable as there is no culture of protesting at designated places and we technically are a lawless country where the rules for conducting a peaceful protest are never abided, so their method of protest is understandable, must be respected and sorted out. Jis protest main logon ki jaan chali jaye aur nafrat ka dars diya jaye mujhe aise protests se ikhtalaf hai, protest for rights is a Jihad

lol... changing position. from protest to be undemocratic to mera yeh maltab nahe tha, mera woh matlab nae tha... hahahaha... ja oye gujjratiyay !

lol... changing position. from protest to be undemocratic to mera yeh maltab nahe tha, mera woh matlab nae tha... hahahaha... ja oye gujjratiyay !
My position has always been same since past many years.

I am against violence/incitement/hate speech led protests such as the protests lead by PTI for 4 months but thankfully failed miserably due to lack of support from the people.

Protest for rights conducted in organised manner is a right way forward for prosperity of people and social life. There is a difference of opinion between both of us I guess nothing more

Back
Top Bottom