What's new

James Caan supports UKaid education initiative in Pakistan

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
22 February 2010

James Caan, British entrepreneur and BBC TV Dragons’ Den celebrity, is to visit Pakistan to explore ways in which he can apply his extensive business experience to improve Pakistan’s education system.

During his stay he will find out how the UK is working with the Pakistani Government to improve the quality of education and ensure that all children in Pakistan have the chance to get in to school.

Caan will be in Pakistan from 20 February and will have discussions with representatives from the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to learn more about how its £250 million UK aid programme is supporting education in the country.

He will learn about DFID’s planned programmes in the Punjab, including how DFID is working with the World Bank to strengthen teacher recruitment, improve school infrastructure and work with the private sector to improve school management. The programme will help five million more children attend school and give 500,000 young people the skills they need to get jobs.

“I believe that every child has a right to education. Giving people a chance in life and schooling is at the heart of fighting poverty and maintaining security in Pakistan,” comments Caan. “This programme will deliver the benefit of education to millions of children, in turn equipping them with the knowledge and skills to work, providing a much-needed long-term boost to the Pakistan economy. Nothing could be more important than giving the younger generation of Pakistan this opportunity, with the numerous challenges the country is currently facing. I am delighted to be involved with this initiative and to have the opportunity of giving something back.”

Half of the population of Pakistan is illiterate, with six million children of school age currently not attending school. Education in Pakistan is a particular passion for Caan, who was born in Lahore and is proud to have been able to fund the construction and running of his own school in his home town, which hundreds of local children can attend for free.

Development Minister Mike Foster said:

“Almost half of all children in Pakistan are still not receiving an education. But if the country is to realise its plans for a successful economy and future growth then now is the time to invest in its most important resource, its young people. Our work is making it easier for children to get in to schools by ensuring they are better run and there are enough teachers available.

“It’s also making sure that the education these young people receive is geared towards providing them with the skills they need to find a job – having worked as a teacher myself, I know how important that is. We welcome James Caan’s support and look forward to investing in a better future for Pakistan’s children.”

:pakistan:

his real name or formal name is Nazim khan , he is a pakistani born British , and a good man .

He may be a good guy undoubtedly, but why does he have to act like a coconut?! I mean James Caan .. lol! whats wrong with his real name?!

Not being provocative .. jst sharing my thoughts!

I watch `Dragons Den`, and James is the most sensible guy among the lot. He is soft spokem and never insults budding enterprenures.
theo and peter are show-offs. :thumbs down:

Half of the population of Pakistan is illiterate, with six million children of school age currently not attending school.
:pakistan:

All the "-stans" in the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) have a literacy rate of 90+ %. Goes to show the effect of the Russians wasn't all that negative. Maybe when Pakistan's literacy rate is in the 90+ % category, we will get promoted from observer status to members of the SCO. :azn:

Back
Top Bottom