What's new

In Pakistan, 1,000 women die in ‘honor killings’ annually. Why is this happening?

Inqhilab

Reaction score
Country
India
stoning.jpg

Farzana Parveen was stoned to death by her family outside a court in Pakistan. (Mohammad Tahir/Reuters)

On Tuesday, a pregnant 25-year-old woman was stoned to death by her family for marrying a man she loved.

The stoning took place in the middle of the day, outside a courthouse, beside a busy thoroughfare. The woman and her husband had been “in love,” her husband said, and they’d gone to a courthouse to sign the paperwork. Outside, the woman’s father, brothers and extended family waited. When the couple emerged, the family reportedly tried to snatch her, then murdered her.

“I killed my daughter as she had insulted all of our family by marrying a man without our consent, and I have no regret over it,” her father told police, adding that it had been an “honor killing.”

The anecdote is horrifying. But even more horrifying is the regularity with which honor killings and stonings occur in Pakistan. Despite creeping modernity, secular condemnation and the fact there’s no reference to stoning in the Koran, honor killings claim the lives of more than 1,000 Pakistani women every year, according to a Pakistani rights group.

They have widespread appeal. Eighty-three percent of Pakistanis support stonings for adultery according to a Pew survey, and only 8 percent oppose it. Even those who chose modernity over Islamic fundamentalism overwhelmingly favor stonings, according to Pew research.

It’s the year 2014. Why is this still happening?

Some Islamic fundamentalists think that only through the murder of an offending family member can honor be restored to the rest of the family. Honor killings predominantly affect women — 943 women were killed under such circumstances in 2011 and another 869 in 2013, though not all of them were stoned. Some were just gunned down in cold blood.

One man in Punjab province suspected his teenage nieces of having “inappropriate relations” with two boys. So on Jan. 11, he killed both girls, confessed and said he did it for “honor.”

Another teenage girl, living in Sukkur, was allegedly shot dead by her brother while she was doing homework because her brother thought she was sleeping with a man.

One mom and dad allegedly killed their 15-year-old daughter with acid because they said she looked at a boy and they ”feared dishonor.”

“There was a boy who came by on a motorcycle,” her father told BBC. My daughter “turned to look at him twice. I told her before not to do that; it’s wrong. People talk about us.”

The mother added: “She said ‘I didn’t do it on purpose. I won’t look again.’ By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way.”

Those who are stoned in an honor killing are oftentimes accused of committing adultery. Both genders face stonings in Pakistan and across 14 Muslim countries, but women are more frequently the targets.

The reason is rooted in sexual inequality in such countries, where the punishment has survived through some interpretations of sharia, or Islamic law, that say adultery is punishable by stoning. In countries such as Iran, where stonings are legal and widespread, men often have significantly more agency than women. If accused of adultery, they may have the means to either hire lawyers or flee. But those options are frequently closed to women.

One 13-year-old girl named Aisha Ibrahim Duhulow faced such a fate. The Somali child claimed she had been raped by three men and told the authorities what had happened. But her report did not spur an investigation into her allegations. Instead, the girl was accused of adultery, buried up to her neck inside a stadium and stoned to death before 1,000 people.

Can anything stop the stonings?

It’s unclear. A petition circulated last year that netted 12,000 signatures called on the United Nations to enact international laws against stonings. But regardless of international pressure, rights activists say the number of stonings and honor killings have continued to climb in Pakistan.

“Stoning is a cruel and hideous punishment,” a spokesman for Women Living Under Muslim Laws told the Independent. “It is a form of torturing someone to death. It is one of the most brutal forms of violence perpetrated against women in order to control and punish their sexuality and basic freedoms.”

Terrence McCoy is a foreign affairs writer at the Washington Post. He served in the U.S. Peace Corps in Cambodia and studied international politics at Columbia University. Follow him on Twitter here.

In Pakistan, 1,000 women die in ‘honor killings’ annually. Why is this happening?

It’s the year 2014. Why is this still happening?

Because Pakistani men do not want to allow Pakistani women to marry by their own free will. It is a social decision, mutually supported and enforced.

If on average 30 men participated in each of such stone killing, that will be 30,000 men who are criminals and should be setenced to death.

I hope you pass a law that cut those bastards dxxks off before giving those bastards bullets.

Let's see after 30,000 dxxk-less men setenced to death, any fxxkers dare to do that again???

In Chaotic time, severe punishment should be used.

乱世当用重典。Desperate diseases must have desperate remedies

This is the 21st Century - woman - can decide for themselves - who to love, and who to marry, any man or woman that kills someone just for falling in love, deserves to be hung by their busker browns.

To: OP

Honour killings: India's crying shame

According to statistics from the United Nations, one in five cases of honour killing internationally every year comes from India. Of the 5000 cases reported internationally, 1000 are from India. Non-governmental organisations put the number at four times this figure. They claim it is around 20,000 cases globally every year.

For more details read article of nupur on al jazeera

Nupur Basu is a senior journalist, media educator and an award-winning documentary film-maker. Among her five independent documentaries is "No Country for Young Girls".

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.

Source: Al Jazeera

pakistan has the same problem in such a great number.

saying india has it as well does not mean much to your own problem.

If on average 30 men participated in each of such stone killing, that will be 30,000 men who are criminals and should be setenced to death.

I hope you pass a law that cut those bastards dxxks off before giving those bastards bullets.

Let's see after 30,000 dxxk-less men setenced to death, any fxxkers dare to do that again???
To: OP

Honour killings: India's crying shame

According to statistics from the United Nations, one in five cases of honour killing internationally every year comes from India. Of the 5000 cases reported internationally, 1000 are from India. Non-governmental organisations put the number at four times this figure. They claim it is around 20,000 cases globally every year.

For more details read article of nupur on al jazeera

Nupur Basu is a senior journalist, media educator and an award-winning documentary film-maker. Among her five independent documentaries is "No Country for Young Girls".

The views expressed in this article are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect Al Jazeera's editorial policy.

Source: Al Jazeera

Indians need to stop just pointing the finger at Pakistan, when it's the same if not worse in India, rape, sexual harassment, women's rights, child sexual abuse etc happens on a bigger scale in India. So please before Indians try and pretend how their country is so wonderful, clean up your own country then point fingers.

Because Pakistani men do not want to allow Pakistani women to marry by their own free will. It is a social decision, mutually supported and enforced.

They should be thanking the stars they don't know what goes on in Western countries. Primarily the US.

They should be thanking the stars they don't know what goes on in Western countries. Primarily the US.

Oh yes. Thanking the stars is so much easier because they can see them so much brighter when sitting in the dark with loadshedding, right? :D

combinedscaleandsanctionofrape20113.png

It is said that this is a battle between 8th century values and 21st century values...

I hope the 21st century values win before the 22nd century!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom