What's new

Japan, Indonesia prepare defence trade MoU

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Indonesia and Japan are preparing a defence co-operation agreement that will facilitate defence trade and potential industrial collaboration, according to the Indonesian government's top envoy in Japan.

Speaking to Indonesia's state-run news agency on 3 February, Yusron Ihza Mahendra, the Indonesian ambassador to Japan, said the defence memorandum of understanding (MoU) could be signed during Indonesian president Joko Widodo's visit to Tokyo, which is expected to take place in March.

He said the MoU would enable the transfer of Japanese-manufactured defence equipment to Indonesia as well as "joint research and production" between the defence industries of the two countries.

Mahendra did not elaborate, although IHS Jane's has previously reported that Indonesia has expressed interest in acquiring Japan's ShinMaywa Industries US-2 amphibious, fixed-wing aircraft for search and rescue operations.

Japan, Indonesia prepare defence trade MoU - IHS Jane's 360

@madokafc , @Indos , @Jakartans@PkDef , @NarThoD , @Brainsucker , @initial_d et al.

What's strategic, tactical weapons, Japan could offer and Indonesia want the most ?

"BoQ77, post: 6831746, member: 141390"]What's strategic, tactical weapons, Japan could offer and Indonesia want the most ?
Seaplane and fighting vehicle engine for our APC & medium tank

Good development.
Indonesia needs to strengthen its air force and amphibious warfare capabilities big time. Their Army is strong enough to defend the country but their aerial and naval assets need to be enhanced.

IMO Japan could do great in supplying Soryu class attack submarines, Shinmayawa US-2 and Kawasaki C-2 aircraft for Indonesian air force.

Getting to sell them fighters would be a challenge since Indonesia has heavily invested in Russian aerial infrastructure for fighter division.

What about the Akizuki Class Destroyer ?

;)
Well who doesn't want the Akizuki, but I don't think our navy have enough budget for acquiring and operating Akizuki class at this momment

But who knows, in five years we can start acquring principal/main surface combatant like the Akizuki, and I personally think Japanese and South Korean warship design are the right one for us

Well who doesn't want the Akizuki, but I don't think our navy have enough budget for acquiring and operating Akizuki class at this momment

But who knows, in five years we can start acquring principal/main surface combatant like the Akizuki, and I personally think Japanese and South Korean warship design are the right one for us

I'd love to see the Indonesian Flag hoisted on top of 2-4 of these babies.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom