What's new

india upgrading the mig-27 to boost strike capabilities

Moscow

BANNED
Reaction score
Jan 7: India is upgrading its MiG-27 fighters to sharpen their strike capabilities, officials said on Wednesday, even as experts say the recent Mumbai attacks have exposed the country’s need to modernise its defence forces.

Although the upgrade was planned well ahead of the attacks, officials said the defence ministry wanted to speed up modernisation of its forces to tackle any future security threat.

India is spending $92 million to develop the fighters with precise navigational equipment, better weapons aiming and accurate ranging sensors for hitting ground targets.

“The hardware and avionics bit has already been fitted into 40 fighters, and the software is being loaded now,” said Suranjan Pal, a senior official of the Defence Research and Development Organisation.

With the upgrading, the MiG fighters would last for another 10 years and have autopilot and auto weapon delivery facilities, a senior Indian Air Force official said.

India is looking to spend $30 billion on imports over the next five years to modernise its largely Soviet-era arms and is also trying to strengthen its navy by introducing new weapons systems.

The MiG-27 aircraft was originally built in the former Soviet Union in the mid-1970s before it was licensed to be produced in India.

India, fast becoming one of the world’s biggest arms importers, wants to modernise its air force, the fourth largest in the world, to cope with possible security threats in the region, security experts said.

“This is something more than it meets the eye; India is now very keen to signal to all the people that are monitoring the country that India is modernising its defence units,” C. Uday Bhaskar, a strategic affairs expert told Reuters.

“It seems we are now putting all the pieces together.”

India is also considering upgrading its other fighter fleet, including Mirage 2000s, Jaguars and MiG-29s, ahead of procuring the new generation Sukhoi-30MKIs, officials said.

It has also invited bids for a contract to supply 126 multi-role fighter jets, potentially worth more than $10 billion.

:cheers:

Will the upgrades be done in house or sent off to Russia? Will the radars be upgraded as well? Moscow do you know what specifically will be upgraded, such as airframe/avionics/weapons ?

Will the upgrades be done in house or sent off to Russia? Will the radars be upgraded as well? Moscow do you know what specifically will be upgraded, such as airframe/avionics/weapons ?

i am not sure about the radar will find out soon but weapons and avionics surely:agree:

dayum, I am no expert but that new cockpit looks a lot better than the old one. Good job by the developers. What is that brown thing in the top right of the old cockpit?

Any chance you guys could stop using Bharat Rakshak links? They are pretty racist over there.

dayum, I am no expert but that new cockpit looks a lot better than the old one. Good job by the developers. What is that brown thing in the top right of the old cockpit?

Any chance you guys could stop using Bharat Rakshak links? They are pretty racist over there.

I believe that the brown screen is the radar display, I could be wrong though.

I like that they have got rid of that annoying bluely green (or vice versa) the Soviets seemed so keen on, it has always bugged me:lol:

I believe that the brown screen is the radar display, I could be wrong though.

I like that they have got rid of that annoying bluely green (or vice versa) the Soviets seemed so keen on, it has always bugged me:lol:

Floggers did'nt have any radars,that(the brown one actually taken out during the upgradation) was the weapon guidance system for Kh-29.

This is the real deal....

07412fdebbc454b6a897e76710c33ff4.jpg

The new cockpit...Ac no.TU-595

85da2b91bc2a81cccba0071feac0554c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom