What's new

Govt sitting on proposals to sell BrahMos missile

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
India
brahmosb-Copy.jpg

India has the world’s fastest anti-ship cruise missile, BrahMos, which a number of countries want to buy. However, a lack of clarity in the defence exports policy means that it has not yet been sold.

BrahMos is a short-range ramjet supersonic cruise missile that can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land. It is a joint venture between Russia’s NPO Mashinostroeyenia and the Defence Research and Development Organisation of India. They have formed BrahMos Aerospace Private Limited to make the missile.

The name BrahMos is a portmanteau formed from the names of two rivers, the Brahmaputra of India and the Moskva of Russia.

Sources told FE that despite the Indian government receiving proposals for BrahMos from countries as diverse as Vietnam to Chile, discussions are not moving to the next level.

The missile system has caught the attention of a number of countries in the Latin America such as Argentina, Venezuela, Chile and Brazil, besides South Africa, as it has been developed at a low budget of $300 million.

India’s ambassador to Chile, Debraj Pradhan, recently told FE, “The Chilean armed forces are interested in buying the BrahMos missile. There have been active discussions between the two sides but the Chilean side is yet to decide on the version it is looking to procure.”

“There is tremendous opportunity for Indian defence companies to participate in modernisation of the Chilean armed forces. Chiefs of the armed forces from both sides talked about exploiting the potential in shipbuilding, radar systems, submarines and joint training,” he said.

Several Latin American countries have been in talks with officials from BrahMos and expressed interest in mobile autonomous launchers for coastal defence batteries, ship-based weapons complex for submarines and frigates.

India’s eagerness to export homemade items has been more pronounced after the ‘Make in India’ call from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who also pitches for export of defence items to friendly countries.

The agreement between India and Russia for development of the advanced BrahMos system allows the use of the missile in both countries’ armed forces and export to other friendly countries. Owing to this, countries from Latin America and southeast Asia have expressed their interest for the missile system.

Though there have been demands and several READ MORE AT :> http://www.indiandaily.in/govt-sitting-proposals-sell-brahmos-missile/

Russian or Russian designed weapons going to South America would trigger a major diplomatic crisis...

Apart from that.. If they want ... They could buy yakhont directly from Russia like the Vietnamese etc (whom India offered Brahms aka yakhkont).

The missile’s seeker, guidance, navigation and fire control systems are all India’s responsibility for manufacturing along with the firing mechanism are all Indian and BrahMos has a greater tactical value over Yakhont. While Yakhont is an anti-shipcruise missile only and can be fired from ships, BrahMos can be used against any land or seabased target and can be fired from any platform be it land, sea, air or underwater.

Russian or Russian designed weapons going to South America would trigger a major diplomatic crisis...

Not, if its designed and developed in Partnership with India with fairly all major subsystems except propulsion being of Indian origin. No Diplomatic crisis what so ever. Are you guys not a market for China, Russia and US at the same time??

The missile’s seeker, guidance, navigation and fire control systems are all India’s responsibility for manufacturing along with the firing mechanism are all Indian and BrahMos has a greater tactical value over Yakhont. While Yakhont is an anti-shipcruise missile only and can be fired from ships, BrahMos can be used against any land or seabased target and can be fired from any platform be it land, sea, air or underwater.

Not, if its designed and developed in Partnership with India with fairly all major subsystems except propulsion being of Indian origin. No Diplomatic crisis what so ever. Are you guys not a market for China, Russia and US at the same time??

lol okay.. Lol

Can you educate us all what you found funny apart from your own statement on BRAHMOS?

Yeah .. I've dissecting this whole drama several times .. I'm literally fed up of doing the same once again..:lol:

Yeah .. I've dissecting this whole drama several times .. I'm literally fed up of doing the same once again..:lol:

Ok! Please guide me to your dissections if you dont want to put up a drama. I too am literally fed up seeing silly one liners from those who have nothing better to contribute, certainly I hope you are not one among them.

I'm sorry man.. I don't spoon feed kids.. Try again.

Well I'd rather say you caught your own tongue . I was wrong in thinking to learn a thing or two from a guy with over 30K+ posts. Glad I've realized you dont have anything more than what I have said already or in other words you dont spoon feed kids like me. :lol:

Well I'd rather say you caught your own tongue . I was wrong in thinking to learn a thing or two from a guy with over 30K+ posts. Glad I've realized you dont have anything more than what I have said already or in other words you dont spoon feed kids like me. :lol:

What did you expect, his bias over rides his common sense.
Our defense tech improving just makes them itch with denial.

What did you expect, his bias over rides his common sense.
Our defense tech improving just makes them itch with denial.

Second that. May be its time to drop it move on. I am fed up seeing their apples burn.

why are they just sitting on it

You missed the metaphor in it!!

I though only the Filipinos and Vietnamese were interested.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom