What's new

India, Saudi Arabia To Discuss Joint Weapon Projects

JanjaWeed

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI — India and Saudi Arabia will explore the joint development and production of weapons and equipment to control rising imports.

This decision followed Feb. 14 discussions in Riyadh between visiting Indian Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Saudi Defense Minister Prince Salman Bin, said sources in the Indian Defence Ministry.

Antony led an official two-day visit to Saudi Arabia Feb. 13-14, heading a defense team that included Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma; Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh, the Army vice chief; and Vice Adm. Satish Soni, the deputy Navy chief

An Indian Defence Ministry official said India and Saudi Arabia have decided to set up a panel to work out the path to defense cooperation.

“At the delegation-level talks, India and Saudi Arabia decided to set up a Joint Committee on Defence Cooperation to work out the contours of the relationship,” said Sitanshu Kar, a spokesman with the Defence Ministry.

India meets up to 70 percent of its weapon and equipment requirements through imports, and defense planners want to reduce that to less than 50 percent. India plans to spend about $100 billion on weapons and equipment during the next five years.

While no details on the proposed joint weapon development with Saudi Arabia are known, sources said the two countries have agreed in principle to boost joint ventures.

Antony and Salman Bin agreed to establish a joint committee to work out the details of future defense cooperation, including an agreement in the defense sector, said another Defence Ministry official.

Salman Bin agreed with Antony’s suggestion that a Saudi delegation visit Indian defense production facilities in the near future, the official said.

Currently, India is studying a Saudi proposal to set up a mountain warfare training school in Saudi Arabia.

India, Saudi Arabia To Discuss Joint Weapon Projects | Defense News | defensenews.com

Pakistan must strongly condemn such a move. We should convey outrage and deep concern over this. Foreign office should take note and summon their ambassador for an explanation.

I think this move is more so in response to China's veto on Syria. Regardless, we should convey our displeasure in strongest way possible and mention potential consequences should this happen. China should also follow suit and convey a message of consequences should this happen.

BTW, there's already a thread running on this. Mods merge plz.

Stop dreaming that every muslim nation hates india just because only you do and for your own good wake up

This directly affects Pakistan. India is our known adversary. Not to mention Kashmir dispute any potential joint-arms deal by our known ally with India should be of great concern to us. We should use all our diplomatic resources to convey outrage and consequences for such a move.

This would only prove to be counter productive for Pak-Saudi relations with far reaching consequences for generations to come.

This directly affects Pakistan. India is our known adversary. Not to mention Kashmir dispute any potential joint-arms deal by our known ally with India should be of great concern to us. We should use all our diplomatic resources to convey outrage and consequences for such a move.
when was saudi arabia your ally you cant claim to be each others allies just because both of you are islamic states mention any of your disputes with india in which saudi arabia provided you full support

This would only prove to be counter productive for Pak-Saudi relations with far reaching consequences for generations to come.

When Pakistan was building Iran-pak gas pipleline .... Tab tumako Saudi Arabia ka khayal nahi aaya .. Now it's payback time.

One more thing Saudi Arabia do not need pakistan to prosper but it is Pakistan who needs Saudi's oil that also on credit. :smitten:

when was saudi arabia your ally you cant claim to be each others allies just because both of you are islamic states mention any of your disputes with india in which saudi arabia provided you full support

I think it's pretty evident that we've had good relations with KSA over decades. Nonetheless, this move is counter productive to say the least.

I think it's pretty evident that we've had good relations with KSA over decades. Nonetheless, this move is counter productive to say the least.

Tell me one thing mate, who needs good pak-saudi relationship more - pakistan or KSA ?

The Saudis more

Why?

I am just asking because posts here give a feeling of insecurity from one side. This stuff, defence cooperation and military exercises, goes on between India and china too. why hasn't that been "counter productive" for pak-china relationship ?

Yes it is counter productive for pakistan but it is very very strategic move by Saudi Arabia by following reasons

1. Almost whole of Saudi Arabia defence equipment come from Western countries,It's risky to put all eggs on one basket.
2. USA will not allow Saudi to purchase weapon from Russia or China, No way from Israel.
3. What's left India that is not purchase but Joint production , it means jobs , skill development of Arabian Population and exposure to world class defence nitty gritty. and USA will not object for such initiative.

Benefit it will derive for India will be following..

1. Indian defence industry will have infuse of Petro dollors.
2. India can use it's relation as leverage against Pakistan's fuelling of cross-border terrorism.

what Pakistan can do : wait and watch :enjoy:

Conclusion: It's a fantastic move by both countries ... I bow before foreign diplomacy of India.

Why?

I am just asking because posts here give a feeling of insecurity from one side. This stuff, defence cooperation and military exercises, goes on between India and china too. why hasn't that been "counter productive" for pak-china relationship ?

Military exercise is completely different. Here we are discussing defence pact and potential joint-venture of weapons to be used against Pakistani interests. Read Jarha's post above.

Military exercise is completely different. Here we are discussing defence pact and potential joint-ventures of weapons to be used against Pakistani interests. Read Jarha's post above.

It will still be more like trade relationship than defence relationship. @Jarha is dreaming a little.

anyway, answer my first question first. who needs good pak-saudi relationship more, pakistan or KSA? and why?

I seriously thought this was going to happen when I heard Antony visited the Price directly..

Back
Top Bottom