What's new

India V South Africa-12th March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
India
So guys tomorrow is the match between two big teams in Group B in Nagpur at 2:30pm.

Lets discuss about the match.

images

I think India will win this match as i had a dream yesterday morning that India has won the match..lets hope it comes true.:cheers:

images

India takes on South Africa in heavyweight clash

Sparks could fly when India meets South Africa in a much-awaited Group `B' encounter at the Vidarbha Cricket Association ground here on Saturday.

This contest of the ICC ODI World Cup should be high on intensity and skills. And the marquee names will add lustre to the duel. The Indians will need to lift their cricket. The top-order has to create a platform for the middle and the late order to fire. Against a top fielding side such as South Africa, the rotation of the strike and the running between the wickets will be critical. The Indian batsmen have not always been quick on the turn while going back for the second run. The calling has not been decisive either on a few occasions.

The South African pacemen could ask probing questions. Well-directed short-pitched bowling could be employed to disrupt the foot-work of the Indian batsmen. The batting will have to come together as a unit; Yuvraj Singh cannot be expected to don the cloak of a match-winner time and again.

India's bowling options

Picking R. Ashwin represents a viable option. It remains to be seen whether skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni hands another life-line to leg-spinner Piyush Chawla. There are chances too that India might opt for a three-man pace attack with Munaf Patel replacing Chawla in the eleven. Seeking wickets, Harbhajan Singh might have to rely on dip in flight, caused by serious revolutions on the ball, to find the way through the defensive mind-set that the batsmen have adopted against him in the competition.

Will the bowlers be backed by fielding that is sharp? If the Indians are sloppy on the field, the South Africans will make them pay. South Africa will wait before taking a final call on the talented Imran Tahir, nursing a broken left thumb. The leg-spinner with a potent wrong 'un has added another dimension to the South African attack. Tahir has been bowling at the nets but then fielding in a match situation could aggravate the injury. If Tahir does not play then the South Africans might encounter difficulties in managing the middle overs where Tahir had been influential with his ability to take wickets.

The South African batting will not exactly be high on confidence following a disastrous collapse on the chase against England at Chepauk. In this context, Zaheer Khan's first spell will be significant. The versatile left-arm paceman has often harried and consumed Graeme Smith by mixing the delivery that leaves the left-hander with the one that straightens. The smooth-stroking Hashim Amla, given his tendency to shuffle across initially, too is a candidate for a leg-before decision early on against Zaheer.

If the South African opening duo survives the early phase, then the Indians might run into trouble. Both Smith and Amla can construct monuments. The solid Jacques Kallis, the fleet-footed Abraham de Villiers and the left-handed Jean-Paul Duminy lend weight to the line-up. Yet, the batting can be vulnerable on the pursuit.

Kallis provides solidity

If de Villiers's back continues to be sore, Morne van Wyk will keep wickets. Even without de Villiers donning the big gloves, South Africa saves a place because Kallis, the exceptional all-rounder, provides balance to the side.

Dale Steyn returns to a happy hunting ground. The fiery paceman blew away the Indian line-up with seven for 51 in the first innings of the Nagpur Test in February 2010 and memories will be fresh. An ODI on a track expected to be batsman-friendly represents a different challenge for Steyn. Two factors, though, work in favour of Steyn. He has air-speed — this does not depend on the nature of the surface — and can conquer batsmen with late swing. As the innings progresses, the Indians will have to look out for his toe-crushing reverse swing. Morne Morkel could probe the Indian top-order too. He has the ability to extract bounce, on any surface, from the back-of-a-length with his height and high-arm action.

It remains to be seen whether Smith employs a pace-spin pair with the new ball against India. The combination of Steyn and Morkel might prove a better option. The face-off between the two pacemen and mercurial Indian openers Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag should be engrossing. Sehwag would attempt to use the speed while Tendulkar will seek to stroke with a straighter blade.

The dew should not be a major factor during this time of the year here. Batting first might be a good option. As the contest progresses, the pitch might offer increasing turn.

The teams: India (from): M.S. Dhoni (captain), V. Sehwag, S. Tendulkar, G. Gambhir, V. Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Piyush Chawla, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, R. Ashwin, Zaheer Khan, Aashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, S. Raina, S. Sreesanth.

South Africa (from): G. Smith (captain), H. Amla, J. Kallis, A.B. de Villiers, J.P. Duminy, F. du Plessis, M. van Wyk, R. Petersen, J. Botha, D. Steyn, M. Morkel, I. Tahir, L. Tsotsobe, C. Ingram, W. Parnell.

The Hindu : Sport / Cricket : India takes on South Africa in heavyweight clash

All the best South Africa, hope you will win.

litmus test for india,but i dont think india is under pressure.
either they will gain first or second position

If its day and nite, then most probably winner will be the one who win the toss and bat first....at nite pitch turn ugly for batsman. Lot of moisture in the air.

Not such an important match as wee have already qualified but a win would guarentee us meeting either Kiwis or SL in the QF.

I will go all the way with SA because of indian weak bowling attack but still SA has to bat very well and the only two players are in form i.e Amla and AB other than them no one is scoring much although Smith scored few here and there but not looking in prime form neither is kallis looking in good batting from .so lets see

for me it will be 50-50 .both teams will be tested to their utmost limits if both play well

I will go all the way with SA because of indian weak bowling attack but still SA has to bat very well and the only two players are in form i.e Amla and AB other than them no one is scoring much although Smith scored few here and there but not looking in prime form neither is kallis looking in good batting from .so lets see

for me it will be 50-50 .both teams will be tested to their utmost limits if both play well

India gave them tough time in their own den.... i expect India to win tommorrow and stay unbeaten in whole tournament

60% SA Win 40% India wins.
India is good in batting and specially at home, we have good lineup of batsmen.
Weakness
Bowling == Cannot be worst then this.
fielding == worse then county level fielding of most countries participating.

SA.
Fielding excellent
Bowling Good
Batting Average

This is a tough match! SA is one of the the best team in the world. Alma, Kallis, Smith, de Villiers all could be dangerous. After lose against England and have been branded as “chokers”, now they will give their bests. Tough time ahead of Team India. As our bowling is weaker side we must bat first.

Is Imran Tahir playing?

I think India have the edge, especially at home. The batting lineup is just too good, its really looking better than ever with Yuvraj in form and new player Kohli looks like a winner. But bowling is decent, not amazing by any means. Zaheer Khan is still very accurate. But the pace bowling is a little lacking.

I think if Tahir is not playing India have a big edge. Should be a great game.

Indian batting must click (and more importantly Sehwag must fire today).

I have no hopes in the Indian bowling.

Only Indian batting can take us through.

I think the match would be even, as both the teams are well balanced. But India will have the advantage of home conditions and they will be looking to avenge the recent african victory of ODI series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom