What's new

India to sign Logistic Support Agreement with US

TALWAR

BANNED
Reaction score
Antony likely to ink three pacts during US visit- Hindustan Times

Defence Minister A.K. Antony is likely to ink three pacts during his maiden US visit Sept 7-10, an official said in New Delhi on Monday.

Under one of these pacts, the Indian and US militaries can refuel ships and aircraft in cashless transactions that are balanced at the end of the year.

Apart from the Logistics Support Agreement (LSA), the other pacts are the Communication Inter-operability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMOA) that will enable the two militaries communicate on a common platform, and an end-user agreement governing the sale of US military hardware to India.

These pacts have been on the backburner for long due to the objections of the Left parties over the warming India-US military ties. With the communists having withdrawn their outside support to the government, which subsequently won a trust vote in parliament, the way is now clear for inking the agreements, a defence ministry official said.

"The LSA would require both countries to provide their bases, fuel and other kind of logistics support to each others' fighter jets and naval warships," the official told IANS, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Explaining the advantages of the agreement, the official said: "India is spending close to Rs.100 crore (Rs.1 billion) for participating in the ongoing Red Flag exercise with the US Air Force."

"Had an LSA been in place, India would not have had to physically pay the money but would have provided reciprocal facilities in this country whenever the US defence forces required them," the official added.

India's ambassador to the US Ronen Sen had met Antony here July 24 to discuss the three India-US pacts.

The US has agreements similar to the LSA in place with some 65 countries.

In most cases, it is called the Acquisition and Cross Servicing Agreement (ACSA) that was formerly known as the NATO Mutual Support Act. It was enacted to simplify exchanges of logistic support, supplies, and services between the US and NATO forces. It was amended in 1986, 1992 and 1994 to permit ACSAs with non-NATO countries.

With the Indian and US militaries increasing their engagement in war games on land, in the air and at sea, CISMOA has become a necessity to ensure there are no communication glitches.

"With the increasing number of military exercises between the countries, the pact is set to be given the green signal soon," the official said.

As for the end-user agreement, India has so far refused to sign it in its present form and has asked for modifications.

"It's like this: we purchase, say, night vision goggles from the US and deploy these on the LoC (Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir). Obviously, we cannot allow US inspectors to physically verify this," the official said.

"Therefore, we'll work out a system where we will certify where the equipment is located and the US will take our word for it," the official added.

this was expected after left is out of government good news indeed

Antony likely to ink three pacts during US visit- Hindustan Times

As for the end-user agreement, India has so far refused to sign it in its present form and has asked for modifications.

"It's like this: we purchase, say, night vision goggles from the US and deploy these on the LoC (Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir). Obviously, we cannot allow US inspectors to physically verify this," the official said.

"Therefore, we'll work out a system where we will certify where the equipment is located and the US will take our word for it," the official added.

What i had said all along!

This is a significnt step towards saying the geo political position. Hope with this we can use the deo garcia base in case of war (as an example) what u say ?
it may be usefull for the us for power projection in case of war with china or any other asian country but is it that significant for india apart from the support during red flag:what:i mean india presently has only regional ambitions.....

it may be usefull for the us for power projection in case of war with china or any other asian country but is it that significant for india apart from the support during red flag:what:i mean india presently has only regional ambitions.....

nope not only that just take an example of our navy going for exercises they can stop at any US base take the replenishment and cruise along.

oh dear i did not realise that even our navy would be involved........but then it will be useful for india only in exercises, as of now....

oh dear i did not realise that even our navy would be involved........but then it will be useful for india only in exercises, as of now....

nope take another example of our army getting deployed in some missions like the UN ones they can take the supplies from nearest US bases not all as equipments used by our forces are different but some essential equipments like medical supplies can be made available easily

now thats sensible:agree:guess its a good move as we have nothing to loose but a lot to gain.......i dont kow why the left is opposed to anything which is a 'potential' threat to china even if india benefits from it........they act like they are chinese nationals with indian citizenship.....i wonder why no one declares them 'anti national':tsk:

now thats sensible:agree:guess its a good move as we have nothing to loose but a lot to gain.......i dont kow why the left is opposed to anything which is a 'potential' threat to china even if india benefits from it........they act like they are chinese nationals with indian citizenship.....i wonder why no one declares them 'anti national':tsk:

they are used to committing "historical blunders" remember the famous protests in 1980's when they were against introducing computers for work! cos that was supposed to take away lot of jobs. No need to worry about it, remember we are democracy we have room for everybody. Not much to worry about.

u r right ........as they are out of the way now i think goi will be more independant in taking decisions.....but i am curious about one thing,do we have infrastructure to dock high value assets such as nimitz carriers in times of crisis........or say f-35 at our airbases as they are logistically different from our planes in terms of maintanance ,weapons............may be if the iaf selects the superbug there can be interoperability between iaf and usn.......

u r right ........as they are out of the way now i think goi will be more independant in taking decisions.....but i am curious about one thing,do we have infrastructure to dock high value assets such as nimitz carriers in times of crisis........or say f-35 at our airbases as they are logistically different from our planes in terms of maintanance ,weapons............may be if the iaf selects the superbug there can be interoperability between iaf and usn.......

wait and watch and see what and all happens.....

I don't think we can supply them with weapons and all but can supply them necessary fuel even that is a good help.

Lol. All of you are getting wayyy ahead of yourselves. US ships already berth in India for excercises or for continuation of the journey, except that each time individual permission is required. This would just mean that during excercises, it saves money of both the US and India.

US has this kind of agreements with dozens and dozens of countries! Its nothing special.

You are missing the thing which really is important. The fact that unlike most other countries who when they buy US equipment sign the standard EUA, we did not. US cannot even send in their people to our bases or sites to check the equipment forget about on-site inspections. We will provide guarentees and access records, thats it.

Back
Top Bottom