What's new

Iran working on supercomputer- in top 500

Philosopher

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology (ICT) Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi announced the country's plans to launch 5 new satellites into the orbit by the end of the current Iranian year (March 20, 20121).
"The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology plans to implement 10 operational programs for the final year of the current government, most of which will be in the field of space, development of national information network infrastructure, cyberspace, and public relations," Azari Jahromi said on Wednesday.

"We are trying to launch five satellites by end of this year in coordination with the Ministry of Defense," he added.

"Utilization of a large Iranian supercomputer, which is one of the top 500 computers in the world, is on the agenda," he said, adding, "This supercomputer is very important for information processing and achieving results in artificial intelligence and is one of the artificial intelligence infrastructures that will be put into operation in February."

Azari Jahromi had announced in June that the number of the country's manufactured satellites will increase to 18 by the end of the current Iranian year.

"Iran had made 3 satellites by the year 2013, it increased to 7 in 2017, 15 in 2020 and God willing, we will have 18 home-made satellites by the end of this year," Azari Jahromi said, addressing the parliamentarians in Tehran.

He also underlined the importance of the recent satellite launched by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force as a move that has expanded Iran's scientific capacities and paved the ground for more progress.

The IRGC successfully launched and placed Iran’s first military satellite named Nour 1 (Light 1) into the orbit late in April.

The IRGC fired the satellite aboard Qassed (Carrier) satellite carrier during an operation that was staged in Dasht-e Kavir, Iran’s sprawling Central desert.

The Launcher Qassed is a three-stage launcher using compound solid-liquid fuel.

The satellite was placed into the orbit 425km above Earth’s surface.

The satellite was sent to the space on the anniversary of the IRGC establishment (April 22, 1979).

https://en.farsnews.ir/newstext.aspx?nn=13990530000228

How is Iran able to by pass the Operating System requirements considering these require downloads and patches all the time

Does Iran owns their own Operating System ?
Well, maybe it can't be called our "own" OS, but Iran has been releasing Linux distros since at least 2003. I remember that Parsix was a good attempt at a GNOME-based distro back in 2006 or so.

Well, maybe it can't be called our "own" OS, but Iran has been releasing Linux distros since at least 2003. I remember that Parsix was a good attempt at a GNOME-based distro back in 2006 or so.

Iran should design its own OS from scratch. It is not impossible. I myself had written a basic OS about 10 years ago after being inspired by the wonderful microkernel-based QNX Neutrino OS.

The second goal of Iran should be an indigenous microprocessor. The fabrication can be done in China.

OS + microprocessor will give strategic advantage to Iran. I am sure there are at least a few thousand computer engineers graduating from university every year.

Iran should design its own OS from scratch. It is not impossible. I myself had written a basic OS about 10 years ago after being inspired by the wonderful microkernel-based QNX Neutrino OS.

The second goal of Iran should be an indigenous microprocessor. The fabrication can be done in China.

OS + microprocessor will give strategic advantage to Iran. I am sure there are at least a few thousand computer engineers graduating from university every year.
The IRGC and the Defense Ministry do use a national OS, but nothing is known about it. It exists only in the news.

Parsix on the other hand was public and people could install it if they wished to do so. I remember we used modified versions of Windows 95, 98 and ME with support for the Persian language back in the days.

I remember we used modified versions of Windows 95, 98 and ME with support for the Persian language back in the days.

Was that done by reverse engineering or with support of Microsoft ?

Was that done by reverse engineering or with support of Microsoft ?
Reverse engineering, of course. Microsoft has always had sanctions on Iran, like most other US giants.

And I'm not very knowledgeable about microprocessors, but this might be interesting for you:

Parsé Semiconductor Co. was established in 2003 in Tehran, Iran, is a digital design house for ASIC, SoC and FPGA designs. The company in 2006 announced it has both designed and produced a 32 bit computer microprocessor inside the country for the first time.[1]

The computer microprocessor called Aristo has been manufactured by Iranian researchers and engineers at Parsé Semiconductor with the support the company has received from the Modern Industries Center of the ministry of Industries of Iran. In addition Parsé has released its own chip called Tachra, which includes the Aristo processor core, together with a suite of Tachra development tools. These architectures seem to have much in common with Leon3.[2][3]

Designed and manufactured in conformity with SPARC processors architecture, Aristo stands to the international standards and can well compete with similar processors existing in the market. The newly Iran-made computer microprocessor can be used in communications projects, auto-manufacturing industry, industrial automation, robotic systems and artificial intelligence, computer and data transfer networks, etc

right now no publicly available active distro are produced in Iran and you may not believe but last time they used windows XP in our ships

I think they will use Risk-V as processor. It is free to use, no licence kosts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC-V
Any open source architecture runs the risk of having micro coded backdoor ports allowing the organizations that secretly finance these "open source" developments to enter without the user being aware....

TEHRAN (FNA)- Iranian Minister of Communications and Information Technology (ICT) Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi announced the country's plans to launch 5 new satellites into the orbit by the end of the current Iranian year (March 20, 20121).
"The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology plans to implement 10 operational programs for the final year of the current government, most of which will be in the field of space, development of national information network infrastructure, cyberspace, and public relations," Azari Jahromi said on Wednesday.

"We are trying to launch five satellites by end of this year in coordination with the Ministry of Defense," he added.

"Utilization of a large Iranian supercomputer, which is one of the top 500 computers in the world, is on the agenda," he said, adding, "This supercomputer is very important for information processing and achieving results in artificial intelligence and is one of the artificial intelligence infrastructures that will be put into operation in February."

Azari Jahromi had announced in June that the number of the country's manufactured satellites will increase to 18 by the end of the current Iranian year.

"Iran had made 3 satellites by the year 2013, it increased to 7 in 2017, 15 in 2020 and God willing, we will have 18 home-made satellites by the end of this year," Azari Jahromi said, addressing the parliamentarians in Tehran.

He also underlined the importance of the recent satellite launched by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Aerospace Force as a move that has expanded Iran's scientific capacities and paved the ground for more progress.

The IRGC successfully launched and placed Iran’s first military satellite named Nour 1 (Light 1) into the orbit late in April.

The IRGC fired the satellite aboard Qassed (Carrier) satellite carrier during an operation that was staged in Dasht-e Kavir, Iran’s sprawling Central desert.

The Launcher Qassed is a three-stage launcher using compound solid-liquid fuel.

The satellite was placed into the orbit 425km above Earth’s surface.

The satellite was sent to the space on the anniversary of the IRGC establishment (April 22, 1979).

https://en.farsnews.ir/newstext.aspx?nn=13990530000228
Defense minister says one or two launches and even those are part of research which may be postponed, and our famous liar ICT minister has it's own space suite!

If so, so why china use them a lot?
I do not know if they do and in what systems (military, civilian!) but If they do I am sure they must have taken that possibility in their calculation....It is the same concept as the "kill switch" when you buy any large system from a foreign supplier... think about Saudi F-15s dropping out of the sky if they decide to make a run to bomb Israel!!...

Any open source architecture runs the risk of having micro coded backdoor ports allowing the organizations that secretly finance these "open source" developments to enter without the user being aware....

the same problem exists for proprietary OSs & hardware. example: intel had VISA. a backdoor designed specifically for NSA.
also don't forget problems like spectre & meltdown. these two wrecked intel's designes they still haven't patched everything. and intel is a GIANT! imagine what AMD runs in their systems...
There are certainly backdoors in MacOS, windows, linux etc. but remember, there are more eyes on linux.

IMO if iran uses an opensource design, we can rely on the folks having an eye on the thing. this is a huge plus for these designs...

though i personally question the use of a supercomputer on that scale. what sort of math problems we need to solve that require billions in hardware?

though i personally question the use of a supercomputer on that scale. what sort of math problems we need to solve that require billions in hardware?

This is some complicated stuff, ranging from research on how to implode tiny capsules of hydrogen with a laser to simulate what happens inside of the sun to modeling physical systems such as aircraft engines, Earth’s climate and the human vascular system.

https://techland.time.com/2012/06/19/what-exactly-is-a-supercomputer/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom