dadeechi

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
India, U.S. to conclude pact on aircraft carrier cooperation

Dinakar Peri

Vikrant_2816931f.jpg

First indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant, which is under construction at Kochi. — File photo

‘IEA will formalise exact technology that U.S. will share’
India and the U.S. may not have signed the Logistics Support Agreement as planned during Defence Secretary Ashton Carter’s visit early this week but both sides are close to finalising an Information Exchange Agreement (IEA) on aircraft carrier technologies, as well as cooperation on air wing operations for carrier Vikrant under construction at Kochi.

The IEA will formalise the exact technology that the U.S. will share and at what classification level, design side, operations among other things, a senior U.S. Admiral said. Both sides had already signed the Terms of Reference on June 17, 2015 during the first meeting of the India-U.S. Joint Working Group (JWG) on carrier technology cooperation.

“We provided them a draft when I visited them in February and it is going through the necessary channels of the Indian government to make sure you are ok with it. We are very close,” said Rear Admiral Tom Moore in an exclusive interview to The Hindu, in the US capital late last month. He is the U.S. Navy’s Program Executive Officer for Aircraft Carriers, and the Co-chair of the JWG. From the Indian side it is chaired by Vice Admiral G.S. Pubby, Controller for Warship Production and Acquisition.

“It is a necessary document to take the next step. We have made a lot of progress over the last year,” he noted.

EMALS technology

Once the IEA is in place a case will be put under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme of the U.S. government under which the Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) technology will be sold to India, if the Navy decides to buy it. The IEA found mention in the joint statement issued after talks between Mr. Carter and his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar.

India and the U.S. agreed to cooperate on aircraft carrier technologies as part of six “path-finder” projects under the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative during President Barack Obama’s visit to India in January last year.

Consequently the JWG was set up to explore possibility of installing the Electro Magnetic Aircraft Launch System (EMALS) under development by General Atomics on India’s second Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC-II) which is currently on the drawing board.

On the future roadmap of the JWG, Rear Adm Moore said that the US is currently engaged in a formal process of reviews required as per their law covering high technology sales to other countries and stated, “We are in the stage of looking into that and expect to finish that in the next 6-8 months which will allow us to come to a decision on sharing the technology.”

Meanwhile the Indian Navy too is carrying out a feasibility study to determine the characteristics of the carrier like propulsion, kind of aircraft and type of launch mechanism for which EMALS is under consideration. The Navy intends the carrier to be of 65,000 tons.

Cooperation on Vikrant

In addition to EMALS, the IEA has an agreement for cooperation on air wing operations for the first IAC - Vikrant which is currently in an advanced stage of construction and is on course to begin sea trials by September 2017 and aviation trials after December 2018.

Mr. Moore stated that there is a detailed process for testing, certification and delivery. “We can hold discussions on certifying the flight deck, testing and so on as you are doing it for the first time,” he said.

The third meeting of the Carrier Working Group is scheduled this summer around July in the US. “IEA will be done by then,” Mr. Moore added.

The US Navy has also offered courses related to carrier operations to Indian navy personnel at their Defence Acquisition University. The Indian side is currently reviewing the course catalogue and a decision is expected shortly.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...rcraft-carrier-cooperation/article8483827.ece

India does not face any immediate threat...US is arming india as its sinister proxy!

India does not face any immediate threat...US is arming inita as its sinister proxy!

List any 3 offensive weapons platforms from USA in service with Indian Armed forces. If you aren't ,then it should teach you how the Americans are doing mere lip service and lieing through their teeth which has had stopped many " To be done " cooperation. We will continue to buy transport aircrafts and more P8s, and maybe a few more Apaches. But this its near to " ZERO" when compared to the amount of weaponry Americans are donating to our adversary.

Sorry. Not true. The US of A only arms and disarms nations according to it's own, short, and long term 'self interests', and that here is containing China. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Btw, you being a Norwegian, maybe, one of the staunchest Yankee cheerleader on the forum. Ammmmerrikkka doz no wrong and Yindia iz not it's proxy......... don't run, we are your friends........ boom boom.

India is arming itself based on its needs and threat assessment. The US has sold India only what India wants, nothing more.

Sorry. Not true. The US of A only arms and disarms nations according to it's own, short, and long term 'self interests', and that here is containing China. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Btw, you being a Norwegian, maybe, one of the staunchest Yankee cheerleader on the forum. Ammmmerrikkka doz no wrong and Yindia iz not it's proxy......... don't run, we are your friends........ boom boom.
Sorry, but I too disagree with your view.

India is a paying customer. We buy technology from all over the world. How we use that technology is entirely upto us. In this case we are likely going to purchase EMALS for our Carrier to increase its Air wing output.

Your logic and somebozos would have credence if US were gifting us the technology for free or 'friendship prices'. Since, it is not the case...your presumptions are unfounded.

Sure, the US might like it if we fight China. But for us, what US likes or dislikes is not a factor. What takes our international goals further is the defining factor of our actions.

In your thoughts of US, you presume India to be without the ability of rational thought. We do what is in our interests. If our interests and some one else's coincides, good - we collaborate, if not, even better.

Last edited:

India is a paying customer. We buy technology from all over the world. How we use that technology is entirely upto us. In this case we are likely going to purchase EMALS for our Carrier to increase its Air wing output.

Your logic and somebozos would have credence if US were gifting us the technology for free or 'friendship prices'. Since, it is not the case...your presumptions are unfounded.

Sure, the US might like it if we fight China. But for us, what US likes or dislikes is not a factor. What takes our international goals further is the defining factor of our actions.

USA would like India to have its weapons , in case a scenario where USA and India needed to counter china ..

Weapons, training and logistics are in that direction..

India wouldn't do anything with USA interests alone.

it's capacity and interoperability building ... future necessity if it arises for both sides.

Paying customer you say? Let's see the day when US gives Saudi Arabia or Iran (mighty rich I might say) full control over nuclear fuel cycle. Oh please, go sell your bhaji somewhere else.

India is nothing more than US's latest lover affair, smile while it lasts as breakups with US of A, historically, tend to benefit only them........ the day they are done with you, the great US of A will be the abusing boyfriend and India will stop playing the satti savvitri role.

The last and longest lasting girlfriend......

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/16/politics/saudi-arabia-government-9-11-congress-bill/index.html

In your thoughts of US, you presume India to be without the ability of rational thought. We do what is in our interests. If our interests and some one else's coincides, good - we collaborate, if not, even better.

Well, in this case it's perfect convergence of interests....... AFPAK and China........ hence the synergy. Nothing to do with "Paying" customer...... if you play your cards right, all of the so called 'goodies' will land at your shores at half the price! :D

USA would like India to have its weapons , in case a scenario where USA and India needed to counter china ..

Weapons, training and logistics are in that direction..

India wouldn't do anything with USA interests alone.

it's capacity and interoperability building ... future necessity if it arises for both sides.

Paying customer you say? Let's see the day when US gives Saudi Arabia or Iran (mighty rich I might say) full control over nuclear fuel cycle. Oh please, go sell your bhaji somewhere else.

India is nothing more than US's latest lover affair, smile while it lasts as breakups with US of A, historically, tend to benefit only them........ the day they are done with you, the great US of A will be the abusing boyfriend and India will stop playing the satti savvitri role.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/16/politics/saudi-arabia-government-9-11-congress-bill/index.html

Well, in this case it's perfect convergence of interests....... AFPAK and China........ hence the synergy. Nothing to do with "Paying" customer...... if you play your cards right, all of the so called 'goodies' will land at your shores at half the price! :D
Here is the problem with you.

You are thinking that India in its foreign policy behaves like Pakistan. Get in to 'alliances' and have 'trust' and what not.

India on the other hand firmly believes in 'we have no permanent friends or enemies, only interests'. We partner US on a number of aspects globally. We oppose US on a number of aspects.

We are singularly responsible for stopping trade negotiations at WTO, stopping equal distribution of climate change obligation at Climate change conference - all of which the US is at the forefront of.

We cooperate with US and we fight US at the same time.
We cooperate with the US for the nuclear deal and in quid pro quo leave the IPI pipeline....and after a few years, we refuse to comply with the US sanctions and continue trading with Iran despite the world sanctioning them.

I hope you understand how India deals. As I said, for us, the only guiding factor for our actions are Indian interests. Sometimes they align with some countries, other times they go against those very same countries. We do what we must. Please do not presume to think that we are lambs. You do not become a big power by being lambs guided by foreign interests.

Only one hurdle is India doesn't want to lose its autonomy as well.
That's why Rafale instead of F35.

I am surprised how we bought c130, C17, Apache chinook, probably S70 .. And engines for LCA and probably AMCA as well...
That's a significant asset at risk of sanction already..

Chall bey salay, where did Pakistan come in all of a sudden? Furthermore, how India deals with the world? You people brazenly copy paste and acquire things illegally, from your mighty nuclear explosions... from first sounding rockets to cryogenic engines..... from the smallest and most insignificant things to the largest carriers....... the only difference between you, us, China and rest of world is...... you people are so ashamed of yourselves that you have to outright lie and announce how big your d*** is, whether it was enlarged using ToT or got it as a bhaint........... whereas, rest of us just say it, we got it by hook or crook! :D

Moreover, you don't have the guts to face the wrath of the US of A alone........... that will be the day when India grows the balls..... whereas us, proof is in the pudding..... shahmaat on Afghanistan....... anything else you'd like to add? INDIAN INTERESTSSSSSSSSSS.......

Here is the problem with you.

You are thinking that India in its foreign policy behaves like Pakistan. Get in to 'alliances' and have 'trust' and what not.

India on the other hand firmly believes in 'we have no permanent friends or enemies, only interests'. We partner US on a number of aspects globally. We oppose US on a number of aspects.

We are singularly responsible for stopping trade negotiations at WTO, stopping equal distribution of climate change obligation at Climate change conference - all of which the US is at the forefront of.

We cooperate with US and we fight US at the same time.
We cooperate with the US for the nuclear deal and in quid pro quo leave the IPI pipeline....and after a few years, we say we will not comply with the US sanctions and continue trading with Iran despite the world sanctioning them.

I hope you understand how India deals. As I said, for us, the only guiding factor for our actions are Indian interests.

Exactly..... in my personal opinion, from India's strategic pov, engine deal, particularly doesn't make any sense.......

Only one hurdle is India doesn't want to lose its autonomy as well.
That's why Rafale instead of F35.

I am surprised how we bought c130, C17, Apache chinook, probably S70 .. And engines for LCA and probably AMCA as well...
That's a significant asset at risk of sanction already..

Chall bey salay, where did Pakistan come in all of a sudden? Furthermore, how India deals with the world? You people brazenly copy paste and acquire things illegally, from your mighty nuclear explosions... from first sounding rockets to cryogenic engines..... from the smallest and most insignificant things to the largest carriers....... the only difference between you, us, China and rest of world is...... you people are so ashamed of yourselves that you have to outright lie and announce how big your d*** is, whether it was enlarged using ToT or got it as a bhaint........... whereas, rest of us just say it, we got it by hook or crook! :D

Moreover, you don't have the guts to face the wrath of the US of A alone........... that will be the day when India grows the balls..... whereas us, proof is in the pudding..... shahmaat on Afghanistan....... anything else you'd like to add? INDIAN INTERESTSSSSSSSSSS.......

Exactly..... in my personal opinion, from India's strategic pov, engine deal, particularly doesn't make any sense.......

Jealousy is a GOOD thing ; keep burning

Its okay if you don't know something. We can't all know everything on every subject. I am sure you are extra ordinary in your field - something to do with metallurgy if I recall correctly.

It would however be a pity if you don't use the opportunity to learn something new.

Climate change - the next big thing which will determine how fast India and under which regulation the rest of developing world grows from now on.

Why No Country Matters More Than India at the Paris Climate Talk
Why India Is Key to a Climate Change Agreement in Paris

Trade:
Reuters - India files trade complaint against U.S. over temporary work visas
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-despite-warmer-ties/articleshow/49868779.cms

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/desp...ndia-set-to-do-more-business-with-iran-569131

There are literally dozens of areas where India and US are working against each other.
There are many areas where India and US are working together.

As I said before. We don't believe in permanent friends or enemies. We know our interests and work towards them.

You as a Pakistani are prejudiced to even notice all these things. Forgive me for saying this, but Pakistanis tend to analyze things from a very juvenile and simplistic mindset.

Mate.... first of all not just metallurgy.... much more........ furthermore, I worked as an investment banker for a long time..... I know how the world works, the bureaucracy the odd deals that are done....... the tradeoffs that are made...... that's precisely my point, it's perfect synergy between US's and your interests, hence all the goodies....... my point being, call it what it is, and NOT that you can afford a technology, that's why you are getting it.... world rarely works in such simplistic ways.........

Its okay if you don't know something. We can't all know everything on every subject. I am sure you are extra ordinary in your field - something to do with metallurgy if I recall correctly.

It would however be a pity if you don't use the opportunity to learn something new.

Climate change - the next big thing which will determine how fast India and under which regulation the rest of developing world grows from now on.
http://time.com/4144843/india-paris-climate-change/
http://thediplomat.com/2015/11/why-india-is-key-to-a-climate-change-agreement-in-paris/
http://thediplomat.com/2015/11/why-india-is-key-to-a-climate-change-agreement-in-paris/

Trade:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-united-states-visa-idUSKCN0W6165
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-despite-warmer-ties/articleshow/49868779.cms
http://in.reuters.com/article/india-united-states-visa-idINKCN0W6163
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/desp...ndia-set-to-do-more-business-with-iran-569131

There are literally dozens of areas where India and US are working against each other.
There are many areas where India and US are working together.

As I said before. We don't believe in permanent friends or enemies. We know our interests and work towards them.

Chall bey manhoos.... and btw, what's with you name...... whipped recently?

Jealousy is a GOOD thing ; keep burning

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom