What's new

How Indonesia and the Philippines Solved Their Maritime Dispute

GR!FF!N

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The recent conclusion of negotiations over maritime boundaries between Indonesia and the Philippines was a significant development for the two ASEAN member states. Their negotiation commenced in June 1994 and was dormant until 2003.

The positive turn came amidst rising tensions in the South China Sea sparked by worsening disputes over competing maritime claims. The successful conclusion of the talks between Jakarta and Manila holds important lessons for all claimant states over disputed waters in the South China Sea.

How it began

In December 2003, I was assigned to jumpstart the maritime boundaries negotiation with the Philippines that was left dormant by both countries for almost a decade. I worked with my counterpart until 2010 when I left for Brussels, with my successor continuing the negotiation until it was completed and signed just last month on May 23, 2014 in Manila.

Negotiations on maritime boundaries require patience and resolve. It is a long haul. Negotiation with the Philippines is particularly significant because Indonesia and the Philippines are two of the largest archipelagic countries in the world, initiators of the archipelagic legal principle, and member states of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Yet the Philippines was left with the historical issue of the rectangular line of the Treaty of Paris of 1898, which ended the Spanish-American War but left behind unclear territorial boundaries with Manila’s neighbors.

Indonesia disputed the rectangular line of this Treaty on the ground that it did not conform with UNCLOS 1982, which Indonesia and the Philippines are parties to.

It was a complicated issue for both countries because Indonesia rejected the claim. While my Philippine counterpart understood the reasons for our objection, they were under intense domestic pressure to somehow keep the Treaty of Paris on the table. The Philippines eventually aligned its position with UNCLOS 1982 and thus cleared the way for the conclusion of the maritime boundaries negotiation. The alignment of the Philippines position with UNCLOS 1982 can be seen as commendable state practice in international law.

Negotiation over Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI)

When maritime boundaries negotiations were going on between Indonesia and the Philippines as well as Indonesia and Malaysia, I was also involved in 2007 in the negotiation over the Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI) – a multilateral partnership of six countries – Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste and Solomon Islands.

Of these countries, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Timor-Leste had no maritime boundaries in 2007.

Yet they managed to work together, even establishing a Secretariat, to address the urgent threats facing the coastal and marine resources of one of the most biologically diverse and ecologically rich regions on earth.

On another front, in the busiest waters on earth – the Strait of Malacca and Singapore – the three littoral states of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore have been able to work together in the areas with little maritime boundaries, all for the larger good.

Two lessons for South China Sea claimants

There are two important lessons arising from the negotiations between Indonesia and the Philippines over their bilateral maritime boundaries.

Firstly, whether you like it or not, the current prevailing law to settle maritime boundaries is UNCLOS. This is true regardless of your historical record, even if it is 115 years old. If a rectangular line map from a century-old Treaty had to be aligned with UNCLOS, aligning a dash-line map that was created only in the mid-1940s with UNCLOS should be relatively problem-free.

While there is a difference in shape between the rectangular line of the Treaty of Paris that the Philippines previously used with Indonesia, and the nine dash-line map that China currently bases its maritime claims in the South China Sea on, they share one similarity: both are unilateral expressions of claims that are not based on international law. The first Indonesia-Philippines maritime boundary signifies the emergence of a state practice whereby in a maritime boundary dispute a unilateral proclamation of maps will eventually be aligned with prevailing international law.

Secondly, the claimants need not look far to see how countries in the region can work together for the larger interest over a large swath of waters devoid of maritime boundaries.

The larger interest in CTI is the protection of the environment; in the Straits of Malacca, it is maritime security.

They are public goods promoted and protected by countries regardless of the lack of maritime boundaries.

These are concrete and excellent state practices in Southeast Asia. These are also clear examples demonstrating that we in Southeast Asia do have a culture of international law.

Therefore, the recent escalations in the overlapping claims in the South China Sea are not the regional norm.

They are an anomaly to the existing state practice in Southeast Asia and must be corrected.

It is my conviction that all claimant states in the South China Sea, especially China, which is also a Permanent Member of the UN Security Council, carry the moral, political, and legal responsibility of creating peace and stability in the world and are able to work together peacefully.

Asia could very well be a world leader in conflict prevention and management of disputes regardless of the existence of boundaries. This can be done by putting the larger common interest and public goods, namely regional stability and security, over and above narrow national views. Are we up to the test?

How Indonesia and the Philippines Solved Their Maritime Dispute | The Diplomat

@Viet @ManilaBoy45 @Nihonjin1051 @Zero_wing @Indos @Chinese-Dragon

and other members........your thought.............

How about you try to convince and talk to the Pinoy govt that there is a dispute because they said there was no dispute with China, therefore there was no need to resolve through negotiation. This means that they want us to surrender our de facto territories in Spratly. Who do they think they are playing with? Either willing to go to war with us or talk. We accept both. It is their choice. We make it easy.

How about you try to convince and talk to the Pinoy govt that there is a dispute because they said there was no dispute with China, therefore there was no need to resolve through negotiation. This means that they want us to surrender our de facto territories in Spratly. Who do they think they are playing with? Either willing to go to war with us or talk. We accept both. It is their choice. We make it easy.
They go to international court, let court judge who does the island belong to, Negotiation?! fcuk off, hehe!

Arogance nothign to talk about

@xunzi

I think you're wrong.if they didn't see it as a "Dispute",then they'd not go to ICJ in the first place,would they??even Vietnam chose the same path.sorry to say,it was China who acted like you said.read this....

Tribunal in The Hague asks China to defend sea claims ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

China refused to take part in that case.still,ICA gave time till Dec 15.

now,China's reply against VN's appeal in UN.

The Chinese envoy stressed that Xisha Islands are an inherent part of China's territory, over which there is no dispute.

China sends note to UN chief to clarify Xisha situation - China.org.cn

don't you find similarity with your claim??but the only difference is,its China.in fact,it is true that China doesn't recognize these as any "Dispute",and pressuring for "Status Quo" while they're expanding their presence.

anyway,I just posted the news.its better if you guys(Member of China,Vietnam,Philippines and Indonesia) discuss this topic.

Because this fools simply think they are bigger they better same bull that started WW2 and all the wars in history simply people have not learn anything they just simply old they have not grow up yet

It was Indonesia who proactively persuade Manila to sit in the table and discuss the matter with cool head manner. Reasonably, we adopt the similar standing with all of our neighbor although sometimes we get a little annoying rant from Far Right elements in Indonesia society when matter with Malaysia is involved. With Phil. we had no problems with them at all, their people is very reasonable and only their politicians and sometimes media coverage is sometimes acting with misbehaving manner.

@xunzi

I think you're wrong.if they didn't see it as a "Dispute",then they'd not go to ICJ in the first place,would they??even Vietnam chose the same path.sorry to say,it was China who acted like you said.read this....

Tribunal in The Hague asks China to defend sea claims ‹ Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

China refused to take part in that case.still,ICA gave time till Dec 15.

now,China's reply against VN's appeal in UN.

The Chinese envoy stressed that Xisha Islands are an inherent part of China's territory, over which there is no dispute.

China sends note to UN chief to clarify Xisha situation - China.org.cn

don't you find similarity with your claim??but the only difference is,its China.in fact,it is true that China doesn't recognize these as any "Dispute",and pressuring for "Status Quo" while they're expanding their presence.

anyway,I just posted the news.its better if you guys(Member of China,Vietnam,Philippines and Indonesia) discuss this topic.
What is the point if you doesn't respect and listen to our position? If you already make up your mind, then stop bothering us with your nonsense. For one, Xisha (Paracel) is completely under our control. All islands, rocks, and reefs are under our control. There is no dispute. In Spratly, there are multiple parties claimed and occupied various islands, reefs, and rocks. The Philippine doesn't think there is any dispute. Then there is no need for bilateral settlement. We have nothing to say.

Arogance nothign to talk about
You see, this lunatic Pinoy in here. @GR!FF!N You see the typical response like this. How do you expect we can talk?

What is the point if you doesn't respect and listen to our position? If you already make up your mind, then stop bothering us with your nonsense. For one, Xisha (Paracel) is completely under our control. All islands, rocks, and reefs are under our control. There is no dispute. In Spratly, there are multiple parties claimed and occupied various islands, reefs, and rocks. The Philippine doesn't think there is any dispute. Then there is no need for bilateral settlement. We have nothing to say.

You see, this lunatic Pinoy in here. @GR!FF!N You see the typical response like this. How do you expect we can talk?

There's really nothing to talk about.

Like Qin dynasty, eventually we will have to make our statement. I mean unfortunately like Qin it is a bit premature, but it is never the less, going to happen eventually anyways.

It's not like our rise won't harm someone. At some point our influence will eat into others, if it's not this it's something else.

We just need to beat back the coalition for us to be successful.

In this case, it cannot be simpler, right now it's just a matter of time.

This isn't really about the seas, it's Vietnam and Philippines as well as Japan refusal to recognize China for what it is. South Koreans accepted China as a huge country and is willing to negotiate, and with them our relationship has always been good. It's not like the Koreans don't have some pretty big claims, but in the end as long as we can both find a way forward that we can both accept, the claims matters very little.

he is not Phil representative or whatsoever, heck i am very doubt if he actually working in Phil gov. Just a single rant from an Phil. citizen doesn't all of them is irrational bunch

Man so full bull and its Philippines typical chinamen forgetting the s so stupid and again that's our line wow your even stealing that! You $wines are real top pirates

he is not Phil representative or whatsoever, heck i am very doubt if he actually working in Phil gov. Just a single rant from an Phil. citizen doesn't all of them is irrational bunch

Actual i work with the Philippine govenrment on local level it was part of my education any not important yes its opnion base on my knowleadge on political science and as far as irrational please check again

The recent conclusion of negotiations over maritime boundaries between Indonesia and the Philippines was a significant development for the two ASEAN member states. Their negotiation commenced in June 1994 and was dormant until 2003.

The positive turn came amidst rising tensions in the South China Sea sparked by worsening disputes over competing maritime claims. The successful conclusion of the talks between Jakarta and Manila holds important lessons for all claimant states over disputed waters in the South China Sea.

How it began

In December 2003, I was assigned to jumpstart the maritime boundaries negotiation with the Philippines that was left dormant by both countries for almost a decade. I worked with my counterpart until 2010 when I left for Brussels, with my successor continuing the negotiation until it was completed and signed just last month on May 23, 2014 in Manila.

Negotiations on maritime boundaries require patience and resolve. It is a long haul. Negotiation with the Philippines is particularly significant because Indonesia and the Philippines are two of the largest archipelagic countries in the world, initiators of the archipelagic legal principle, and member states of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

Yet the Philippines was left with the historical issue of the rectangular line of the Treaty of Paris of 1898, which ended the Spanish-American War but left behind unclear territorial boundaries with Manila’s neighbors.

Indonesia disputed the rectangular line of this Treaty on the ground that it did not conform with UNCLOS 1982, which Indonesia and the Philippines are parties to.

It was a complicated issue for both countries because Indonesia rejected the claim. While my Philippine counterpart understood the reasons for our objection, they were under intense domestic pressure to somehow keep the Treaty of Paris on the table. The Philippines eventually aligned its position with UNCLOS 1982 and thus cleared the way for the conclusion of the maritime boundaries negotiation. The alignment of the Philippines position with UNCLOS 1982 can be seen as commendable state practice in international law.

Negotiation over Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI)

When maritime boundaries negotiations were going on between Indonesia and the Philippines as well as Indonesia and Malaysia, I was also involved in 2007 in the negotiation over the Coral Triangle Initiative (CTI) – a multilateral partnership of six countries – Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste and Solomon Islands.

Of these countries, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Timor-Leste had no maritime boundaries in 2007.

Yet they managed to work together, even establishing a Secretariat, to address the urgent threats facing the coastal and marine resources of one of the most biologically diverse and ecologically rich regions on earth.

On another front, in the busiest waters on earth – the Strait of Malacca and Singapore – the three littoral states of Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore have been able to work together in the areas with little maritime boundaries, all for the larger good.

Two lessons for South China Sea claimants

There are two important lessons arising from the negotiations between Indonesia and the Philippines over their bilateral maritime boundaries.

Firstly, whether you like it or not, the current prevailing law to settle maritime boundaries is UNCLOS. This is true regardless of your historical record, even if it is 115 years old. If a rectangular line map from a century-old Treaty had to be aligned with UNCLOS, aligning a dash-line map that was created only in the mid-1940s with UNCLOS should be relatively problem-free.

While there is a difference in shape between the rectangular line of the Treaty of Paris that the Philippines previously used with Indonesia, and the nine dash-line map that China currently bases its maritime claims in the South China Sea on, they share one similarity: both are unilateral expressions of claims that are not based on international law. The first Indonesia-Philippines maritime boundary signifies the emergence of a state practice whereby in a maritime boundary dispute a unilateral proclamation of maps will eventually be aligned with prevailing international law.

Secondly, the claimants need not look far to see how countries in the region can work together for the larger interest over a large swath of waters devoid of maritime boundaries.

The larger interest in CTI is the protection of the environment; in the Straits of Malacca, it is maritime security.

They are public goods promoted and protected by countries regardless of the lack of maritime boundaries.

These are concrete and excellent state practices in Southeast Asia. These are also clear examples demonstrating that we in Southeast Asia do have a culture of international law.

Therefore, the recent escalations in the overlapping claims in the South China Sea are not the regional norm.

They are an anomaly to the existing state practice in Southeast Asia and must be corrected.

It is my conviction that all claimant states in the South China Sea, especially China, which is also a Permanent Member of the UN Security Council, carry the moral, political, and legal responsibility of creating peace and stability in the world and are able to work together peacefully.

Asia could very well be a world leader in conflict prevention and management of disputes regardless of the existence of boundaries. This can be done by putting the larger common interest and public goods, namely regional stability and security, over and above narrow national views. Are we up to the test?

How Indonesia and the Philippines Solved Their Maritime Dispute | The Diplomat

@Viet @ManilaBoy45 @Nihonjin1051 @Zero_wing @Indos @Chinese-Dragon

and other members........your thought.............
This is how you do it in a civilized world. Indonesia is indeed a trusted friend.

Back
Top Bottom